Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

I heard this interview this morning.

My thoughts....Why would the ushers allow this to keep going on for SEVEN innings? So "walrus-stache" behind home plate gets his panties in a bunch when a fan wants to sit behind home plate, but two obviously drunken idiots are permitted to verbally assault another fan, curse repeatedly, and throw things at the fan through 7 innings????

Let me make this clear...this was NOT the usher's fault. BUT, he could have assured it didn't occur if he had simply done his job!

Seriously my thoughts as well, you can't blame the Usher but remember there was a thread after OD that an usher removed a fan for possibly yelling a gay slur.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The game and the colors and even the alcohol, are just an excuse for much deeper non sports related issues. The vast majority of sports fans are able to tolerate opposing fans colors etc., and go to a stadium to enjoy a game without feeling the need to engage in a brawl. A person should be able to wear any gear he wants to a ball game with out fear of repercussions.

Repped for truth.

I want to ask you guys this question, because I keep hearing this over and over. I'm an Orioles fan, but I'm also a baseball fan. A few years ago I went to an Astros home game vs Philly (my friend lives in Houston, so we went for the fun of it.) As an O's fan, I wore my Orioles hat. I've also been to Comerica to see the Tigers vs the A's. Wore an Orioles polo to that one. Why is it such a d-bag move to wear your favorite teams colors to a ballgame if you're just in town and want to check out the local team? Is it ONLY because it's a Yankee hat, or are you guys saying it's ALWAYS wrong?

I just don't have a problem with it myself.

I'm completely fine with people wearing the hat or jersey of the team we're playing against, but to wear a Yankees hat at an Orioles game when they aren't playing the Yankees is just a big "F you" to everyone. The same as wearing a Steelers jersey to a Ravens game when they are playing another team (I've seen it). Why bring on confrontation for no reason?

I guess it's mainly a Yankees or Red Sox with me because their are so many front running local fans that use to take over Camden Yards with their obnoxious chants. I guess if I guy was wearing a Padres hat I wouldn't care, but Red Sox and Yankees fans have a special place in my heart for the crap they've done at Camden Yards over the years.

Now saying that, there is never a reason to throw stuff at people and certainly never a reason to become physical over a ball game. I hate obnoxious fans of any kind. I've been around some Orioles fans that I wasn't proud of either. There's a huge difference between having a little fun and actually getting to the point that you feel you need to throw beer or physically assault someone. That's ridiculous.

Yankees fans know how we feel about them so wearing that to our stadium when they are not playing them is bringing on confrontation. That doesn't mean the guy deserved what happened to him and his girlfriend, but it does mean had he chosen to wear something else, this entire incident never would have occurred. Again, that doesn't mean the idiots who assaulted aren't at fault, it just means that there's no reason to draw attention to yourself when you don't need to.

Thanks for posting that, Mayor. I think the O's have to make their policies very clear and enforce them. And maybe it's gotta be - that you get tossed for any profane heckling - no warnings, no excuses. 1 situation getting that far out of hand is 1 too many - if you're promoting going to a game as a family experience. It'd be a drastic change, but I think it's for everyone's benefit.

I want to ask you guys this question, because I keep hearing this over and over. I'm an Orioles fan, but I'm also a baseball fan. A few years ago I went to an Astros home game vs Philly (my friend lives in Houston, so we went for the fun of it.) As an O's fan, I wore my Orioles hat. I've also been to Comerica to see the Tigers vs the A's. Wore an Orioles polo to that one. Why is it such a d-bag move to wear your favorite teams colors to a ballgame if you're just in town and want to check out the local team? Is it ONLY because it's a Yankee hat, or are you guys saying it's ALWAYS wrong?

I just don't have a problem with it myself.

I try to go to alot of games in alot of MLB towns. I think I have been to 20. I wear my Oriole hat and never had a problem. Alot of towns they ask where you are from and say thinks for coming to our town. I have seen alot of Oriole fans act like aholes. Not sure why people get so upset by someone wearing a hat. Also,I have never seen a vendor cut off a guy after he or she has had way too much. Wednesday,Nat's-O's game a guy had to be helped out of the stands after the game. A bar would get sued if you served someone so over the limit.I know it is all about the profit but some people need to get cut off. Fenway does not sell beer in the stands.

I'm completely fine with people wearing the hat or jersey of the team we're playing against, but to wear a Yankees hat at an Orioles game when they aren't playing the Yankees is just a big "F you" to everyone. The same as wearing a Steelers jersey to a Ravens game when they are playing another team (I've seen it). Why bring on confrontation for no reason?

I guess it's mainly a Yankees or Red Sox with me because their are so many front running local fans that use to take over Camden Yards with their obnoxious chants. I guess if I guy was wearing a Padres hat I wouldn't care, but Red Sox and Yankees fans have a special place in my heart for the crap they've done at Camden Yards over the years.

Now saying that, there is never a reason to throw stuff at people and certainly never a reason to become physical over a ball game. I hate obnoxious fans of any kind. I've been around some Orioles fans that I wasn't proud of either. There's a huge difference between having a little fun and actually getting to the point that you feel you need to throw beer or physically assault someone. That's ridiculous.

Yankees fans know how we feel about them so wearing that to our stadium when they are not playing them is bringing on confrontation. That doesn't mean the guy deserved what happened to him and his girlfriend, but it does mean had he chosen to wear something else, this entire incident never would have occurred. Again, that doesn't mean the idiots who assaulted aren't at fault, it just means that there's no reason to draw attention to yourself when you don't need to.

Hope I'm not derailing the thread, but this is interesting to me.

