Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of Cruz, I would rather have had a McLouth/Rajai Davis platoon, the $40 million dollars saved that could be used for pitching, and the first round draft pick, thank you very much. And any GM with half a brain would agree with that logic, or at least I would hope so.

So, you're saying Cruz goes to Philly?

DD: "Mr. Cruz, we had to take the entire year-to-date production output of a large glass factory in northern Pennsylvania to make it possible, but the Baltimore Orioles are prepared to offer you 60 million actual marbles over 4 years if you'll play for us. What do you say?"

I think it tells you how clean baseball really is. It's not a big deal. Peralta, Colon, Cabrera, Cruz they all get busted in contract years and still get paid. Wake up.

Baltimore is believed to be willing to make Cruz a four-year offer in the range of the $60-million deal Curtis Granderson got from the Mets, perhaps a bit higher. It isn't known what the offer is to Balfour, but various reports have suggested a two- or three-year deal is possible.

Cruz has drawn interest from the Mariners, his old Rangers teams and some others. There was a report Cruz turned down $75 million from the Mariners, and while that couldn't be confirmed, word out of Seattle is that a deal with Cruz isn't necessarily likely at this time. Texas seems more focused on another free-agent outfielder, Shin-Soo Choo at the moment.

source - Jon Heyman

IMO another 5 million a year is worth it when you're talking Cruz or Choo. Choo gives us a leadoff hitter who gets on base at a high rate. We already have plenty of guys who can hit the ball "where the grass doesn't grow."

The offer to Axford is interesting. I don't think the O's want both Axford and Belfour. I'm wondering if the offer to Axford is an effort to push Belfour to sign the deal.

I wonder if it bothers Heyman that he has no integrity at all, and is just a schill for agents?

You seem to know a lot about WAR. In your opinion, who are the most valuable OF options and starting pitching options available? Who do you like?

Archived