Rosenthal: Bedard to Mariners 1 player from completion

8ripken2131

Is this a deal we would like if it were that 4 for 1?(not saying it is)

Triunfel and Tillman are high ceiling, very good prospects...Problem is, they are very young and very far away.

All we end up here is a dominant LOOGY(who could close) and Jones to help us immediately...And I know we don't need guys for this year persay but ML ready guys who aren't big question marks are important in a deal for Bedard IMO.

This is why I would prefer Clement, I think.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Triunfel and Tillman are high ceiling, very good prospects...Problem is, they are very young and very far away.

All we end up here is a dominant LOOGY(who could close) and Jones to help us immediately...And I know we don't need guys for this year persay but ML ready guys who aren't big question marks are important in a deal for Bedard IMO.

Yep. It should be:

1. High ceiling, low risk. (Ready to contribute.)

2. Moderate-to-high ceiling, low risk. (Ready to contribute.)

3. High ceiling, high risk. (Young.)

4. Moderate-to-high ceiling, high risk. (Young.)

It's why I like Cueto, Votto, Stubbs, +1.

I would take Jones, Tillman and Triunfel. Sherrill is good but he's much more valuable to a contender.

Tillman and Triunfel are young and risky, but Bedard for one blue-chipper and two excellent, albeit green prospects is a good deal. Not a phenomenal one, but pretty fair, and definitely a huge step for the future.

You know this board must be obsessed with Triunfel when you google "Triunfel baseball cube" to take another look at his stats and two of the top 3 links are to this board, lol.

This would be an a sweet haul. Perhaps AM is dragging this to see if any last minute suitors want to get in?

I'd also like Clement too, but this would be a good deal, definitely.

I could care less about guys who can help us immediately. I want to build for the future, and that's what his deal does. The high ceiling guys are who I want. I have no interest in dealing Bedard for mediocre talent that can help us now. We need to maximize the talent that we get in return, not the immediate help. There isn't enough "immediate help" out there that could help us to anything significant. And, I could care less about being helped immediately to another 4th place finish.

Yep. It should be:

1. High ceiling, low risk. (Ready to contribute.)

2. Moderate-to-high ceiling, low risk. (Ready to contribute.)

3. High ceiling, high risk. (Young.)

4. Moderate-to-high ceiling, high risk. (Young.)

Jones

Clement

Triunfel/Tillman

Chen

This seems to be the best deal for us.

Jones

Clement

Triunfel/Tillman

Chen

This seems to be the best deal for us.

I don't disagree - the addition of Triunfel to the mix helps a great deal. I'm not sold on Clement - but Triunfel makes up for that.

Before Triunfel was included, I thought the Reds package topped it.

I could care less about guys who can help us immediately. I want to build for the future, and that's what his deal does. The high ceiling guys are who I want. I have no interest in dealing Bedard for mediocre talent that can help us now. We need to maximize the talent that we get in return, not the immediate help. There isn't enough "immediate help" out there that could help us to anything significant. And, I could care less about being helped immediately to another 4th place finish.

"Help immediately" doesn't mean we care about next year - it means that there's not a long track of development ahead of the player. "Help immediately" means "developed."

High ceiling is fine, but when they're young, you're still running a huge risk. It really is like managing an investment portfolio. Diversify the risk.

Buying all-in on tech stocks - high ceiling - is nuts.

Archived