Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would rather be positive than be a negative nanny.

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”

I am not sure what you are getting at, but I watch the Orioles on the mlb package almost every day that they are on. Unless that was directed at the poster's comment that I quoted which was "Originally Posted by SilentJames View Post

He also led the league in saves as well as appearances. If the Orioles' offense had done a slightly better job JJ might not have been as exposed as he was."

At any rate, I was not comfortable at all when JJ came in to close games.

See the thing was EVERYONE was comfortable when he didn't blow a save in, how many consecutive regular season games?

JJ had a bad season, but the the thing is this: when you save over 100 games in two years, you are getting a lot of use. And when you are getting a lot of use, people start to see you a lot. And when they see you a lot any shortcomings in your game eventually get exposed.

I do not deny that JJ led the league in blown saves, he also led the league in saves and appearances. If the Orioles offense could have given him a few more nights off, maybe he wouldn't have had a couple of those blown saves. If the Orioles starters could have gone deeper into the game every once and awhile perhaps the pen would not have been so over-exposed in general.

There are a lot of things that went wrong with JJ last year, but to dismiss him outright because of the blown saves is essentially BS.

I am not sure what you are getting at, but I watch the Orioles on the mlb package almost every day that they are on. Unless that was directed at the poster's comment that I quoted which was "Originally Posted by SilentJames View Post

He also led the league in saves as well as appearances. If the Orioles' offense had done a slightly better job JJ might not have been as exposed as he was."

At any rate, I was not comfortable at all when JJ came in to close games.

If you think JJ was a great closer last year, I don't know what to say. He had been one of the the best in MLB prior to last year, but not effective last year. The losses and blown saves were awful. A better closer or less use by Buck and we make the playoffs last season.

?Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn?t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I?m going to be happy in it.?

Good attitude to have!

[video=youtube;yv-Fk1PwVeU]

I am not sure that Balfour is better than Jim Johnson.

You have to figure Oakland big ball park into the equation.

Away from home for the last two years, here are Balfour's numbers.

Record 0-5, ERA 3.99, IP 58.2, ER 26, Saves 31, Save Opps 34, WHIP 1.328

The 31 for34 save Opportunties is good. 91%.

However, Camden Yards as his home park could effect things.

One thing for sure. I don't want Perez or Axford.

Some of these numbers are cause for concern even if it is merely a slight concern and playing home games in Oak is an added bonus. Nevertheless Balfour is a good closer. I do expect JJ to have a nice year pitching in Oak. We tend to overlook park effect and how it plays into player strength and weaknesses.

I am not sure that Balfour is better than Jim Johnson.

You have to figure Oakland big ball park into the equation.

Away from home for the last two years, here are Balfour's numbers.

Record 0-5, ERA 3.99, IP 58.2, ER 26, Saves 31, Save Opps 34, WHIP 1.328

The 31 for34 save Opportunties is good. 91%.

However, Camden Yards as his home park could effect things.

One thing for sure. I don't want Perez or Axford.

Balfour's career numbers at OPACY. 17 Games. 2 PA. 1 HR. .131/.264/.230/.493 21/11 K/BB.

Archived