What's that you say? Another article on Pitch Framing? Don't mind if I do.

Can_of_corn

This one at least has heat maps to insure it is colorful.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/on-framing-and-pitching-in-the-zone/

This line alone made it worth reading:

And it's interesting that, as much as people come up with run values in the dozens, it's hard to identify the actual effect. For example, Rays pitchers this year have allowed a higher OPS throwing to Molina than when throwing to Jose Lobaton, the other guy. Last year, Molina again had the worst numbers. It reminds me too much of Catcher ERA for my tastes, but you?d think you'd see something.

Yep which is why I laugh at findings that Molina saved 50 runs last season.

Try this one. It's based on PITCH f/x, includes video clips, and makes less exaggerated claims. The Art of Pitch Framing

Although the changes in camera angle and batter position make it difficult to tell, these pitches are even closer together, according to PITCHf/x: 1.26 feet and 1.29 feet from the center of the strike zone, respectively. Both are four-seamers on 0-1 counts called by umpire Mike Winters. Again, we see the call go one way for Molina and the other for Doumit. And again, it's not tough to tell why. Doumit's whole body leans toward the outside of the plate, while Molina's stays almost perfectly still.

.... In a September 2011 article titled "Spinning Yarn: Removing the Mask," Mike Fast, then an analyst for Baseball Prospectus (and now an analyst for the Houston Astros), attempted to determine what catcher receiving was worth. By studying where strikes are typically called and establishing which pitchers were getting more or fewer strikes than they "should" have, given where their pitches crossed the plate, Fast was able to isolate the effect of the catcher. He concluded that pitch framing can make a major impact, and it also is more consistent from year to year than even reliable offensive metrics like on-base percentage or slugging percentage. In other words, it's not insignificant, and it's not just noise. It's a valuable skill that persists from season to season.

Fast found that [Jose] Molina, the best receiver, was worth 35 runs above average per 120 games, and Doumit, the worst, was worth 26 runs below average.

.... Granted, those run totals aren't typical. Molina and Doumit are outliers; no one else comes close to costing his team as much per pitch as Doumit, and only Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy has approached Molina levels of framing effectiveness.

.... Jose's younger brother Yadier and retired older brother Bengie share(d) his receiving skill to a lesser degree, and all three inspire awe from their peers at the position. "I think the three Molinas, they come from another planet," says Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli. "I've never seen anything like that in my life."

Archived