Britton for Wright and $4M

wildcard

He wasn't available.

Yeah, he is going to be out for the year with "severely sprained toe." I think he stubbed his toe going to the phone to call his agent to suggest that he be traded to the Orioles because they are "really going to spend money this year." He figured that they are dumb enough to take his big contract on and he won't have to hear the NY media complaining about him anymore. It's a win-win situation.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello Oriole fans.

I have a opinion to share about the jaret wright for chris britton deal.

So here it is

I'm wondering why do the orioles always seem obsesses with the project starters? (omar daal from a few years ago, ortiz from last year, Kurt ainsworth) and now Jaret wright had one good year and hasnt really done nothing since.

He 31 years old but there is not a big reward there. Just alot of risk in my opinion

I'm wondering why didnt we go after Carl Pavano, yes i know about the injuries but i figure hes younger(i think) has alot more potential and believe he is a big risk but may have a bigger reward. I know the salary probably was too much though.

Anybody think we would have been better off trying to go after pavano?

Wright has had more than 1 good year if you consider the O's traded for him only for depth, expecting him to be the 4th or 5th starter (or possibly bullpen if they obtain another starter or one of the youngsters (Penn or Olson) forces his way into the rotation out of Spring Training. That's what the front office indicated. This wasn't a project trade. Wright has a legit track record when healthy. Granted the track record averages out to him being an average starter but that's all the O's are expecting from him. Anything else is gravy.

i just figure that the rotation is already better. We shouldnt be going after aging / or under performing starters like him. I mean couldnt we have traded for that prospect at least. I think his name is phil hughs.

The rotation right now

is

Bedard

Cabrera

Loewen

Benson

Wright/Penn/ A Good Free Agent Name?

I just feel if we get meche, or mulder where are we going to put all these people?

but that my opinion. though feel free to disagree

Hello Oriole fans.

I have a opinion to share about the jaret wright for chris britton deal.

So here it is

I'm wondering why do the orioles always seem obsesses with the project starters? (omar daal from a few years ago, ortiz from last year, Kurt ainsworth) and now Jaret wright had one good year and hasnt really done nothing since.

He 31 years old but there is not a big reward there. Just alot of risk in my opinion

I'm wondering why didnt we go after Carl Pavano, yes i know about the injuries but i figure hes younger(i think) has alot more potential and believe he is a big risk but may have a bigger reward. I know the salary probably was too much though.

Anybody think we would have been better off trying to go after pavano?

Duke was quoted as stating that, from a philosophical perspective, it was preferred to deal reliever for starter. I'm not 100% sure why but I'd be willing to wager the conversion from starter to reliever is easier than reliever to starter (no hard facts here). That being said, if it sets the stage to move RLo for something that proves a potential net gain overall, then you may just have a second reason. For the record, Duke can do no wrong in my opinion this offseason as he's at least executing against a plan - I would be willing to bet he had a major stake in establishing it and convincing the other bird brains to ride along. Just some random bizarre thoughts...

He 31 years old but there is not a big reward there. Just alot of risk in my opinion.

My problem is with Duquette's rational for the deal. "We weren't sure what was going to happen with him, but we liked him for a lot of reasons, and one of the biggest factors was his relationship with Leo," said Jim Duquette, the team's vice president of baseball operations. "We think he's a definite upgrade to the rotation. He was hitting 93-95 [mph] at the end of the year. He's a proven veteran.

"He's won, he's pitched in the playoffs and he's a winner in terms of what he brings to the clubhouse."

Wright is only an upgrade if you're thinking of the #5 spot in the rotation. He's anything but a proven veteran. Wright has only won in the sense that anyone who has pitched 10 years has of course won some games but his season average is 7-6. He has pitched in the playoffs but hasn't won a game there since 1997. I'm glad he's a winner in the clubhouse but you don't trade for that reason. What it all boils down to is that he pitched well for the last 10 games or so last season. The Yankees who know him best realized that now was the time to get rid of him before his next injury.

Anyway my point is that the Orioles' rationale for getting Wright just doesn't hold up for me.

Duke was quoted as stating that, from a philosophical perspective, it was preferred to deal reliever for starter. I'm not 100% sure why but I'd be willing to wager the conversion from starter to reliever is easier than reliever to starter (no hard facts here). That being said, if it sets the stage to move RLo for something that proves a potential net gain overall, then you may just have a second reason. For the record, Duke can do no wrong in my opinion this offseason as he's at least executing against a plan - I would be willing to bet he had a major stake in establishing it and convincing the other bird brains to ride along. Just some random bizarre thoughts...

I totally concur. This is Duke's shot to make something out of this team. He's going to shoot from the hip if he has to and he may end up shooting himself in the foot but he's our best chance to improve this club in years. I wish him luck.

4. I rather doubt Wright will pitch an inning for us. The FO's mantra for the last few years has been good players that we can control for several years. No renting. Wright for one year and losing Britton is diametrically opposed to that. This is absolutely the first of many moves they are planning/working on. The article said there have been several teams interested in R-Lo. This frees him (or Wright) up to do that.
The Orioles have gotten calls from three teams inquiring about the availability of Jaret Wright, the starting pitcher they acquired Sunday in a trade with the New York Yankees.

;) Say what you want about losing Britton, but we now have a $3 million decent starter, a very valuable commodity.

What happened since we traded for Jaret Wright to suddenly make his value skyrocket to so much more than Chris Britton?

Boston paid $50 million just to negotiate with Matsuzaka... I don't think that anything has necessary transpired yet - but I think that Wright will prove to be a valuable commodity at $3MM as the offseason plays out.

Just a hunch.

Archived