Ayala Traded

wingman123

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Jones went 2-5 with 3.90 ERA last year at AA for Atl. Is 24 yr old LHP with career mark of 24-20 and 3.55 ERA.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">April 10, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well I'll try to keep up with such professional reporting such as this, but I gave it a quick try. ;)

http://www.orioleshangout.com/blog/tonys-take/505/orioles-trade-ayala-for-minor-league-lhp-chris-jones

Yeah, As I have often stated, I think Ayala needs a clean inning and that our bullpen is not built to use him in that role.

I was concerned that his hangover and dehydration might keep a trade from occurring. Glad it did not.

Michael, I hope you are kidding. Are you saying that the reason Ayala got dizzy and had to go to the hospital was a hangover?

I think you can make a case that Ayala is the better bet to be more dependable but you can also make a case that Hunter can be as good or better and the O's control him for more years.

True, but you can make a case for anyone. Hunter has shown me nothing, but a VERY occasional flash on the radar gun, and a hell of a lot of long balls. Ayala was a 2 seamer/double play inducing machine. Id have just rather gone year to year on him, than hope more guys step up...i feel like we pushed beyond that wait and see stage last year.

Not a lot to get all spun up about here. Getting younger and being able to hold onto TJ is the primary plus. If we get anything out of Chris Jones it will be a bonus.

Exactly. Not having to use a roster spot on Ayala and being able to hold onto T.J. is the biggest benefit. We also save a negligible amount of salary. For a penny-pinching team like the Orioles -weather it's because of Angelos or because Duquette is thrifty or both - it could potentially justify adding some short-term salary at the trade deadline.

I'm always weary of a minor league reliever who gives up more hits than innings pitched and that's only in AA.

He was probably working on something new ... something that DD seemed to like. Dan specifically referred to his performance the 2nd half of last year. Maybe with a little seasoning the change will retain the good features but he can get that hits/9 back down to his career norm.

Still don't like it. After watching a decade-plus of truly craptacular bullpens, I want as many dependable guys out there as I can get. Ayala certainly wasn't perfect and had his flaws, but he did a darn good job in some big spots. One hung slider to Shelley Duncan doesn't change that.

True, but you can make a case for anyone. Hunter has shown me nothing, but a VERY occasional flash on the radar gun, and a hell of a lot of long balls. Ayala was a 2 seamer/double play inducing machine. Id have just rather gone year to year on him, than hope more guys step up...i feel like we pushed beyond that wait and see stage last year.

Last year Ayala only induced 6 double plays in 63 opportunities (9.5%). On top of it he allowed 44% of his inherited runners to score. Just for comparison, Hunter actually got the most double plays last year with 21 in 118 opportunities (17.8%). BTW, league average is 12%.

Last year Ayala only induced 6 double plays in 63 opportunities (9.5%). On top of it he allowed 44% of his inherited runners to score. Just for comparison, Hunter actually got the most double plays last year with 21 in 118 opportunities (17.8%). BTW, league average is 12%.

Come on, Tony. Don't let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant!;)

Archived