Andy MacPhail is no different.....

Peace21

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His general message is at least two weeks too soon. That's the problem with it. We have incomplete information and which to judge the situation.

Perhaps.....You have to remember that there is possibly more info available to some that isn't being shared anymore because of all the stuff that has happened.

Also, at some point both the Orioles and other teams are going to move on...This is all taking forever...No reason for it to either...I have very little doubt that AM is the problem here. This is his reputation and always has been.

So, i think it is fair to think that something better happen by the end of this week before teams have to move on to other things, including the Orioles.

Come on Peace, we aren't going to be able to sign Bedard to an extension so do you just want to let him walk after two years so that the best thing you get out of him is a draft pick and maybe a couple of year of good pitching for a team that won't compete?

So, if I offered you Jones, Clement, Triunfel, Morrow, Tillman, and Sherrilll for Bruce, you'd turn it down?

Bruce is worth anywhere near that much. Honestly he's not worth Bedard 1 for 1. The idea that he's not available means that they really dont want Bedard as far as I'm concerned!

Considering MacPhail is so sloth like in his dealings, this could come back to bite the Orioles for future trades IMO. As somebody pointed out, before Angelos was the roadblock. Now Angelos has hired someone who is a GM and his own roadblock at the same time. Granted you get one voice, but the process is still slow. Duquette and Flanagan could at least make a decision quicker than this. I am afraid teams will not want to bother with the Orioles FO again because MacPhail is too darn slow and methodical in his dealings...

How is it a problem? Because he hasn't met your deadline for getting a deal done. It's laughable. Now if both players are on the roster as of OD, I'll be right there with you, criticizing him for not making the moves. If MacPhail gets a better deal than has been reported, would you say his waiting so long was a problem?

Agreed. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same people who are clamoring for AM to get deals done will also be some of the first posters to critize the deals, if we don't get what they beleive is a sufficient return.

I don't think AM is the problem, as SG states. Despite his "supposed" reputation for being very deliberate with trades (which I would suggest is a good quality), he didn't hesitate to trade Tejada, and his short hold out on Traschel proved very fruitful. Personally, I don't want him to rush into a trade that might ultimately prove to be a mistake....and I don't understand why some people here are willing to take whatever is being offered, good or bad. And the bottom line is, we really truly honestly don't know who is being offered....only rumors of rumors.

I don't think AM is the problem, as SG states. Despite his "supposed" reputation for being very deliberate with trades (which I would suggest is a good quality), he didn't hesitate to trade Tejada, and his short hold out on Traschel proved very fruitful. Personally, I don't want him to rush into a trade that might ultimately prove to be a mistake....and I don't understand why some people here are willing to take whatever is being offered, good or bad. And the bottom line is, we really truly honestly don't know who is being offered....only rumors of rumors.

Good post.

True ,but the sames group of players (the ready ones) likely wont be available

at the deadline... You can Kiss Jones & Votto goodbye as they will more than likely be playing for their parent clubs. So it would mean a bigger selection of quanity w/ lesser quality.

at the deadline... You can Kiss Jones & Votto goodbye as they will more than likely be playing for their parent clubs. So it would mean a bigger selection of quanity w/ lesser quality.

I guess it depens on what you consider the deadline. If it is July 31st trade deadline, I agree that is too risky. If it's by OD, I disagree, although I would hope AM's drop dead date is before significantly before OD.

Yes he is known for taking a lot of time with this kind of things. Actually Jim Hendry is kind of similar with the way he goes about his business. I remember a couple of years ago when the cubs got Nomar in a crazy 4 way deal. That deal happened about 1 minute before the 4:00 PM deadline. If you ask me nobody knows what is really going on between these two right now. Similar guys working together means that not much is going to get leaked into the public before anything is official. Both of this guys aren't afraid to wait things out.

That's interesting. Wasn't the Traschel trade done on the last day of the trade deadline on August 31?

I wouldnt be surprised if they wont complete anything until closer to February if a deal does get worked out then.

I think I would tend to disagree with this assumption. If the Mariners or the Reds are in the hunt for a pennant by the end of July, Bedard may be even more valuable to them.

Granted you get one voice, but the process is still slow. Duquette and Flanagan could at least make a decision quicker than this.

This is a joke right? What good are quick decisions if they are the wrong ones?

I am afraid teams will not want to bother with the Orioles FO again because MacPhail is too darn slow and methodical in his dealings...

Teams that decide that they don't want to deal with McPhail are either not that interested in the players the O's have to begin with or they thought they would be able to pawn off trash for a proven player. In this case, so be it, waste someone else's time.

Considering MacPhail is so sloth like in his dealings, this could come back to bite the Orioles for future trades IMO. As somebody pointed out, before Angelos was the roadblock. Now Angelos has hired someone who is a GM and his own roadblock at the same time. Granted you get one voice, but the process is still slow. Duquette and Flanagan could at least make a decision quicker than this. I am afraid teams will not want to bother with the Orioles FO again because MacPhail is too darn slow and methodical in his dealings...

Yup, and we all know Flanaquette made about 15 tremendous trades during their illustrious tenure. I for one am happy that AM isn't allowing the market to push him around. It's the other way around and I'm willing to be patient because his track record with the O's (Tejada, Weiters, Trembley) is promising so far. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

BTW, I don't think Clement is going to be part of a M's trade. It seems like no leaks have really been mentioning him for a while.

Archived