If the payroll is $100M max, the Orioles are a small-market team.

skanar

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it's not like we had increased attendance which could be used for more payroll...oh wait, attendance increased 12.5%

But, unlike 2012, no playoff revenue, which was worth about $7 mm. I think the increased attendance is worth a bit more than $7 mm, but not a lot more.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue that the Orioles couldn't or shouldn't be spending more than they have this offseason.

But, unlike 2012, no playoff revenue, which was worth about $7 mm. I think the increased attendance is worth a bit more than $7 mm, but not a lot more.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue that the Orioles couldn't or shouldn't be spending more than they have this offseason.

And IF they go to $100M, that's $8M more than 2013. Based on average ticket price last reported at $23.89, the added attendance was $6M but concessions etc. for same would easily cover the $8M.

And IF they go to $100M, that's $8M more than 2013. Based on average ticket price last reported at $23.89, the added attendance was $6M but concessions etc. for same would easily cover the $8M.

I expect you are right. I've tried to figure out what the Orioles make off concessions (profit, not revenue), but haven't had much luck. Here's a report that says the average ticket is $22.06 and the average concession revenue is $5.94. http://www.camdenchat.com/2013/12/9/5186010/orioles-ticket-price-increase-revenue-payroll-2014 That seems awfully low to me, unless it is net revenue after paying the concessionaire.

I expect you are right. I've tried to figure out what the Orioles make off concessions (profit, not revenue), but haven't had much luck. Here's a report that says the average ticket is $22.06 and the average concession revenue is $5.94. http://www.camdenchat.com/2013/12/9/5186010/orioles-ticket-price-increase-revenue-payroll-2014 That seems awfully low to me, unless it is net revenue after paying the concessionaire.

I did find this point, and it talks about what they pay back to the Maryland Stadium Authority:

Rent for the park equals 7 percent of net admissions revenues plus $5,000 for each special game ? postseason, All-Star or exhibition games ? played at Camden Yards. On top of this base is added: less than 10 percent of concessions, 50 percent of the Orioles? parking receipts, 25 percent of the advertising revenues and 7-to-10 percent of suite and club-level admissions.

http://bmore.jschool.umd.edu/summer11/?p=65

Current estimated payrolls......

1. Los Angeles Dodgers - 215.9

2. New York Yankees - 195.5

3. Boston Red Sox - 165.7

4. Detroit Tigers - 161

5. Philadelphia Phillies - 159.5

6. San Francisco Giants - 154

7. Los Angeles Angels - 147.3

8. Toronto Blue Jays - 134.8

9. Washington Nationals - 130.3

10. Texas Rangers - 129.8

11. St Louis Cardinals - 108.7

12. Arizona Diamondbacks - 108.7

13. Cincinnati - 105.5

14. Milwaukee Brewers - 98.7

15. Kansas City Royals - 91

16. Atlanta Braves - 90.9

17. Colorado Rockies - 90.8

18. Seattle Mariners - 89.4

19. Chicago White Sox - 85.9

20. New York Mets - 84.9

21. Chicago Cubs - 83.8

22. Baltimore Orioles - 82.8

23. Cleveland Indians - 82.7

24. Minnesota Twins - 82.5

25. San Diego Padres - 81.1

26. Oakland Athletic - 78.4

27. Tampa Bay Rays - 72.2

28. Pittsburgh Pirates - 70

29. Miami Marlins - 40.1

30. Houston Astros - 46.5

100m is nothing these days. And we aren't even close. Just look at those teams around us, and the ones ahead of us and ask yourself what in the world is going on. It is disgusting.

Baltimore is a mid-market team trying to play down this year to small-market prices. They're in a market (DC-Baltimore) that if combined would be the 4th biggest market in the US (LA, NYC, Chicago). Just trying to put things in perspective.

Agreed, and unfortunately, there is only 1 answer as to way, and that is the owner decided he needs more money in his pocket.

I don't expect them to try and be the 4th biggest market, that is a pipe dream and forget about, I got more of a chance of scoring with Kate Upton, then for this to happen.

This club could acknowledge they are mid-market, and spend like they are mid-market, and still make money. This is the point that curdles my blood.

Current estimated payrolls......

