vs. MARINERS, 8/04

OFFNY

He is? By filling out a lineup card? His bullpen management has been mediocre at BEST, which is pretty much the most important job he has in a live-game situation.

Do you realize that a manager's in-game decisions are about 5% of what makes up his job? Do you not understand that everything else that goes into managing-- managing personalities, handling players, earning and giving respect, being prepared, all the other behind-the-scenes stuff -- is far more important than whether he brings in a pitcher one batter too late or too early?

I think we can confidently say that if the Orioles didn't have Buck Showalter as their manager, their record would be much, much worse than it currently is. That doesn't mean he never makes in-game mistakes. All managers do. But that's so far down on the list of what's important about managing that it's ridiculous to say Showalter is causing the Orioles more losses than wins.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some truth to that I guess. I just feel like there are a lot of games this year we would have won last year, with basically the same team.

Maybe so, but I don't think our record at this point is dissimilar. We need to start winning at a somewhat higher clip or we'll fall behind (or further behind) last year's pace.

You're wrong. He walked Brendan freaking Ryan and then gave up a tater to Henry blanco!

He didnt have anything left! The only reason it wasn't worse is the mariners have us a free out after another walk!!!!!

This isn't anything new either, Chen can't go past 100, he loses control.

Are you watching the same game? I'm not sure you are.

So now you question whether I watch the game because I don't go out on the ledge with every set back? I would have like him out, but its not some huge mistake that many of you are making it out to be. By nature of the question, managers are often going to pull a guy "one batter too late." That's the beauty of hindsight. You raise valid points, but let me just say this... They carry a lot more weight and are much better discussed when they're not attached to emotional rants ready to throw in the towel on the season (more the general change in tone, not any specific post YOU made);

Archived