Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

You make some good points. However, I bet that the thrown beer is what brought on the second degree assault charges against these two clowns. One might argue that he was defending himself by confronting these two guys after the beer was thrown on him and his date. I'm sure that he was expecting a fight, and fortunately it did not cost him his life.

Maybe I'm just a coward, and to be fair, I have NO idea how close these groups were to each other, but if its me, and I'm being verbally assaulted for 7 innings, and then I get a beer thrown at me, I'm going the other way. I'm not walking over to their seats at all, much less climbing a railing and getting in their faces. You cannot reason with a drunk. Ever. This had disaster written all over it.

But again, many men would think they are defending their girl or whatever. I'm just not into fighting, especially when I know I can't win.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I'm just a coward, and to be fair, I have NO idea how close these groups were to each other, but if its me, and I'm being verbally assaulted for 7 innings, and then I get a beer thrown at me, I'm going the other way. I'm not walking over to their seats at all, much less climbing a railing and getting in their faces. You cannot reason with a drunk. Ever. This had disaster written all over it.

But again, many men would think they are defending their girl or whatever. I'm just not into fighting, especially when I know I can't win.

I'm sure that you are not a coward. I think it takes more guts to walk

Away from a fight than to get hurt, hurt someone else and/or get

Arrested. I think this young man was in classic "fight or flight" mode

And his reaction was to fight after the beer was thrown on him and his

Date.

Where in the stadium did this happen? I'm trying to visualize it.

Section 87. I heard that the ushers came by and told the two guys to calm down. I think they did for awhile till it got escalted in the later innings again. Heard date was called a bad name and why are you with a Yankee fan and not someone from here.

The guy has also taken a turn for the worse. I was wondering if this happened in Yankee Stadium between the O's and the Yankees and a Boston fan was attacked would people be saying he should not have on a Boston hat? Would people have said look at those damn Yankee fans. Do people see it differently because it happened in Baltimore?

Still no statement from the Orioles?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-orioles-assault-victim-worse-20130603,0,6552158.story

Section 87. I heard that the ushers came by and told the two guys to calm down. I think they did for awhile till it got escalted in the later innings again. Heard date was called a bad name and why are you with a Yankee fan and not someone from here.

The guy has also taken a turn for the worse. I was wondering if this happened in Yankee Stadium between the O's and the Yankees and a Boston fan was attacked would people be saying he should not have on a Boston hat? Would people have said look at those damn Yankee fans. Do people see it differently because it happened in Baltimore?

Still no statement from the Orioles?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-orioles-assault-victim-worse-20130603,0,6552158.story

Not sure what you're getting at? I think one thing that EVERYONE agrees on is the two drunken Orioles fans were in the wrong here and need to be locked away for a long, long time!

From what I gather, the incident took place between the LF upper and lower box sections (ie section 84). The victim was sitting along the very top row of the lower section, while the jerks were in the first row of upper, so the concrete walkway was all that separated them. Someone else who was there called into the Fan this morning and said the heckling began almost immediately and escalated all game. They were insulting his date too, as she was wearing a Nats shirt. He said an usher had warned the group about using profanity, but it didn't stop and he thinks they should have been ejected in hindsight. It never should have gotten to the point of a beer toss and a consequent confrontation.

I truly hope O's fans that were seated near these knuckleheads told tell them to knock it off and/or alerted a higher authority, especially if there were kids in the vicinity. I know I would. Cal's game last year, I had a drunken family (yes, family) that were verbally harassing some dude in a Cano jersey who was just trying to enjoy the game. He was with his girlfriend and they were minding their own business, not bothering anyone. I loathe the Yanks as much as anyone, but I felt kind of bad for the guy. He was really getting it. At one point, one of them started to put his hands on the guy, messing with his hat, and I called them all out. Enough already. They mouthbreathed something about "taking back the Yard," but they ultimately backed off. I don't mind a good heckle or two, but you're crossing the line with excessive profanity and/or physical contact IMO. No one should tolerate that kind of behavior at a baseball game. Perhaps the Orioles need to implement a texting service like the Ravens, where you can report unruly fans. In the end, these kind of incidents happen with a lot of passionate fan bases and fortunately they're pretty rare. It's just when you mix irrational anger with alcohol, you'll get some Baltimore fans that turn nasty when they see a NY, Boston or Steelers emblem.