Say you're in New York City visiting and you have your O's hat on. The tourism thing. And say somehow or another you come across tix for the Yankees vs Red Sox game. You wouldn't wear your O's hat to the game? Would you wear ANY hat? That's my thing. For me (and this is just my opinion) but when I go to a game, I wear a hat. Its baseball for God's sake. And if I'm gonna wear a hat, well, its gonna be a Birds hat. Not trying to be a d-bag or incite anything, just being a fan. Your thoughts?

I think it's important to emphasize in your last paragraph - this doesn't excuse what the attackers did even in the slightest - not just to say that this doesn't mean the guy didn't deserve what happened to him.

I try to go to alot of games in alot of MLB towns. I think I have been to 20. I wear my Oriole hat and never had a problem. Alot of towns they ask where you are from and say thinks for coming to our town. I have seen alot of Oriole fans act like aholes. Not sure why people get so upset by someone wearing a hat. Also,I have never seen a vendor cut off a guy after he or she has had way too much. Wednesday,Nat's-O's game a guy had to be helped out of the stands after the game. A bar would get sued if you served someone so over the limit.I know it is all about the profit but some people need to get cut off. Fenway does not sell beer in the stands.

Let me tell ya, if I could change ONE thing about stadiums, it would be no vendors of ANY kind in the stands. 9 times out of 10 all they do is block your view, and to your point, the beer vendors are just helping the drunks out. I'm sure the people who want to drink can get up and go get a beer when they take one of their 30 leaks during the game!

Say you're in New York City visiting and you have your O's hat on. The tourism thing. And say somehow or another you come across tix for the Yankees vs Red Sox game. You wouldn't wear your O's hat to the game? Would you wear ANY hat? That's my thing. For me (and this is just my opinion) but when I go to a game, I wear a hat. Its baseball for God's sake. And if I'm gonna wear a hat, well, its gonna be a Birds hat. Not trying to be a d-bag or incite anything, just being a fan. Your thoughts?

No, I would not. First off, I'm not a big wear my O's hat everywhere I go kind of guy. I wear a lot of Orioles related shirts and stuff, but no, I'm not going to wear Orioles gear to a Yankees-Red Sox game in Yankees stadium. Why would I want to possibly bring on a confrontation? Who knows what some drunken idiot will decide to say or do. I would have no problem wearing my gear if the Orioles were playing them because I have a right to get a ticket and cheer on my team in a respectful manner. I'm not going to stand up and start yelling "Let's go Orioles" if we go ahead nor am I going to stand there and point to my jersey or something if we win. I will stand and applaud when we score or do something well, just like I would at home.

I've been to other stadiums when the Orioles weren't playing I never wore O's stuff. I usually made myself a fan of the local team for the day and enjoyed the ball park and game. I see no reason to have to wear my gear in someone else's stadium, especially not at a rivals stadium.

I see Yankees gear and red Sox gear in the stands all the time during non related games at Camden yards. There's definitely a lot of people who like to watch the other teams in the division, even if theirs is not playing.

I have no problem with them. They paid their money, they can wear whatever they want, even if I dislike the atmosphere when their fans dominate.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's important to emphasize in your last paragraph - this doesn't excuse what the attackers did even in the slightest - not just to say that this doesn't mean the guy didn't deserve what happened to him.

Absolutely. Whether someone thinks the guy is being D-bag or not, it never excuses violence of any kind. It's a damn game. We are all supposed to have fun.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. I interpret the bolded part as saying he brought it upon himself and should have known better. Any fan should be able to wear whatever he/she wants to any stadium without fear of profanity laced verbal assault or a physical confrontation. Maybe a sign should be posted in Camden Yards" Attention Yankees Fans - Wear Yankees Garb At Your Own Risk"

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. I interpret the bolded part as saying he brought it upon himself and should have known better. Any fan should be able to wear whatever he/she wants to any stadium without fear of profanity laced verbal assault or a physical confrontation. Maybe a sign should be posted in Camden Yards" Attention Yankees Fans - Wear Yankees Garb At Your Own Risk"

You're missing the point.

Ya ever see that scene in Die Hard 3 where Bruce Willis has to wear that sign in Harlem? Obviously it's not against the law to do so, but doing that certainly put him in harm's way. All Tony is saying is if the dude didn't have a Yankee hat on, the drunken idiots would not have bothered him. (That said, they would have found someone else to spew their hate at, because as others have said, there is obviously a deeper issue with those idiots.)

You missed my point. Even though I don't like when people where Yankees and Red Sox gear to a non game event, that does not mean I think they should be assaulted in any manner. However, by him choosing to wear that hat, he took the chance that there would be drunken idiots near by who would start a confrontation. My point is, why bring on the possible confrontation?

It's like walking down a street and seeing a group of youths hanging at a corner at night. Now, I have every right to walk down the street and they have no right to assault me, but if I can walk to the other side of the street or take a different route, then that's the best route because it will avoid confrontation.

I could have a Yankee-hat wearing fan in front of me all game and I'm not going to say a word. I'm not about confrontation over a game. However, that doesn't mean the six drunk 20-somethings behind me won't though. doesn't make it right, just means it makes sense not to do things that could cause confrontation when you don't have to.

I make it a point NOT to. I really hate when I see people wearing stuff from one team that has nothing to do with those playing. It SEEMS like someone looking for attention, but my issue is that it seems disrespectful to the teams playing. I realize no one will agree with me on this, and that's ok, but it really bothers me. You are a guest in someone else's house kinda thing.

The biggest issue that other people will have is why. Why are you wearing it? Just because its baseball and you HAVE to let people know where you stand? They don't care. If you aren't supporting a team that's playing, don't say (with your hat) anything.

I know you won't agree Dip, because we frankly never agree on anything. I wouldn't ever say anything to someone wearing an A's hat during an O's/Yanks game, for example, but I'm secretly hating AND judging them inside.

Just an add on, I wear my O's hat around NYC all the time. Its just at the game that bothers me.

Archived