Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

Funny because I have had Yankees fans do that to me AT Camden.

The bottom line is this is not any sort of representation of Orioles fans nor the atmosphere at Camden. I could find dozens of anecdotal stories like yours and apply them to every stadium, of every team, in virtually every sport.

Exactly. I find it hard to believe he has never experienced any of those things at Yankee Stadium. I go up there with my father every summer. It happens at every game we've ever attended. I once counted no less than 7 fights in the stands during 1 game. He must be going on the other days.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. I find it hard to believe he has never experienced any of those things at Yankee Stadium. I go up there with my father every summer. It happens at every game we've ever attended. I once counted no less than 7 fights in the stands during 1 game. He must be going on the other days.

I go to Yankee Stadium in my O's gear several times a year. I always get some smack talked to me, but I laugh it off, I don't bother even responding, I cheer my O's and if someone wants to rib me, oh well. When I was in my 20's, I was full of piss and vinegar, now in my 40's, I mind my own business until I'm forced to not mind my own business, which is rare.

I go to Yankee Stadium in my O's gear several times a year. I always get some smack talked to me, but I laugh it off, I don't bother even responding, I cheer my O's and if someone wants to rib me, oh well. When I was in my 20's, I was full of piss and vinegar, now in my 40's, I mind my own business until I'm forced to not mind my own business, which is rare.

I wear my O's gear in New York. My experience has been like yours. I don't expect home cookin' when I waltz into the enemy's kitchen wearing the wrong color.

I wear my O's gear in New York. My experience has been like yours. I don't expect home cookin' when I waltz into the enemy's kitchen wearing the wrong color.

Yeah, I also don't expect more than just some words tossed at me, either. ;) Talk all the smack you want. I've been pretty lucky in that regard, and it's not like I'm some 6'6 270 lb monster that people would be intimidated by, I'm only 6'1 185 lol. The worst of it comes when the stadium is emptying, or while on the train with a bunch of drunk fans, they usually get pretty cool after you identify yourself, though.

The first time I went to Yankee Stadium I had batteries thrown at me while in uniform. Every time after that, and the number of games is in the dozens, has been enjoyable. Especially in the new stadium. They are genuinely friendly and one guy even bought me a hot chocolate at Game 5 of the LDS.

I've also been to my share of Phillies games, and I haven't seen anything that I would consider out of line. Even when the Mets are in town. Eagles games are a totally different story. The stereotypes are much more accurate.

Bottom line, every city, including our own, has its share of idiots. I think episodes like this are possible anywhere (except maybe Milwaukee, which has the nicest drunks you'll ever see). Its unfortunate that things like this happen at a sporting event, but its fairly rare and I think we should keep that in mind.

The first time I went to Yankee Stadium I had batteries thrown at me while in uniform. Every time after that, and the number of games is in the dozens, has been enjoyable. Especially in the new stadium. They are genuinely friendly and one guy even bought me a hot chocolate at Game 5 of the LDS.

I've also been to my share of Phillies games, and I haven't seen anything that I would consider out of line. Even when the Mets are in town. Eagles games are a totally different story. The stereotypes are much more accurate.

Bottom line, every city, including our own, has its share of idiots. I think episodes like this are possible anywhere (except maybe Milwaukee, which has the nicest drunks you'll ever see). Its unfortunate that things like this happen at a sporting event, but its fairly rare and I think we should keep that in mind.

It's absolutely rare, and I agree, I had one bad experience in Yankee stadium 8 years ago when some tough guy threatened me with a knife while I was walking by the ramp to the bleacher section. I'm really, really tolerant to words, unless my son is with me, then I expect people to at least respect the kids age, and you know what, I really never have problems when I'm with the boy. It probably also helps that all of my friends are Yankee fans, and they are busting my chops as much as the people I don't know. I'm not sure I'd go to a football game in Philly, even just for the one time experience. lol.

So you're saying that if the guy had been packing the situation would have been --- better? Because it is always good to add lethal weapons to a mix of adrenaline, machismo and oh yeah drunk. Because large crowds always react so well to the presence of fire arms during a fight.

