Cliff Lee could take us to the WS

El Gordo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are sending Urrutia back to the minors? Or to the bench?

I doubt Roberts "needs" to get used to being a bench player.

Urrutia is the primary DH, but can play some LF or RF just like he can now. Lineup looks like this:

McLouth

Markakis

Utley

Jones

Davis

Machado

Wieters

Urrutia

Hardy

Duquette's the one that broke the mold by trading for Pedro and signing Ramirez. If any Orioles GM is going to do it or convince Angelos to do it, he's the guy...

Since DD won't then no one will. This is a team that's already leaked that their payroll is tapped out under $100M. They're not even thinking about an immediate increase to $120M and beyond.

Dan Duquette has already traded for Scott Feldman and Francisco Rodriguez dealing away Jake Arrieta, Pedro Strop and Nick Delmonico.

The Orioles still have Dylan Bundy, Kevin Gausman and Jonathan Schoop.

All of the teams in the AL East have weakness. The Orioles right now have a #5 starter's spot, and a lack of a proven playoff bat in the lineup that will work the count.

The Phillies could solve both those needs in one fell swoop. Ruben Amaro needs to rebuild. He can't justify shelling out 15 million a season for Utley for ages 35+ nor can he justifiy keeping the 70+ million owed to Lee on a team that likely won't be competitive for some time.

The Orioles could be dominant with both. Utley would take over 2B duties from Brian Roberts, moving him to the bench which is where his career is likely to head after 2013 and Utley could also DH. Lee would move to the front of the rotation for the next few years and anchor a competitive Orioles team.

The Orioles could extend Utley, or they could just let him walk as all they really need is his bat for a World Series run.

A package of one of Bundy or Gausman and Schoop as the headliners with some other pieces should be enough to land them both in a time when teams are being stingy with dealing top prospects.

Duquette has already made two bold moves this trading deadline, but none would be bolder or energize the team like making a move like this.

You could say the Orioles were trading the farm, but frankly the farm system is out of impact players to help this club in the next few years other than Bundy or Gausman and will need to be rebuilt anyway. This team is ready for an extended run and now is the time to be bold and go all-in if there ever was one.

If you are going to post this please source it.

Utley is one of the best defenders at 2B according to UZR. Some say he cheats his positioning, but it's working for him:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=2b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=24,d

I don't care how he gets it done. They said Cal used to cheat too. To me that means a guy is just doing more mhomework on the opposition to make up for slightly less physical abilities.

Trea is right that Utley rates out well by UZR (and DRS) . Very well and very consistent.

Good to know.

Weren't you the guy that started thread about Lee getting us to the WS?
I was, and still think that. I don't think we get to the WS as we are. But it seems clear that the O's have no interest in spending the money needed. I'd offer Bundy plus for Lee, and take on most of his salary.

How do you source irrational exuberance?

Ha ha, I'll admit it's a pipedream most likely, as either player has a minimal chance of being an Oriole, but boy the Phillies would be a one stop shop to a World Series contender if we could make it happen.

Ha ha, I'll admit it's a pipedream most likely, as either player has a minimal chance of being an Oriole, but boy the Phillies would be a one stop shop to a World Series contender if we could make it happen.

Yeah, we'd all be happy (happier) campers if the old man would cough up the MASN money.

Source? That's all from me.

The fact that Ruben Amaro is listening to Cliff Lee offers after signing another pitcher to a hefty contract. He mas to reload or get fired.

I have not seen anywhere where it has been said that he is listening to offers. Correct me if I am wrong.

Archived