19. Chicago White Sox - 85.9

20. New York Mets - 84.9

21. Chicago Cubs - 83.8

22. Baltimore Orioles - 82.8

100m is nothing these days. And we aren't even close. Just look at those teams around us, and the ones ahead of us and ask yourself what in the world is going on. It is disgusting.

Well, it is interesting to see us in the same ballpark with the Mets and the Chicago teams. Those teams certainly play in big markets, which, like ours, are shared with another team.

That said, Duquette was quite clear that he expected our payroll to be higher than last year's. I'm still waiting to see if that happens, and more importantly, just how it happens. At the end of the day, what I want is a good baseball team that is built to remain good for the long term. Payroll increases are a means to improve the team, not an end unto themselves. They can be counterprodutive if the team locks into long term deals with mediocre players and is tied up in the future. So, how they reach their payroll number is just as important as what that number is.

Baltimore is a mid-market team trying to play down this year to small-market prices. They're in a market (DC-Baltimore) that if combined would be the 4th biggest market in the US (LA, NYC, Chicago). Just trying to put things in perspective.

There is nothing "mid market" about owning the 7th most valuable franchise overall, and the 4th largest RSN. Nothing at all.

We are so far away from what we could be spending it isn't even funny. Most think that if we get to 100m we are "right where we should be" but that is complete nonsense. But the warehouse has been conditioning the fanbase for some time and it has been working. Now even if they do get near a 100m everyone will think that the owner is a great guy and he finally opened his checkbook, when in reality he is still not spending anywhere close to what we could.

The homers will trumpet a 95m payroll like it is some great achievement, when the Brewers for heaven's sake are spending 100m. When Cincinnatti is spending 106m. When the Royals are spending 92m. We are now a small market operation, with money flooding through the doors from MASN and MLB. For years now.

The Orioles raised ticket prices this year. The 13 game plan went up a little over $40.00 depending on your plan. This is also a revenue increase.

Nest year,if Hardy and Markakis come off the books ,the Orioles can knock another 25 million or so off of their payroll.

Well, it is interesting to see us in the same ballpark with the Mets and the Chicago teams. Those teams certainly play in big markets, which, like ours, are shared with another team.

That said, Duquette was quite clear that he expected our payroll to be higher than last year's. I'm still waiting to see if that happens, and more importantly, just how it happens. At the end of the day, what I want is a good baseball team that is built to remain good for the long term. Payroll increases are a means to improve the team, not an end unto themselves. They can be counterproductive if the team locks into long term deals with mediocre players and is tied up in the future. So, how they reach their payroll number is just as important as what that number is.

It is funny that those are the two teams you chose to pick out. Funny indeed, but not surprising in the least.

Spin, spin, spin away.

It is funny that those are the two teams you chose to pick out. Funny indeed, but not surprising in the least.

Spin, spin, spin away.

They happen to be the three (not two) teams immediately above us on the list. And I'm not spinning at all. I am not happy with where things stand.

That said, Duquette was quite clear that he expected our payroll to be higher than last year's. I'm still waiting to see if that happens, and more importantly, just how it happens. At the end of the day, what I want is a good baseball team that is built to remain good for the long term. Payroll increases are a means to improve the team, not an end unto themselves. They can be counterprodutive if the team locks into long term deals with mediocre players and is tied up in the future. So, how they reach their payroll number is just as important as what that number is.

The Mets and the CHI teams are rebuilding so it stands to reason theyt wouldn't be adding a lot of high priced items. What's our excuse. With all the spending SEA has done I am amazed at how low their payroll is. Word is they are after Cruz and Santana as well.

Is this sad or funny? The Rays pitching staff also has a higher payroll then the O's'

By comparison, the Orioles' entire projected starting rotation — Chris Tillman, Wei-Yin Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, Bud Norris and any combination of a fifth starter from Kevin Gausman, Zach Britton or Steve Johnson — is set to make less money than former Orioles starter Scott Feldman, who will earn $12 million this year in the first year of a three-year, $30 million deal with the Houston Astros.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-02-07/sports/bal-bronson-arroyo-signs-twoyear-deal-with-arizona-diamondbacks-20140207_1_zach-britton-kevin-gausman-wei-yin-chen

Archived