Jen Royle: Orioles open to trading Valencia ( Traded to KC for OF David Lough)

Barnaby Graves

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you were a real hipster, you'd be down with Nickleback since it'd go against the grain and be the ironic thing to do.

The more I read about this guy, the more excited I get. Cheaper, younger version of McClouth.

There is no level of irony that makes Nickleback okay. none, zero.

I can't imagine how anyone can evaluate this trade as anything but a steal for the Orioles if they are simply evaluating the player's traded for each other. I'm trying not to bust on folks, but some of the comments here are priceless. I especially love the folks who hated it and then changed their mind (as they read the thread basically and realized that name recognition isn't a real solid evaluation criteria). If I was a Royals' fan, I'd be livid about this trade. Valencia did a fine job for us but he is waiver wire material and this guy is cheap and finished 8th in ROY voting last year. He'll outperform Nate next year w/o a doubt for a fraction of the cost. Huge get by DD. I have no idea what KC is thinking.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=281&f=2054&t=12490596 Royal fans love it. Lough wasn't making the team in 2014.

Assuming Lough is our starting LF, and is essentially a younger, cheaper McLouth under team control, are we satisfied with our "solution?" We know marbles are a limited quantity in Baltimore, so a big money player is out of the question. Don't get me wrong, at face value it looks like Duquette made a good trade here, and I hope this kid does well, but how we do hope to improve if all we may be doing is swapping out interchangeable parts?

It just seems like we're running to stand still. Thoughts?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sA00KCSDMY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't imagine how anyone can evaluate this trade as anything but a steal for the Orioles if they are simply evaluating the player's traded for each other. I'm trying not to bust on folks, but some of the comments here are priceless. I especially love the folks who hated it and then changed their mind (as they read the thread basically and realized that name recognition isn't a real solid evaluation criteria). If I was a Royals' fan, I'd be livid about this trade. Valencia did a fine job for us but he is waiver wire material and this guy is cheap and finished 8th in ROY voting last year. He'll outperform Nate next year w/o a doubt for a fraction of the cost. Huge get by DD. I have no idea what KC is thinking.

9391680-a-matrix-illustrating-the-core-principle-of-growing-your-investments--buying-low-and-selling-high.jpg

Oh, thank God you're here!

Assuming Lough is our starting LF, and is essentially a younger, cheaper McLouth under team control, are we satisfied with our "solution?" We know marbles are a limited quantity in Baltimore, so a big money player is out of the question. Don't get me wrong, at face value it looks like Duquette made a good trade here, and I hope this kid does well, but how we do hope to improve if all we may be doing is swapping out interchangeable parts?

It just seems like we're running to stand still. Thoughts?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sA00KCSDMY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know we can spend much more. It's just. That we won't.

I'm just satisfied to win a trade.

So.... based on a cursory numbers check, Lough is an excellent defensive outfielder with very average to slightly below average offensive skills.

Valencia for 5+ years of this guy? That's a no brainer. He's not a huge offensive difference maker but he might be a huge defensive difference maker. It's clearly a "won" trade, but it's missing major sexy points, which most people are after.

So.... based on a cursory numbers check, Lough is an excellent defensive outfielder with very average to slightly below average offensive skills.

Valencia for 5+ years of this guy? That's a no brainer. He's not a huge offensive difference maker but he might be a huge defensive difference maker.

I had him on my fantasy team. And I won my league.

Not all year. But for a while.

A lot like Nate.

I read all four pages. Your summary is not nearly accurate. The reaction is mixed at best and most of the focus is on Moustakas and Valencia's ability to play 3rd. In 4 pages, not a single person noticed that Valencia is not really a viable defensive option at 3rd. It wasn't particularly in depth stuff. The couple more in depth posts didn't like the trade at all. Whatever, I know you've got an agenda.

They don't realize they are losing Butler yet. Wait for the shoe. Valencia is not for Moustakas. He's for Billy.

Archived