Dr. James Andrews today. Andrews recommended and administered a PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection

BaltimoreO's

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or we could play Upton in right and DH Markakis and then we'd have a better defense AND a completely unstoppable offense.

Bundy might not be in the majors for another 2 years or more.

If he is like every other high school pitcher drafted by the Orioles in the last 30 years... he will never be in the majors

But yep he's off the table for any trade.

What a depressing thread.. it would be nice to have a promising young pitcher live up to his abilites for us. I still think Gausman and Bundy are going to be good pitchers someday, hopefully for us.

If he is like every other high school pitcher drafted by the Orioles in the last 30 years... he will never be in the majors

But yep he's off the table for any trade.

I could have sworn Britton was in the majors before......but I guess not.

I love how all our players are getting PRP treatment but there is no scientific evidence behind it working. Why not just use leeches or whatever other non-proven therapy they can find?

Thank you, Doctor Atomic, for pointing out that Dr. James Andrews is some quack.

Meanwhile, here's an article indicating that PRP treatment has been effective for tennis elbow. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130321081459.htm

I think it is fair to say that PRP isn't fully proven, but "no scientific evidence" isn't really correct, either. So long as it won't hurt, why not try it?

I love how all our players are getting PRP treatment but there is no scientific evidence behind it working. Why not just use leeches or whatever other non-proven therapy they can find?

Wait, why do you think there isn't any scientific evidence behind it working?

It can't hurt - there is some science behind it as blood plasma does heal injuries. It hasn't been used enough for there to be definitive evidence, but these are professional doctors after all. There's sound science behind the therapy. But continue to sound like an ignorant blowhard, by all means.

Didn't you two already do this last month?

Not really sure what you can hope to accomplish by not following the advice the top doctor in his field (as well as another top doc not finding any structural damagae). What would you rather Bundy do?

Having the injections done combined with arm rest is nearly risk free. And a simple internet search will bring up many successful treatments.

Here's another... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/dodgers/2013/03/14/dodgers-platelet-rich-plasma-zack-greinke-chad-billingsley/1988757/

The thing about Bundy is that we can't be disappointed because now he won't be in the majors this year. This is still a young kid. If it takes him until next year to be healed then so be it. I just want them to heal it.

Wait, why do you think there isn't any scientific evidence behind it working?

Because I did research on this after Bundy got his treatment and there isn't any evidence. There was one study on tennis elbow but everyone in the study got the treatment. There is no scientific double blind study to show it is effective at all. So you have people getting better after time. Ok rest might be the real cure or people get better when they think they are receiving treatment.

It can't hurt - there is some science behind it as blood plasma does heal injuries. It hasn't been used enough for there to be definitive evidence, but these are professional doctors after all. There's sound science behind the therapy. But continue to sound like an ignorant blowhard, by all means.

I am ignorant because I actually spent the time to research the therapy? Doctors have done all sorts of treatments through time that not only have not been beneficial but have actually done harm. If this is a really effective they wouldn't have any trouble doing research on it and providing some sort of evidence of its effectiveness othen than anecdotal. I am guessing you don't have a degree in science field.

Archived