Has Jim Johnson fully regained your confidence?

Frobby

No, I am just asking for not blowing 2 games in the playoffs. If he only blew 1 we would have won the series.

He didn't blow two, he blew one. He lost Game 1, but it was a tie game when he entered. There's no saying who wins that game if JJ comes in and throws a shutout inning or two. Let it go already.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He didn't blow two, he blew one. He lost Game 1, but it was a tie game when he entered. There's no saying who wins that game if JJ comes in and throws a shutout inning or two. Let it go already.
So, similarly, you're saying it's not O.K. if I still blame Armando Benitez for the 1997 ALCS? :)

So, similarly, you're saying it's not O.K. if I still blame Armando Benitez for the 1997 ALCS? :)

If you think about it, it is pretty similar. Benitez was a huge reason the O's won the AL East that year, and yet all people remember is that he lost the final game of the ALCS. But he had a much worse playoff series then than Johnson did last year, having a hand in three losses (blown save in Game 2, allowed a walk-off hit in Game 4 with 2 outs in the 9th, lost Game 6). And then he was very erratic for us in '98, so he gave us no chance to forgive him. JJ has a lot more goodwill built up from his prior years with the O's, and he's been great this year with the exception of one two-week stretch.

Jim Johnson is good. Period. I never lost confidence in him, so I am not regaining what I never lost. Is he perfect? No. Not even Mariano Rivera has been perfect. Is he one of the best closers in baseball? Yes he certainly is.

Archived