Ayala Traded

wingman123

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year Ayala only induced 6 double plays in 63 opportunities (9.5%). On top of it he allowed 44% of his inherited runners to score. Just for comparison, Hunter actually got the most double plays last year with 21 in 118 opportunities (17.8%). BTW, league average is 12%.

Wow. Never would have thought that. Apparently my memory blows. Guess my fondness for Ayala over Hunter is just a gut thing.

Good find. My mistake.

I wouldn't have liked to see this happen prior to this year, but the way he's been pitching this year makes this move a lot easier.

Ayala was not good last year. He had a good ERA, but that does not tell the story. Tony mentioned earlier, "On top of it he allowed 44% of his inherited runners to score." The way he is pitching this year is how he pitched last year, not good. If he came in last year with runners on, they had a good chance of scoring. I want relievers that the majority of the time shut the door when they come into the game. The O's just have better options this year than Ayala.

Ayala was not good last year. He had a good ERA, but that does not tell the story. Tony mentioned earlier, "On top of it he allowed 44% of his inherited runners to score." The way he is pitching this year is how he pitched last year, not good. If he came in last year with runners on, they had a good chance of scoring. I want relievers that the majority of the time shut the door when they come into the game. The O's just have better options this year than Ayala.

That's just false. Inherited runners are just one aspect of relief pitching. He had a 1.8 WAR, and 1.1 WPA. The WPA number takes into account what he did with the inherited runners and shows that overall he contributed to winning. 1.1 WPA is a good solid number for a reliever.

The Orioles weren't going to stick with an eight man bullpen for very long. Very few of the other members have options, including Hunter, so, they got rid of the oldest pitcher on their team by five years - I'm OK with this. I thought Ayala did OK last year (and the year before with the Yankees) but the chances of him replicating this go down as his age goes up into the second half of his 30's. Something had to be done and this isn't terrible. Jones seems to me to be an OK lefty with a little bit of promise. I don't know if he'll ever make it to the big leagues as a LOOGY or not but I think he's about the type of talent you can expect to get for a guy like Ayala.

The Orioles weren't going to stick with an eight man bullpen for very long. Very few of the other members have options, including Hunter, so, they got rid of the oldest pitcher on their team by five years - I'm OK with this. I thought Ayala did OK last year (and the year before with the Yankees) but the chances of him replicating this go down as his age goes up into the second half of his 30's. Something had to be done and this isn't terrible. Jones seems to me to be an OK lefty with a little bit of promise. I don't know if he'll ever make it to the big leagues as a LOOGY or not but I think he's about the type of talent you can expect to get for a guy like Ayala.

Should have gotten rid of Hunter. Now who do you get to take Hunter's place when he is DFA? Steve Johnson can replace Arrieta.

That's just false. Inherited runners are just one aspect of relief pitching. He had a 1.8 WAR, and 1.1 WPA. The WPA number takes into account what he did with the inherited runners and shows that overall he contributed to winning. 1.1 WPA is a good solid number for a reliever.

Yeah, it seems like some have a need to bad-mouth people who leave. Ayala's not a top reliever, but he contributed well last season. He came through in the clutch a lot of times and was an important factor in many of their extra innings victories. Not to mention he was regarded as a guy who kept his teammates loose when it was needed.

Duquette quote on Jones from roch today:

"He made a big step last year in Double-AA in the second half of the year. You can see that in his walk/strikeout ratio. He struck out almost 10 batters per nine innings. He also saved a couple games late in the year, so he's very good against left-handed hitters but also a very capable pitcher. We see him as a left-handed reliever in the big leagues."

He has 3 year of minor league service time so we'll have him for a few more years. I cant find his 2012 second half stats but i'll take DD's word for it.

I think that, in effect, this trade is actually Jones plus TJ McFarland for Ayala. Had we kept Ayala, it would have been more difficult to keep McFarland all season, IMO, and McFarland must be offered back to Cleveland if we don't keep him on the 25-man roster.

Duquette quote on Jones from roch today:

"He made a big step last year in Double-AA in the second half of the year. You can see that in his walk/strikeout ratio. He struck out almost 10 batters per nine innings. He also saved a couple games late in the year, so he's very good against left-handed hitters but also a very capable pitcher. We see him as a left-handed reliever in the big leagues."

He has 3 year of minor league service time so we'll have him for a few more years. I cant find his 2012 second half stats but i'll take DD's word for it.

Actually, he's been in the minors for 6 years and will be a minor-league free agent at the end of this season.

Actually, he's been in the minors for 6 years and will be a minor-league free agent at the end of this season.

Unless he is put on the 40-man roster. The Orioles would then have three more years of options. Theoretically, the Orioles could control him for nine more years if he didn't see the big leagues until his options ran out and they kept until free agency.

Archived