Has Jim Johnson fully regained your confidence?

Frobby

I have the problem? These guys bring their inflatable Yankee blow up dolls to work, put it on their desk and things like that. They say things such as girls throw like Orioles pitchers.

I'm sure you wouldn't be annoyed by something like that?

Just remind them that they're being jerks about a baseball game. One that they didn't even actively participate in. One that they only have a rooting interest in because they chose to take the path of no resistance and root for the team that has more resources than God and wins the World Series once every four years. Remind them that you root for a team that has a payroll 1/3rd of theirs because of a rigged system that wants them to win for the TV ratings, and they still needed to go to the wire.

If you're a Yankee fan and you rub everyone's face in it you're the kind of guy who hits a pedestrian with his Ford F350 and gets out and taunts them for not having the guts to stand up to his manly truck.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just remind them that they're being jerks about a baseball game. One that they didn't even actively participate in. One that they only have a rooting interest in because they chose to take the path of no resistance and root for the team that has more resources than God and wins the World Series once every four years. Remind them that you root for a team that has a payroll 1/3rd of theirs because of a rigged system that wants them to win for the TV ratings, and they still needed to go to the wire.

If you're a Yankee fan and you rub everyone's face in it you're the kind of guy who hits a pedestrian with his Ford F350 and gets out and taunts them for not having the guts to stand up to his manly truck.

I just remind them that I am rooting for the Yankees to lose, and I usually win. Except for that last blip in 2009.

In a 2001 HBO documentary on the 50-year anniversary pf the Bobby Thomson-Ralph Branca home run, one of the Dodger fans stated that Yankee fans would root for the I.R.S. in a tax suit against an average citizen.

The best line I saw is rooting for the MFY is like rooting for the house in blackjack.

There was a two seamer that he threw to Trout that ran in to him that Trout had no chance of hitting.

Trout. Had. No. Chance.

Can't say as I've seen that very often and I see him play a lot.

Nasty pitch that started down middle in and ended up down and off the plate after Trout swung over it.

Nasty.

There was a two seamer that he threw to Trout that ran in to him that Trout had no chance of hitting.

Trout. Had. No. Chance.

Can't say as I've seen that very often and I see him play a lot.

Nasty pitch that started down middle in and ended up down and off the plate after Trout swung over it.

Nasty.

True. If the thread was simply about whether JJ looked good tonight, I couldn't find much reason to worry. Nine pitches, six strikes, three outs, zero walks/hits. Still, the pitch to Trout was the only swinging strike. JJ also only threw one called strike. The ball was certainly moving a lot, so the balls in play were weakly hit. Maybe I'm just imagining things based on earlier-season causes for concern, but it just didn't look like JJ was "hitting the mitt," so to speak.

Results, good. But has JJ restored my confidence? Not really. Not yet. Just keep those uneventful saves coming, and that will change.

I give Johnson credit for making a nice gutty comeback since his disastrous blow-up not too long ago, and I give credit to Showalter for not panicking and sticking with him ...... although, I wouldn't mind if he occasionally let another pitcher (Hunter, O'Day) finish a few games over the course of the season, as I am a fan of that (having a primary closer is fine, but I really wish that managers were a little more flexible in their decisions in closing games throughout the marathon, 162-game season.)

Didn't look like he knew where it was going half the time, though. Can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing, in light of the results.

Really? His command looked as good as it's been in a while. Threw the 2-seamer on the outside corner with ease. Then used it to bust Trout down and in. He looked fantastic.

Archived