TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going by the eye test, he looks pretty solid at the plate to me right now. I am getting to a point where I wouldn't mind seeing him take his spot back at the top of the order honestly.. maybe not yet.. but a few more hot games and who knows.

Going by the eye test, he looks pretty solid at the plate to me right now. I am getting to a point where I wouldn't mind seeing him take his spot back at the top of the order honestly.. maybe not yet.. but a few more hot games and who knows.

Ditto this. (Me too). :thumbsup1:

Brian is one of maybe 3 players on the current roster than can have an 8-pitch AB and on the 9th pitch, flick an opposite field RBI single. That's a skill that you need in a playoff push.

I can easily name 3 more: Hank, McLouth, Markakis.

Brian is one of maybe 3 players on the current roster than can have an 8-pitch AB and on the 9th pitch, flick an opposite field RBI single. That's a skill that you need in a playoff push.

I agree, and that pop-up in the outfield, he had no problems dropping back and get under it, and it wasn't a moon shot.

Also lost in yesterday's game was Teagarden. Was that the first 3 hit game of his career? Hell, it had to have been, he only had 9 hits the entire YEAR in 2012.

As for BRob, I know many say he's washed up and his stats are this, that, and the other. But I just really like the guy, and I am pulling for him to have ONE playoff run with us this season to end his career on a high note. This dude has been forced to play on some really, REALLY crappy teams.

I'm on record as wanting to go with Flaherty - but Roberts has looked much better with the bat lately - and was particuarly good vs Arizona. His range is pretty bad though - Flaherty likely gets to the game winning hit last night for example - but if Roberts is going to continue to hit like he has the last week his offense will outweigh the defensive penalty you pay for having him out there. He needs to keep it rolling with the bat though to keep me persuaded.

Also lost in yesterday's game was Teagarden. Was that the first 3 hit game of his career? Hell, it had to have been, he only had 9 hits the entire YEAR in 2012.

As for BRob, I know many say he's washed up and his stats are this, that, and the other. But I just really like the guy, and I am pulling for him to have ONE playoff run with us this season to end his career on a high note. This dude has been forced to play on some really, REALLY crappy teams.

Roberts could be hitting over 1000 OPS and the anti-Roberts gang, wouldn't conceive that was the right call.

If you say so... but he won't OPS more than 650 when the season (and his career) are done.

Why do people take pleasure in ripping on this guy? Before his injuries he was one of the most beloved players in Baltimore. Yes, he hasn't earned his keep during this contract. Does that make him a bad guy where people want to be correct and that he won't have good numbers? I don't get it.

I never said he would, I said if he "COULD"

the critics wouldn't acknowledge it and still flame him on a daily basis.

There's a difference between being a critic and having an agenda you refuse to deviate from. I'm a Roberts critic, I wish we'd give Flaherty the job vs RHP and start Roberts vs LHP - but if Roberts OPS is 1.000 from here on out I'll build a statue to Brian Roberts in my front yard and polish it with a toothbrush daily. There are some posters on here that never change their tune - but I think for the most part posters here have a strong take - but if the evidence mounts to persuade them their take is wrong - they are more than happy to revise their opinion. Anyone adult taking time from their day to post on an Orioles message board in the end wants what's best for the team - and Brian Roberts OPSing 1.000 would be very good for the team indeed.

Archived