Jen Royle: Orioles open to trading Valencia ( Traded to KC for OF David Lough)

Barnaby Graves

I think it's much too early to declare him a "nice improvement" over McLouth- he hasn't even played a full season yet and he seems to have some plate discipline issues that are a bit worrisome(10 BBs in 400 MLB PAs and pedestrian minor league walk numbers).

Looking at the two players in a vacuum. McLouth will be 32 next season and Lough 28. While McLouth is not a liability in the field, he's below average overall - Lough is a plus defender at all 3 outfield positions. McLouth is definitely the better offensive player of the two, but only slightly. He's also very nearly a platoon player himself, batting .209/.283/.357 against LHP in 2013. I'd bet on Lough's defense to make him a difference maker in our outfield.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the two players in a vacuum. McLouth will be 32 next season and Lough 28. While McLouth is not a liability in the field, he's below average overall - Lough is a plus defender at all 3 outfield positions. McLouth is definitely the better offensive player of the two, but only slightly. He's also very nearly a platoon player himself, batting .209/.283/.357 against LHP in 2013. I'd bet on Lough's defense to make him a difference maker in our outfield.

My concern with his plate discipline is how he handles it once pitchers make adjustments against him. Can he keep up? We may have started to get an answer already- in an almost equal amount of PAs last year, he OPS'd .757 in the first half but only .685 in the second half.

If you were a real hipster, you'd be down with Nickleback since it'd go against the grain and be the ironic thing to do.

The more I read about this guy, the more excited I get. Cheaper, younger version of McClouth.

I don't think anyone would accuse me of being a hipster. :) But I like Nickleback. A good bit. They rock the house sometimes!

Looks like the O's traded a 29 yr old RH DH for a 28 year old 4th OFers. That is not a bad trade. Its a re-alignment.

Lough can really go get the ball. That's good. Peguero is also a plus fielder. The two of them can fight over at bats in left. Lough hits for average but has not yet been able to put a good OBP in the majors. That probably makes him hitting 9th. Peguero projects to hit ninth also. Peguero in 25 which means he has more time to develop than Lough. Both are out for options.

Reimold will probably have a tough time keeping up with these two defensively. If Reimold is healthy he can hit. Probably more of a DH. But the O's can't count of him be healthy so its likely that they add another DH this off season. Pearce, Monell and Almanez are also DH types although none of them are a sure thing.

By filling LF with Lough and Peguero the O's have gone cheap at the LF position which will allow them to spend for a 5th starter.

McLouth is probably a better player, although narrowly. His second half collapse was worrisome. At the price/years of control, and considering the limited platoon splits, I think Lough is a more appealing asset to have.

Agreed -- if you spend the money saved to improve the team elsewhere.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o0cFFNsuFkQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He killed this ball.

I think this is a fantastic move. I don't really see the arguments against it. Valencia is a nice player, but as others have pointed out his skill set is really rather limited. I am shocked KC dealt Lough for him.

Can we please, please sign a serviceable starting pitcher now?

I remember Lough very well from that July series in KC last summer. I had never heard of him but he stood out as a high-energy player. Love the glove, especially. I felt that McLouth was ordinary at best out in LF last year. But like others, I still think we need some real pop at DH. I don't think Morales is worth a draft pick.

Very, very happy with this move. We get a great young fielder who plays average offense for the league minimum. Better yet, DD now has 12-20MM (depending on how many "marbles" he has) to sign a SP and figure out the DH spot. That's great!

If we can somehow sign a good SP and a DH, I'll be ecstatic.

Good job by DD here, I rather have Lough also. I attended our July series in KC and he was very pesky, a tough out. Regarding that with that 20M, I am still skeptical it will be spent. And he won't spend it one place if he does spend it. Value more important to DD than anything else.

I can't imagine how anyone can evaluate this trade as anything but a steal for the Orioles if they are simply evaluating the player's traded for each other. I'm trying not to bust on folks, but some of the comments here are priceless. I especially love the folks who hated it and then changed their mind (as they read the thread basically and realized that name recognition isn't a real solid evaluation criteria). If I was a Royals' fan, I'd be livid about this trade. Valencia did a fine job for us but he is waiver wire material and this guy is cheap and finished 8th in ROY voting last year. He'll outperform Nate next year w/o a doubt for a fraction of the cost. Huge get by DD. I have no idea what KC is thinking.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to vatech1994 again.

I can't imagine how anyone can evaluate this trade as anything but a steal for the Orioles if they are simply evaluating the player's traded for each other. I'm trying not to bust on folks, but some of the comments here are priceless. I especially love the folks who hated it and then changed their mind (as they read the thread basically and realized that name recognition isn't a real solid evaluation criteria). If I was a Royals' fan, I'd be livid about this trade. Valencia did a fine job for us but he is waiver wire material and this guy is cheap and finished 8th in ROY voting last year. He'll outperform Nate next year w/o a doubt for a fraction of the cost. Huge get by DD. I have no idea what KC is thinking.

Are we talking about the same David Lough? Zero power for a LF and 27 year old rookie? A fair trade yes! A steal nah!

Are we talking about the same David Lough? Zero power for a LF and 27 year old rookie? A fair trade yes! A steal nah!

Also plate discipline issues out the wazoo- 10 BBs in 400 MLB PAs, and mediocre walk numbers in the minors. I find that worrisome since he's apparently going to be the everyday LF per DD's "he replaces McLouth" remarks.

Archived