Not exactly sure but i've read things that it was near walkway around lower deck. Would make sense with the climbing wall/railing since there is one in front of the covered terrace boxes.

Let's just hope this dude pulls through. Apparently took a turn for the worse in past day or so.

Not exactly sure but i've read things that it was near walkway around lower deck. Would make sense with the climbing wall/railing since there is one in front of the covered terrace boxes.

Let's just hope this dude pulls through. Apparently took a turn for the worse in past day or so.

Yeah, this is the only part of the story that I'm concerned with right now.

I hate the Yankees, but I also hate calling them our rival when we aren't theirs. Hopefully the Rays and Os can battle it out atop the standings for the next decade or two and we can establish a new true rivalry.

This is true. I check out a Yankees board on occasion (NYYFans.com) which is probably one of the oldest, biggest and most popular. They have a section called "Around the Majors" where posters discuss other teams. There are threads dedicated to the Red Sox and the Mets. An Orioles thread hasn't been posted to since the end of last season. So while Orioles fans consider the Yankees their arch enemy and rival, Yankees fans don't seem to care that much about the Orioles. At least not to the point of discussing the team in a forum atmosphere.

From what I gather, the incident took place between the LF upper and lower box sections (ie section 84). The victim was sitting along the very top row of the lower section, while the jerks were in the first row of upper, so the concrete walkway was all that separated them. Someone else who was there called into the Fan this morning and said the heckling began almost immediately and escalated all game. They were insulting his date too, as she was wearing a Nats shirt. He said an usher had warned the group about using profanity, but it didn't stop and he thinks they should have been ejected in hindsight. It never should have gotten to the point of a beer toss and a consequent confrontation.

I truly hope O's fans that were seated near these knuckleheads told tell them to knock it off and/or alerted a higher authority, especially if there were kids in the vicinity. I know I would. Cal's game last year, I had a drunken family (yes, family) that were verbally harassing some dude in a Cano jersey who was just trying to enjoy the game. He was with his girlfriend and they were minding their own business, not bothering anyone. I loathe the Yanks as much as anyone, but I felt kind of bad for the guy. He was really getting it. At one point, one of them started to put his hands on the guy, messing with his hat, and I called them all out. Enough already. They mouthbreathed something about "taking back the Yard," but they ultimately backed off. I don't mind a good heckle or two, but you're crossing the line with excessive profanity and/or physical contact IMO. No one should tolerate that kind of behavior at a baseball game. Perhaps the Orioles need to implement a texting service like the Ravens, where you can report unruly fans. In the end, these kind of incidents happen with a lot of passionate fan bases and fortunately they're pretty rare. It's just when you mix irrational anger with alcohol, you'll get some Baltimore fans that turn nasty when they see a NY, Boston or Steelers emblem.

Just to clarify, the Orioles DO have this text service. They show it on the screen during the game, but perhaps it should be printed on the back of the ticket or something. I know I sure as hell won't remember the number if I ever need it.

Just to clarify, the Orioles DO have this text service. They show it on the screen during the game, but perhaps it should be printed on the back of the ticket or something. I know I sure as hell won't remember the number if I ever need it.
Good to know. I can't say I've ever noticed it, so I agree the service should be displayed more prominently.

I really hope this guy recovers, it's terrible to hear he has taken a turn for the worst. I also hope these two men are charged appropriately.

Through MD Court Case search it looks like they are being charged with Assault, first and second degree along with Disorderly Conduct. I would post the link, however I am not sure if that is allowed.

For anyone who wants the info, I found this on the Orioles OPACY A-to-Z webpage:

Security Procedures - In park

While enjoying an Oriole game at Camden Yards, if you see a problem or need assistance, you can easily and discretely contact Oriole Park Security or an Event Staff Supervisor by texting the word "Orioles", then a space, followed by your issue and seat location to 69050. Standard SMS rates apply.

Archived