Per ESPN: Orioles need to make a bold statement this offseason...

MemorialStadKid

My friend has the SI insider subscription and I glanced through the article and it had a few really cool suggestions for the Os, but the best one was the idea that we shouldn't be afraid to trade Matt W. in order to get better pieces for the future.

If anyone had the insider sub, please summarize the stuff about the Orioles. It was a very interesting set of ideas.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9785464/mlb-new-york-yankees-three-teams-need-aggressive-offseasons

MSK

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My friend has the SI insider subscription and I glanced through the article and it had a few really cool suggestions for the Os, but the best one was the idea that we shouldn't be afraid to trade Matt W. in order to get better pieces for the future.

If anyone had the insider sub, please summarize the stuff about the Orioles. It was a very interesting set of ideas.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9785464/mlb-new-york-yankees-three-teams-need-aggressive-offseasons

MSK

Any article that suggests Josh Johnson loses me right there.

This is what I hate though...all the other teams that finished around us are going to make moves to improve and we're going to do nothing. All we get is a bargain bin LF at like $3 million and bring back a crappy Scott Feldman. It's depressing. We actually have a window to make deep playoff runs and ownership/the front office is blowing it.

I would love to get Choo and Beltran and trade for Price. I just don't see it.

I would love to get Choo and Beltran and trade for Price. I just don't see it.

I'd just take Beltran as a switch hitter, he saves us having to platoon a DH. It saves us a spot on the roster. I would have preferred they spend the money on pitching, but it seems DD is going the 'grow the arms' route. Or, he's being swayed in that direction.

Trade Matt W. to KC for Butler and prospects.

Go with Clevenger. Sign or promote a backup catcher.

Get Price somehow.

Make an FA bullpen signing.

We're good to go.

MSK

Why would KC want Wieters? They have a better younger catcher in Perez.

Everyone wants to keep up with other teams. Signing a bunch of expensive people does not always work. Ask a Toronto fan how well that played out.

Here is how I see it. We the exception of the Rays, the O's had no trouble beating any AL playoff team in contention right now. They played the Red Sox, Tigers, and A's all very well this year. If the O's were in the playoffs, they would be a very dangerous team.

Even without signing a bunch of people last off season, the team was better statistically than 2012. What was missing is the moxie 2012's team had. In 2012, if the O's were close, the offense would find a way to come through. The bullpen did not blow leads, and the SP was good enough to keep us in games. This year's team was the exact opposite. Seemed like there was always someone finding a way to lose games. Once they got behind, there was no coming back. This team is not in the playoffs because it does not have the talent. They are not in the playoffs because they did not have that emotional "it" to win the games they needed.

Personally, I think the end for 2013 started with Jim Johnson blew that first game against the Padres in May, and went into a funk for several games. I believe they lost something like 6 straight then. Jim is respected in the clubhouse, and I think when he became vulnerable, it had an effect on everyone around him. They ended up playing basically .500 baseball from then out. Looking back, I think what finally broke their back was the 3 straight walkoffs against the D-backs. Emotionally, that is just hard for a team to recover from.

Trade Matt W. to KC for Butler and prospects.

Go with Clevenger. Sign or promote a backup catcher.

Get Price somehow.

Make an FA bullpen signing.

We're good to go.

MSK

Plenty of FA catchers this fall. Hell sign Pierzynski.

Rod Barajas

Henry Blanco

John Buck

Jesus Flores

Ramon Hernandez

Gerald Laird

Brian McCann

Jose Molina

Dioner Navarro

Wil Nieves

Miguel Olivo

Ronny Paulino