Arrieta and Tillman are almost unbearable to watch when they're not on their games

Frobby

This is not just an observation about 2013.

When these guys are having a good day, they're pretty fun to watch. But when they're not, it's painful. High pitch counts, getting behind hitters, being unable to finish off hitters with two strikes. So often, you just know by the end of the 1st or 2nd inning that they'll never make it to 6 IP. It's like deja vu all over again.

Hammel, Chen and Gonzo all have off days, but somehow, it's far less painful.

I really find myself wanting to see what Matusz would do as a starter, even though he had his own poor outings as a starter that were frustrating to watch. I just feel he's learned something since last August and seems much more willing to pound the strike zone than either Tillman or Arrieta.

Hopefully we see better from Jake and Chris next time out, but I'm really losing patience.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No to Matusz. Leave him in the pen. A little more agony is needed to be felt. I don't think Tillman is as bad as Arrieta. He can actually hit Wieter's target some of the time and he doesn't seem to be a bundle of nerves on the mound either. I'd give Arrieta 2-3 more starts and then look to 1) Britton 2) Johnson if he's ready 3) McFarland. I don't think Jurrjens is going to come around in AAA and I don't think Garcia is the answer either. I think Tillman gets more time to get it together than Arrieta, but we can't afford to too long with both at their current rate.

Agree with just about all of this. Still feel much better about Tillman than Arrieta. I think Tillman is close. Needs some more time to iron things out.

Really hard for me to believe he's still just 24. Crazy.

Jake - just have no faith in him. Great guy, but even when he doesn't give up runs his command is all over the place.

I'd see what the best offers we can get for both and send them packing at this point. Every year its the same thing, they aren't ever going to "get it".

No, it is not the same thing every year.

I really don't understand how people have forgotten how good Chris Tillman was last year already.

No, it is not the same thing every year.

I really don't understand how people have forgotten how good Chris Tillman was last year already.

You have a point there, I'm talking more about Arietta than Tillman. Tilly is still relatively young, I think 24? While Arietta is 27-28 I believe. As you pointed out though, Tillman did have a pretty solid second half the season last year, I just hope it doesn't take him all year to find that.

You have a point there, I'm talking more about Arietta than Tillman. Tilly is still relatively young, I think 24? While Arietta is 27-28 I believe. As you pointed out though, Tillman did have a pretty solid second half the season last year, I just hope it doesn't take him all year to find that.

Sure, I definitely agree on Arrieta.

Just frustrates me to see people lump the two together. Tillman has shown an ability to be consistently successful at this level, at least over a considerable portion of a season.

Which obviously does not mean everything is going to be smooth for him from now on, but he's shown more than Jake has, so far.

I never wanna see Jake pitch again. Tillman is getting close.

Wat? Ok, so he walked a lot of batters and couldn't finish the 6th inning. He also only allowed one run, kept us in the game and pitched out of multiple jams. Are we that jaded after one year of success that we want to boot people out of the rotation after a so-so (early) month of april?

Both pitchers take too long between pitches. If you've got a Baltimore Sun nearby you can read the front page between pitches when Arietta is on the mound. I've always wondered if he wears contacts. He seems to just keep staring in at Wieters like he can't see which pitch he's calling. I'll have to look a little closer the next time I'm at OP to see if there's a good looking woman behind home plate. If you listen to him talk in his interviews he even talks slow. Maybe he needs some coffee or Red Bull.

No to Matusz. Leave him in the pen. A little more agony is needed to be felt. I don't think Tillman is as bad as Arrieta. He can actually hit Wieter's target some of the time and he doesn't seem to be a bundle of nerves on the mound either. I'd give Arrieta 2-3 more starts and then look to 1) Britton 2) Johnson if he's ready 3) McFarland. I don't think Jurrjens is going to come around in AAA and I don't think Garcia is the answer either. I think Tillman gets more time to get it together than Arrieta, but we can't afford to too long with both at their current rate.

I only disagree with you in respect to Tillman looking nervous on the mound. I absolutely think he does and I think it's his greatest problem. Like Jake he can be pretty fragile upstairs. Too much overthrowing from both of them which screams immaturity.

Agree with just about all of this. Still feel much better about Tillman than Arrieta. I think Tillman is close. Needs some more time to iron things out.

Really hard for me to believe he's still just 24. Crazy.

Tillman turned 25 on Monday. He's been in the majors on and off since 2009. His good half-season last year, and the fact that he is out of options, buys him a little time. But I'm pretty tired of the "he's still young" argument. He's been around long enough where he really ought to be more consistent by now. His stuff is plenty good, but it's results that matter.

Tillman turned 25 on Monday. He's been in the majors on and off since 2009. His good half-season last year, and the fact that he is out of options, buys him a little time. But I'm pretty tired of the "he's still young" argument. He's been around long enough where he really ought to be more consistent by now. His stuff is plenty good, but it's results that matter.

I was not making the "he's still young" statement in an effort to convince others to be more patient with him. I was just saying that it seems like he's been around forever yet he's close to the same age as some of the top college guys who are just getting started.

BAVG Against:

Arrieta - .241

Tillman - .333

WHIP:

Arrieta - 1.60

Tillma - 1.93

ERA:

Arrieta - 5.40

Tillman - 7.07

HR allowed:

Arrieta - 1

Tillman - 3

Pitches per PA

Arrieta - 4.09

Tillman - 4.28

Strike pct -

A - 59%

T - 58%

Neither have been very good, and both have had instances where their defense has let them down, but the "hate" for Arrieta around here and the love for Tillman must be based off last year than this year because clearly Arrieta has been the better pitcher. Tillman has been wild and also very hittable, while Arrieta has been wild, but tough to hit. Both have the stuff to dominate if things go right, but both can be maddening in their inconsistency, sometimes from batter to batter.

Arrieta still has an option while Tillman doesn't, so Arrieta probably will be the one to go first if they both keep struggling. Either way, the Orioles can't afford two five inning pitchers in the rotation, especially with them going back to back. They will burn out the bullpen in no time.

It seems to me that the biggest issue with these guys is something Palmer talks about all the time. Repeatable mechanics.

They seem to easily lose the ability to stay consistent with their deliveries. I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, and I don't think either guy is dumb, but I think the axiom "you can't fix stupid", applies here. Again, I'm not saying either of these guys are stupid...but I just don't think they have the pitching "smarts" to be consistent performers.

Archived