Alexi Casilla..

AlbionHero

If Schoop hadn't hurt his back, he'd probably be at 2B right now. He is the plan for next year, unless Flaherty somehow starts to hit sometime this year.

Schoop was not hitting well before he got hurt. He wasn't kicking at the door to the major leagues.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that it's clear that Casilla just misjudged whether the ball would be caught, rather than forgetting how many outs there were, I'm not that mad at him. Even if he had retreated to 1B, our chances of losing that game were well over 65% with a runner at 1st, two out and Dickerson at the plate. I would have liked to take a shot at it, but it's not like Casilla denied us a sure victory, just a puncher's chance at one.

I may be more upset at Davis for not trying for an opposite field single, or even dropping one of the bunts he practiced so much during the off-season, and said he'd use in game situations when fitting. Last night was one of those situations. We were down by three runs, one man was on base, and had he gotten on, the tie run would've come to the plate with nobody out. Instead, the swinging for the fences, and didn't reach base. As we saw with the homer for Matt, it was nice, but, in the end, it just made for a closer loss. Who knows what would've happened had he come up with two runners on, and Bailey throwing fastballs down the middle.

Just thought I'd let the board know that Ommaculate, the guy who professes that "he doesn't care what we think about him and/or rep", neg repped me back with the comment "go f yourself". We've got a classy one here, boys and girls.

And this guy left me a neg rep first and said "YOU C"

What does the C stand for? I won't be bullied by you man. My message was in response to your instigating me.

When Roberts returns I think Casilla is a better backup. I want Flaherty down in AAA getting opportunities.

Yeah, pretty sure Flaherty gets sent down when Roberts is ready unless the O's decide to keep him over Valencia (who has options) or Pearce who would be DFA'd. Flaherty can play all the positions Pearce and Valencia play, so that is a possibility I suppose, but I just don't see it.

Pretty sure DD would want to send Flaherty down, not sure about Buck but still think Flaherty to Norfolk makes the most sense.

When Betemit is ready though the brain trust will have a much more difficult decision, IMO, as to who goes. I'm guessing Valencia for now just because we can whereas Pearce or Dickerson would get snatched up.

Yeah, pretty sure Flaherty gets sent down when Roberts is ready unless the O's decide to keep him over Valencia (who has options) or Pearce who would be DFA'd. Flaherty can play all the positions Pearce and Valencia play, so that is a possibility I suppose, but I just don't see it.

Pretty sure DD would want to send Flaherty down, not sure about Buck but still think Flaherty to Norfolk makes the most sense.

When Betemit is ready though the brain trust will have a much more difficult decision, IMO, as to who goes. I'm guessing Valencia for now just because we can whereas Pearce or Dickerson would get snatched up.

You are forgetting about Reimold, who will be back well before Roberts or Betemit. Pearce is likely to be DFA'ed for Reimold since he is "cold" at the moment. Casilla has to really be bad for him to be the roster casualty when Roberts comes back.

You are forgetting about Reimold, who will be back well before Roberts or Betemit. Pearce is likely to be DFA'ed for Reimold since he is "cold" at the moment. Casilla has to really be bad for him to be the roster casualty when Roberts comes back.

Ugh. Totally forgot about Reimold. I agree with you that Pearce is most likely to be DFA'd for Reimold, unless, again, they decide to send Valencia back so as not to lose Pearce. So, I guess that would lead to Valencia getting optioned when Betemit comes back? OR do you think there is any chance they keep Valencia over Reimold or Dickerson?

Time is starting to run down for these decisions but, as we all know, something else unforeseen is very likely to happen before the time comes. We'll see...

Ugh. Totally forgot about Reimold. I agree with you that Pearce is most likely to be DFA'd for Reimold, unless, again, they decide to send Valencia back so as not to lose Pearce. So, I guess that would lead to Valencia getting optioned when Betemit comes back? OR do you think there is any chance they keep Valencia over Reimold or Dickerson?

Time is starting to run down for these decisions but, as we all know, something else unforeseen is very likely to happen before the time comes. We'll see...

I think Reimold will get at least 10 games in a rehab assignment before he is activated. I would assume Pearce is gone since Valencia has pretty much taken his at-bats. I think Reimold is given a chance to show he deserves a roster spot but he might be the roster casualty for Betemit, especially if Valencia is still producing.

I think Reimold will get at least 10 games in a rehab assignment before he is activated. I would assume Pearce is gone since Valencia has pretty much taken his at-bats. I think Reimold is given a chance to show he deserves a roster spot but he might be the roster casualty for Betemit, especially if Valencia is still producing.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Throw in the fact that Valencia can back up first and third MUCH better then Betemit can (even before he injured his knee) and it makes all the more sense.

All that being said, Betemit's injury was about as close to requiring surgery as can be and until he gets out rehab and shows he can play I'm going to be extremely wary of him being able to stay healthy. Like Brian Roberts wary. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nice to see Casilla with the big bomb last night. He has played very sparingly in June (4 starts, 17 PA). He's actually hit .357/.471/.786, with 7 RBI, in those limited opportunities.

Buck mentioned that he has been dealing with a finger injury that's been holding him back. Flaherty has put a nice string of ABs together. Does he get sent down when Roberts comes back?

Buck mentioned that he has been dealing with a finger injury that's been holding him back. Flaherty has put a nice string of ABs together. Does he get sent down when Roberts comes back?

I think Ishikawa is the odd man out. He's not good enough at any one thing to keep him around over Flaherty or Casilla when Roberts returns.

Archived