Yeah that's great.

Please child, the absolute WORST THING that could have happened in that situation is for a gun to be there. Let alone some civilian who THINKS they have training using a gun in a crowded chaotic situation when they really don't.

It is the ignorant-ass views like that that make sure responsible gun owners get shafted because enough wanna-be action heroes like you ruin it for the rest of us.

/end politics

/worth the likely sanctions I will get.

And this is precisely why Orioles Hangout forbids speaking of politics. Someone inevitably goes to far and makes things personal. Nothing like getting attacked by someone and not being able to defend myself. Oh the irony...

Out of respect to the board and it's greats mods and members, I won't take this anywhere as far as I'd like, but I have to at least say this. I wasn't talking about the stadium. I was talking about when down in the city, walking the streets. Also, I'm not some "civilian." I'm retired Navy and proudly defended your ability and right to pretend you know it all. Again, My deepest apologies to the board, it's mods and it's members for this post and the original rule breaking that led this thread down this path, but I had to say something and will not say anything further on this subject. I promise.

Saw this in the comments section of HardballTalk.com:

This happened about 5 rows behind me. Both sets of fans were going at it all night. Too bad this happened when the O’s were rallying. It put a damper on an otherwise incredible game. Oh, and if by confront the two guys who threw the beer you mean try to climb over a railing and go after them, yes, that’s what happened. That’s why ushers and police are there. Report it and let them handle it.

I worked security at Merriweather post. Here is what happens in these incidents. The victims friends come forward and portray him as an innocent saint. The guys arrested get their friends to come forward and portray the victim as the heavy and give all kind of reasons why the victim caused the incident. Those making judgments based on the girlfriends statements are naive imho. None of us know what happened and for the life of me, I don't understand the need to rush to judgment and draw conclusions given none or incomplete information.

And Weams, sorry but opinions are worthless if they aren't based on information.

You are never going to leave your house with attitude like that. Camden Yards is pretty safe place. I would say I have gone to a couple hundred games there and have had zero bad experiences with other people. And the guy who threw the punch in this incident is from Jarrettsville, MD. I lived there for many years. It is probably one of the safest places in the world. I never locked my door. The biggest thing on the crime logs was that a cow got loose. 40,000 people get killed in auto accident every year in this county. Someone choked to death on a hot dog at Wrigley field.

It is unfortunate that someone choked to death at a ball park. Maybe you are right

But maybe you should try to see things from my point of view. I am totally

defenseless. I am not saying Camden Yards or any ball part is a hangout for

gang bangers. I just believe people or at least me has to be aware of your

surroundings. I don't mean to be rude to you or anyone else. This is just the way

I choose to live.

Last year, game 2 ALDS...right before the the first pitch a couple of knuckleheads

start throwing peanuts at a couple of Yankees fans. These guys have enough and stand up and start calling the guys out which makes everyone (but me) in the section start threatening them. I mean this is getting ugly fast. Finally, their friend wearing the O's gear stands up and says "they're with me and they can root for whoever they want". Situation diffused. BPD officer naturally shows up five minutes later when nothing is going on. By the 8th inning Yanks fans are bombed and they're hugging O's fans and everyone is taking cellphone photos. LOL

I worked security at Merriweather post. Here is what happens in these incidents. The victims friends come forward and portray him as an innocent saint. The guys arrested get their friends to come forward and portray the victim as the heavy and give all kind of reasons why the victim caused the incident. Those making judgments based on the girlfriends statements are naive imho. None of us know what happened and for the life of me, I don't understand the need to rush to judgment and draw conclusions given none or incomplete information.

And Weams, sorry but opinions are worthless if they aren't based on information.

Maybe because the victim has or had a fractured skull and because the idiots

that did it were arrested. Is that clear enough for you to see why some on this

board are saying what they have said? Even if the victim started the altercation

there is never reason to hit someone in the head with a beer bottle. Good thing

that man didnt die. But he could have. When these thugs get out of jail and I

hope it is many years from now they had better learn to control their anger or

whatever their problems are. The next time they decide to do something stupid

it could be very tragic for someone.

Archived