Cliff Lee could take us to the WS

El Gordo

Hammel, $6.75M, is the highest paid pitcher in 2013.

2012 - Hammel was the highest paid starter at $4.75M. Gregg topped the pitchers salary list at $5.2M.

2011 - Guthrie's $5.75M was the highest for a starter. Gonzalez topped the pitchers salary list at $6M.

2010 - Millwood was the highest paid starter, followed by Guthie at $3M. Koji, $6M, and Gonzalez, $5M, made more than Guthrie.

2009 - Baez $7.17M, Koji $5M, Walker $4.5M, Sherrill $2.75M, Hendrickson $1.5M, Ray $850K. Guthrie, $650K, was the second highest paid starter after Koji. Koji made more than the entire 2008 rotation. Bergesen, Berken, and Hernandez each made the ML minimum ($400K), and Hill was paid $445K. Therefore, the five starters after Koji made a total salary of $2.3M, or less than half of his salary. Baez alone almost made as much as the entire rotation.

2008 - Baez $6.17M, Walker $4.5M, Bradford $3.67M. Cabrera, $2.9M, was the highest paid starter followed by Trachsel at $1.5M. Cabrera made more than the other 4 starters combined. The rotation of Guthrie ($770K) ? Cabrera -Olson ($390K) -Burres ($395K) and Liz ($390K) combined ($4.83M) made less than Baez and a little more than Walker. The Yankees had 5 pitchers who each made more than the entire Orioles rotation. Mussina alone made 2.3X the salary of our starting five.

Good info. Thanks! But, man, reading those pitchers names made me nauseous! Baez and Burres and Liz sounds like that phrase from the Wizard of Oz..."Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!" "Baez and Burres and Liz, oh my!".

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love me some Cliff Lee. But... that would be a horrible deal. I would rather insert Gausman and Schoop into those holes, and try to bolster the rotation with one more Feldman type starter. Then renting a fat bat for a few months shouldn't cost us the farm either. I'm thinking a Bonilla-type deal (which might take a couple high-B prospects) or something like Gillick did when he traded for Zeile and Incaviglia for two "players to be named."

I think your suggestion represents an almost total departure from "the plan" - which is basically building from within.

If we're going to go after any elite talent, I would prefer it to be on the FA market, or for younger talent in return.

If you are a team like the Royals (small market, limited resources, longtime loser) you NEVER trade one of the game’s best prospects just as he is about to come to the major leagues. Never.

And if you do … well, no, you don’t don’t do it. Not ever.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-regrettable-trade.html

Substitute Orioles for Royals, Small market for small to mid market, Limited to limited by budget, Long time loser to long time loser until last season.

The big difference here is that Myers is a phenomenal everyday player. Who do we have like that? And don't say Gausman or Bundy.

I think either are as valuable as Myers. Myers has almost no defense/baserunning ability.

Where are you getting that from? While he's not a CF (played there a significant amount of time in the minors), I've read that he projects fairly well in RF. Has a plus arm and a little below average speed. Probably an averagish right fielder.

Where are you getting that from? While he's not a CF (played there a significant amount of time in the minors), I've read that he projects fairly well in RF. Has a plus arm and a little below average speed. Probably an averagish rigth rigth fielder.

I've heard the same. He may not steal but Joe Maddon has previously RAVED about the kids ability and smarts in running the bases.

I love me some Cliff Lee. But... that would be a horrible deal. I would rather insert Gausman and Schoop into those holes, and try to bolster the rotation with one more Feldman type starter. Then renting a fat bat for a few months shouldn't cost us the farm either. I'm thinking a Bonilla-type deal (which might take a couple high-B prospects) or something like Gillick did when he traded for Zeile and Incaviglia for two "players to be named."

I think your suggestion represents an almost total departure from "the plan" - which is basically building from within.

If we're going to go after any elite talent, I would prefer it to be on the FA market, or for younger talent in return.

Bonilla cost us our absolutely best prospect, Alex Ochoa. He did not work out the way we had hyped him.

The big difference here is that Myers is a phenomenal everyday player. Who do we have like that? And don't say Gausman or Bundy.
I think either are as valuable as Myers. Myers has almost no defense/baserunning ability.

Of course they are as valuable as Myers.

Of course they are as valuable as Myers.

I'm not saying they aren't valuable. How valuable is winning right now? We won't have this team together always. Gausman may not develop a third pitch, Bundy may not recover from surgery.

We are one special player away. I like contending but I'd rather win it all. I don't buy the argument that we have to give up all that much. If they ask for too much then we just say no of course, but for the right deal to get a proven TOR, yes I'm trading either Gausman or Bundy.

I'm not saying they aren't valuable. How valuable ifs winning right now? We won't have this team together always. Gausman may not develop a third pitch, Bundy may not recover from surgery.

We are one special player away. I like contending but ifs rather win it all. I don't buy the argument that we have to give up all that much.

What if we had this chance before Manny was promoted?

Where are you getting that from? While he's not a CF (played there a significant amount of time in the minors), I've read that he projects fairly well in RF. Has a plus arm and a little below average speed. Probably an averagish right fielder.

Exactly. Not the one dimensional player that Drungo is making him out to be.

I'll answer. Several people here wanted to send Manny and Bundy for Chase Headley.

It's an excellent point and believe me I love Gausman, I'm probably higher on him than most here. I don't think we were as close last year. It was DD's first year, Buck's second full year when he historically has made big strides but we weren't there yet.

It's hard, but there is no real way to know about prospects. Even guys you are sure have all the tools will flame out. I think Lee makes us the odds on favorite to win it all. Not Gausman, not this year. Maybe in the future, but who knows what that brings?

Archived