Chris Tillman Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was speaking more to before he was brought up last year.

Then to, I was positive but not overtly. Weams and LJ were more actively promoting his cause.

I have always been more positive on Tillman and Matusz and less so on Jake.

Of course all of this is the exact opposite of a big deal and I have to go take make cookies out of the oven. :)

Then to, I was positive but not overtly. Weams and LJ were more actively promoting his cause.

I have always been more positive on Tillman and Matusz and less so on Jake.

Of course all of this is the exact opposite of a big deal and I have to go take make cookies out of the oven. :)

No, not at all, but looking back at it I was wrong. So, apologies to OFFNY. The thread from last year was started by LJ and I came in about the middle of it because I didn't have premium mlb.tv at the time and couldn't watch his MiL starts.

I did remember making an assessment of CT, though, and thinking with his size and arm slot he could be something if he could settle down with his mechanics. Luckily, that was taken care of through Peterson and Griffin although he now ascribes most of this to Adair. Adair may have reinforced the changes but I thought the what he did mechanically was done after being sent down to Norfolk and working with Peterson.

In any case, I did appreciate LJ's and weams early scouting reports. I was not one of those who ever gave up on him.

What is with this? He wasn't the only one trumpeting Chris' future success. Check the threads and you'll see Weams and mysef there saying the same things. L.J. probably saw more of his MiL outings the year he was called up, but there were a few of us who saw his potential.

SO CAL BIRD FAN o

WEAMS

CAN OF CORN

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/24)

IP:. 7

H:o 5

R:O 1

BB: 1 *

SO: 9

Pitches: 113 (75 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.62

* Tillman also has 1 hit batsman (on a foul tip.)

Once again I don't get why Buck won't just turn him loose one of these starts. I wouldn't recommend he go 125-150 every start but certainly doesn't look like he needs to be coddled out there.

Once again I don't get why Buck won't just turn him loose one of these starts. I wouldn't recommend he go 125-150 every start but certainly doesn't look like he needs to be coddled out there.

Two words, pitch count. Modern day managers love the pitch count. There isn't some number that applies to every guy. Tillman is the epitome of this, a big guy with no history of arm trouble who usually gets stronger as the game goes on.

Dr Andrews puts pitch counts for 17 year olds at 105. I'm sure that grown men who are professional ball players can exceed that by 10 or 15 pitches.

Two words, pitch count. Modern day managers love the pitch count. There isn't some number that applies to every guy. Tillman is the epitome of this, a big guy with no history of arm trouble who usually gets stronger as the game goes on.

Dr Andrews puts pitch counts for 17 year olds at 105. I'm sure that grown men who are professional ball players can exceed that by 10 or 15 pitches.

The most amazing thing to me is that Tilman with a bullpen like last year would be a 20 game winner. Johnson's three blown saves, this blown game in the 8th. In 3 of those games he pitched 7 or 8 innings giving up 1 run each.

So frustrating that this anemic offense and just-lousy-enough bullpen blew another win for Tillman. He was about the only reason left to watch this week, as I'd hoped to see him get to 18 wins. Should've known better...

17 starts this season with giving up 2 runs or less.

People may say we need an Ace but I think we have one. The big knock was his innings per start but if you look at the stats since the break he has been consistant. 9 out of 13 starts 7 innings or more.

17 starts this season with giving up 2 runs or less.

People may say we need an Ace but I think we have one. The big knock was his innings per start but if you look at the stats since the break he has been consistant. 9 out of 13 starts 7 innings or more.

And the big pitch for him in that time has been the improvement of his CH. It has become a devastating pitch to LHB he uses for a SO pitch. He was elevating the pitch and now consistently keeps it down with good arm side run away from them, but he'll throw it occasionally to RHB. When he has all three pitches working, look out. A few times he threw a first pitch CB to hitters tonight for a strike and I thought, "Not fair."

It's not the changeup that catches my attention the most. Last night Tillman pitched one of his better games of his career. What was different besides good control? Wieters actually set up inside with fastballs and Tillman was hitting the corner.

Strikeouts go up, home runs are eliminated. Hitters are off balance.

Shocker. Who would have known that pitching to both sides of the plate makes you a more effective pitcher?

Where the hell was that all year Wieters?

A bad outing for Tillman in the season finale, but the Orioles pulled out the win.

We owed him one.

Excellent season overall for Chris.

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. RED SOX, 9/29)

IP:. 5

H:o 8

R:O 5

ER:)4

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 88 (52 Strikes, 36 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.71

Archived