Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the O's should release a statement saying our thoughts and prayers are with the family and Camden Yards is a family place. No comment seems kind of callous. It did happen inside the stadium and not outside. I heard they are waiting for the police to finish whatever they have to do but something would be nice.

Maybe because the victim has or had a fractured skull and because the idiots

that did it were arrested. Is that clear enough for you to see why some on this

board are saying what they have said? Even if the victim started the altercation

there is never reason to hit someone in the head with a beer bottle. Good thing

that man didnt die. But he could have. When these thugs get out of jail and I

hope it is many years from now they had better learn to control their anger or

whatever their problems are. The next time they decide to do something stupid

it could be very tragic for someone.

I don't disagree with any of this, but lets make one thing clear. In many situations, just because the "victim" ends up as such does not make him innocent. I'm not talking directly about this incident, I'm just saying in general. I'm sure there are just as many cases of the "victim" starting the fight as the other way around.

Yeah that is easy to say but when you are on a second date and your date gets hit in the head with beer most likely your adrenaline is going to take over. I would have a hard time holding back if that happened to me.

I agree. Once stuff starts getting thrown and it hits the girlfriend/wife, most guys are not going to take that. I try to think what would I have done and probably the only thing different is I would not have climbed up but rather challenged the D-bags from the walk way.

Regardless of what hat he was wearing, and yes, it is a D-bag move to wear a Yankees hat to an Orioles-Nationals game, no one needs to have stuff thrown at them during a game and they certainly should never be assaulted.

I agree. Once stuff starts getting thrown and it hits the girlfriend/wife, most guys are not going to take that. I try to think what would I have done and probably the only thing different is I would not have climbed up but rather challenged the D-bags from the walk way.

Regardless of what hat he was wearing, and yes, it is a D-bag move to wear a Yankees hat to an Orioles-Nationals game, no one needs to have stuff thrown at them during a game and they certainly should never be assaulted.

I want to ask you guys this question, because I keep hearing this over and over. I'm an Orioles fan, but I'm also a baseball fan. A few years ago I went to an Astros home game vs Philly (my friend lives in Houston, so we went for the fun of it.) As an O's fan, I wore my Orioles hat. I've also been to Comerica to see the Tigers vs the A's. Wore an Orioles polo to that one. Why is it such a d-bag move to wear your favorite teams colors to a ballgame if you're just in town and want to check out the local team? Is it ONLY because it's a Yankee hat, or are you guys saying it's ALWAYS wrong?

I just don't have a problem with it myself.

I want to ask you guys this question, because I keep hearing this over and over. I'm an Orioles fan, but I'm also a baseball fan. A few years ago I went to an Astros home game vs Philly (my friend lives in Houston, so we went for the fun of it.) As an O's fan, I wore my Orioles hat. I've also been to Comerica to see the Tigers vs the A's. Wore an Orioles polo to that one. Why is it such a d-bag move to wear your favorite teams colors to a ballgame if you're just in town and want to check out the local team? Is it ONLY because it's a Yankee hat, or are you guys saying it's ALWAYS wrong?

I don't see it necessarily as a "D-Bag" move, I just think it will entice people to start arguments which could lead to fights. To help ensure this doesn't happen, it might be better not to wear a teams colors/attire to a game in which they are not playing. However, I wouldn't consider it "D-Bag".

I'm not the one who made the statement, but I would think it has more to do w/ a rivalry situation than anything. An Os hat at an Astros game doesn't mean a whole lot - anymore than a Rockies hat would mean at an Os game, for instance. A Yankee hat at an O's game is a different animal.

None of which condones any of this behavior of course; I'm just giving my thoughts on your specific question.

I don't see it necessarily as a "D-Bag" move, I just think it will entice people to start arguments which could lead to fights. To help ensure this doesn't happen, it might be better not to wear a teams colors/attire to a game in which they are not playing. However, I wouldn't consider it "D-Bag".

In Detroit, the usher stopped me and asked if I was in the wrong city? I replied something like "I am Orioles fan, but I'm in town for business and will be rooting for the Tigers today." He laughed, said at least I have the colors right, and then took my picture with the field behind me. Good dude.

In Houston, the guy next to me wanted to start a fight with me because I had an Orioles hat on. Bad dude.

My point, and the point a lot of people are making...its not the stadium or the city, there are idiots fans everywhere you go.

In Detroit, the usher stopped me and asked if I was in the wrong city? I replied something like "I am Orioles fan, but I'm in town for business and will be rooting for the Tigers today." He laughed, said at least I have the colors right, and then took my picture with the field behind me. Good dude.

In Houston, the guy next to me wanted to start a fight with me because I had an Orioles hat on. Bad dude.

My point, and the point a lot of people are making...its not the stadium or the city, there are idiots fans everywhere you go.

Yup. Pretty stupid to start fighting, no matter what the hat or even, in this case, if the Yankees WERE here.

As I said earlier, nothing wrong with razzing your opponent's fans when they are around, as long as it's friendly. Once it gets beyond that, you've crossed a line.

This may have already been said:

I heard an interview on 105.7 this morning around 8AM and a fan who was sitting right next to the kid that got assaulted stated that:

He was on a double date.

The heckling started early before the second inning.

The heckling started because of the yankee hat but then quickly turned to vulgar profane filled statements about him and his date.

At some point the ushers did come over to the hecklers and tell them to stop the profane lang.

It didnt stop, and then the beer was thrown during the comback when it got loud and a play that everyone stood up for.

Once the beer hit him, he lost it and jumped out his seat and climbed up the concourse wall and was holding on the hand rail and said "I am here now, say it to my face" directly to the heckler.

The hecklers friend sucker punched him causing him to lose his grip and fall hitting his head on the concrete.

:angryfire:

The game and the colors and even the alcohol, are just an excuse for much deeper non sports related issues. The vast majority of sports fans are able to tolerate opposing fans colors etc., and go to a stadium to enjoy a game without feeling the need to engage in a brawl. A person should be able to wear any gear he wants to a ball game with out fear of repercussions.

This may have already been said:

I heard an interview on 105.7 this morning around 8AM and a fan who was sitting right next to the kid that got assaulted stated that:

:angryfire:

I heard this interview this morning.

My thoughts....Why would the ushers allow this to keep going on for SEVEN innings? So "walrus-stache" behind home plate gets his panties in a bunch when a fan wants to sit behind home plate, but two obviously drunken idiots are permitted to verbally assault another fan, curse repeatedly, and throw things at the fan through 7 innings????

Let me make this clear...this was NOT the usher's fault. BUT, he could have assured it didn't occur if he had simply done his job!

Archived