The BRob Effect

webbrick2010

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guess, Roberts had missed most of the last few years is on last year of his contract. Probably wanted to get back with the team as long as he could for one last season and a run at the playoffs. This is his last chance to go there with the O's.

Are they in the business of winning games or did this suddenly become part of the Make A Wish Foundation? Roberts has done little in my eyes to warrant being promoted before a complete rehab was exhausted. He's taking away time from Flaherty and Casilla, both of whom were starting to play better AND as primarily the DH he's taking away ABs and a roster spot from Valencia. He isn't nearly the defensive second baseman he used to be(one play doesn't change that) and he isn't stealing bases. Oh, and he isn't getting on base. Did I miss anything?

Let's make sure he gets his chance at the playoffs though. I think he's been well paid while mostly watching these past four years. They don't owe him anything.

Are they in the business of winning games or did this suddenly become part of the Make A Wish Foundation? Roberts has done little in my eyes to warrant being promoted before a complete rehab was exhausted. He's taking away time from Flaherty and Casilla, both of whom were starting to play better AND as primarily the DH he's taking away ABs and a roster spot from Valencia. He isn't nearly the defensive second baseman he used to be(one play doesn't change that) and he isn't stealing bases. Oh, and he isn't getting on base. Did I miss anything?

Let's make sure he gets his chance at the playoffs though. I think he's been well paid while mostly watching these past four years. They don't owe him anything.

He didn't promote himself. Take your complaints to Buck and the front office.

He didn't promote himself. Take your complaints to Buck and the front office.

I'm aware, but you should stay from statements like,"Probably wanted to get back with the team as long as he could for one last season and a run at the playoffs." As if he is determining an outcome.

I already stated my position. I think it's out of loyalty they have given him a spot on the team and in the meantime it costs another guy a spot and potentially the team games.

I'm aware, but you should stay from statements like,"Probably wanted to get back with the team as long as he could for one last season and a run at the playoffs." As if he is determining an outcome.

I already stated my position. I think it's out of loyalty they have given him a spot on the team and in the meantime it costs another guy a spot and potentially the team games.

It cost Flaherty a spot, a player who was vilified on this board until he got hot for 10 days. I'm willing to give Roberts the same rope that Flaherty got, if he's not hitting at the end of August, start someone else. He's going to be able to keep pace with Flaherty's .600 OPS, I have little doubt.

Guess, Roberts had missed most of the last few years is on last year of his contract. Probably wanted to get back with the team as long as he could for one last season and a run at the playoffs. This is his last chance to go there with the O's.

Key word in the whole comment. I have no idea about anything that has to do with his coming back to the team. And neither do you or anyone else here. I'm sure HE wanted to get back asap. He'd been working hard to return for opening day, got hurt. He just wants to play. Wants to help the team. Wants to experience the playoffs first hand. It's not his call when he comes back. It's Buck's and the FO to determine when he's ready. I'm sure if they felt he needed more time, he'd still be in the minors.

It cost Flaherty a spot, a player who was vilified on this board until he got hot for 10 days. I'm willing to give Roberts the same rope that Flaherty got, if he's not hitting at the end of August, start someone else. He's going to be able to keep pace with Flaherty's .600 OPS, I have little doubt.

And Roberts has done way more for this team to deserve that opportunity.

You better start doubting. BRob since his return:

.125/.185/.250/.435

You say that like it means something. Over the same number of plate appearances, Chris Davis is hitting .120/.214/.400. It is statistical noise.

Are you seriously comparing Brian Roberts to Chris Davis. Sure Chris Davis is going to have a week where he hits as bad as Brian Roberts, but Brian Roberts will never have a month where he hits as well as Chris Davis.

Brian Roberts is washed up, he won't OPS .600 this year.... how many games will he cost the O's???

Are you seriously comparing Brian Roberts to Chris Davis. Sure Chris Davis is going to have a week where he hits as bad as Brian Roberts, but Brian Roberts will never have a month where he hits as well as Chris Davis.

Brian Roberts is washed up, he won't OPS .600 this year.... how many games will he cost the O's???

Of course he is, to show you how ridiculous the sample of games you are judging Roberts by is. Shockingly, you missed the point.

It took Flaherty months to crack a. 600 OPS.

This is more absurd. In a vacuum, yes. But Buck has 10 million pressures to play him.

I absolutely HATE this logic. Buck is under pressure to win games. Period. We've spent $10 mm on Roberts whether he plays or not. There should be no pressure on Buck to play BRob just because he earns a big salary. Who's exerting that pressure, anyway? Certainly not Duquette, who had nothing to do with signing BRob to that contract.

There's exactly one reason Buck is under pressure to give BRob a shot -- because Flaherty has a .620 OPS in 195 PA and Casilla has a .614 OPS in 96 PA. They've had a lot of chances (especially Flaherty), and haven't hit well enough to justify holding a starting job. So you give a shot to BRob, who looked good this spring and in the three games before he got hurt, and who has a career OPS that is 140 points higher than Flaherty's and 120 points higher than Casilla's. And if he can't outperform them after getting a reasonable amount of playing time, then you shift gears. This isn't that complicated.

You better start doubting. BRob since his return:

.125/.185/.250/.435

Forget since he returned, these are his numbers since 2011 .211/.260/.294/.555. I realize some of the fans want to believe the old Brian Roberts will return, but it's quite clear that the player Roberts is now is far from the guy that was a key member of the team.

Of course he is, to show you how ridiculous the sample of games you are judging Roberts by is. Shockingly, you missed the point.

It took Flaherty months to crack a. 600 OPS.

He did get the point, he just chose to ignore it. That's why he said "Chris Davis is going to have a week where he hits as bad as Brian Roberts, but Brian Roberts will never have a month where he hits as well as Chris Davis." Because even a 35-year-old Brian Roberts could certainly have a week where he hits as well as Chris Davis.

I absolutely HATE this logic. Buck is under pressure to win games. Period. We've spent $10 mm on Roberts whether he plays or not. There should be no pressure on Buck to play BRob just because he earns a big salary. Who's exerting that pressure, anyway? Certainly not Duquette, who had nothing to do with signing BRob to that contract.

There's exactly one reason Buck is under pressure to give BRob a shot -- because Flaherty has a .620 OPS in 195 PA and Casilla has a .614 OPS in 96 PA. They've had a lot of chances (especially Flaherty), and haven't hit well enough to justify holding a starting job. So you give a shot to BRob, who looked good this spring and in the three games before he got hurt, and who has a career OPS that is 140 points higher than Flaherty's and 120 points higher than Casilla's. And if he can't outperform them after getting a reasonable amount of playing time, then you shift gears. This isn't that complicated.

Well I don't think it's that simple either.

Flaherty OPS over .800 in June and is the superior defender.

Casilla also had a strong June

BRob has done nothing in 4 years.

BRob will be 36 in October

Flaherty may have a future with the team.

It is/was a mistake for the O's to coddle BRob and give him preferrential treatment. He is 4 years removed from being a productive ML player. He should have spent a month at AAA proving he could still play. Instead he will spend a month in the majors proving he can't play. This must be very frustrating to all the players who can see up close just how badly BRobs skill have eroded.

How'd you like him not running out the ball he reached on by error last night??? BRob does nothing well and should not be on the roster.

Archived