Why can't we trade for Chris Sale?

bt12483

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A very modest estimate would have Bundy, Gausman, and Urrutia combining for 12 WAR in the next two years. 2 6 WAR years from Sale is very unlikely. But it's a moot point, what evidence is there that CHI is trading Sale?

That is not modest at all. Bundy will have 0 WAR the next two years.

Those damn other teams keep demanding value for their star players!

:cussing:

I hate when that happens.

But back to original issue- not sure what anyone is comfortable giving up for Sale. Captain Obvious tells me it'd be a bit more than Arrieta and Strop. I'd rather find another Feldman deal out there.

I would be shocked if we ever signed or traded for anything significant. I like the Feldman deal but check out this recent quote by DD:

“The addition of Scott Feldman to our team was a sign that we want to be in this thing,” Duquette said.

Really? Scott Feldman tells me you want to win, but not too much. Just enough to make more money on concessions, etc.

And what makes you think that? Randy Johnson (who sale is a clone of) pitched at that level for a decade

Blasphemy. Just because they are tall and throw from the side, it doesn't mean they have identical deliveries.

Enlighten yourself.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Essays/ScapularLoading.html

Example_ScapularLoading_Good_RandyJohnson_2007_014.jpg

sale.jpg?w=300

RandyJohnson_C_002_Annotated.gif

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B1lhw3p3elQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Are you saying Gausman or Bundy couldn't become an Ace?
From what I've seen of Gausman I'd say no. He needs to develop a hard slider at about 88 mph that he can command as well as better command of his FB to do that, and that's a tall order. I see him being in the neighborhood of Tillman or Gonzalez. Bundy who knows? He might not recover from the TJ, and even if he does, a lot of people in the organization thought Gausman had the higher ceiling.

Is a symptom of Lincecumitis throwing no hitters?

Would you be happy with, after trading for Sale, him putting up a 68 ERA+ season; and then the following year, in the midst of a 79 ERA+ season, Sale randomly throws a no-hitter after looking cooked for almost 2 years?

You're saying I should be happy in obtaining THAT? That my fear of "Lincecumitis" can be culled with one outing completely inconsistent with the rest of his season?

Would you be happy with, after trading for Sale, him putting up a 68 ERA+ season; and then the following year, in the midst of a 79 ERA+ season, Sale randomly throws a no-hitter after looking cooked for almost 2 years?

You're saying I should be happy in obtaining THAT? That my fear of "Lincecumitis" can be culled with one outing completely inconsistent with the rest of his season?

If he could consistently get through the 5th inning, unlike about half of our rotation, sure.

I think I would be OK with a career trajectory similar to Lincecum's: dominant for many years (2 Cy's, 2 WS wins in between), struggle for 2 years, no hitter...remainder to be determined. I think I could live with that. If the associated/perceived risk comes with that type of reward, sign me up every day of the week.

If he could consistently get through the 5th inning, unlike about half of our rotation, sure.

I think I would be OK with a career trajectory similar to Lincecum's: dominant for many years (2 Cy's, 2 WS wins in between), struggle for 2 years, no hitter...remainder to be determined. I think I could live with that. If the associated/perceived risk comes with that type of reward, sign me up every day of the week.

That is very silly logic. Great, he threw a no-hitter, but lets see how the rest of the year plays out. I bet the no-hitter (148 pitches) has more of a negative effect than a positive effect. And lets not act like the bad years are just bad years, they are bad years when he is being paid more than the league minimum for the year PER START.

Archived