MLB and Nippon have new posting system: Tanaka is now an option

srock

I don't disagree. Put the funds into a player that doesn't require a posting fee. No one that's come out of Japan, sans Ichiro in his first handful of seasons (before his age caught up to him a bit) has been a guy that couldn't be replaced by other players on the market.

Your comment makes no sense.. Are you against free agency? This is what the new rules are for posted players. Free agency no difference.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is absolutely zero reason not to bid on this guy with the new rules. You only pay the posting fee if you sign the guy. If you negoiate and see he is paid too much you back off but to not attempt to sign someone of this quality is silly. The new rules are great for everyone except the player. It is just like he is a free agent but 20 million dollars of his contract goes to his old team.

I have no idea why Angelos could be opposed to the posting system. Does he not want agents to be paid either?

I disagree with you here. I think the new rules are better for the player. The only party it is possibly worse for is the Japanese team, since the posting fee wasn't limited previously. The MLB team takes the posting fee into consideration in their negotiations with the player. Since the fee is now limited to $20 million, the player can see more of the money that the MLB team is prepared to pay in total.

But if you sign Tanaka, you pay the posting fee.

Well you put that into the cost of your bid. Teams aren't going to pay more total money because of the posting fee. They are going to say he is worth this much to my club over this many years. So the Japanese team gets part of that. Do you go to Subway and care that the guy who owns the store gets a part of the money and the Subway corporation gets the rest? No you just care what the total price of the sub.

I disagree with you here. I think the new rules are better for the player. The only party it is possibly worse for is the Japanese team, since the posting fee wasn't limited previously. The MLB team takes the posting fee into consideration in their negotiations with the player. Since the fee is now limited to $20 million, the player can see more of the money that the MLB team is prepared to pay in total.

Well plus now there is going to be real bidding on the salary of the player. You are right in this case. But getting 20 million for a player to play for another team still seems like a plus for the Japanese teams. I don't how much total payrolls are there but it would seem that this would pay for a big chunk of salaries.

But if you sign Tanaka, you pay the posting fee.

The signing MLB team is naturally going to take the posting fee into consideration when negotiating with the player, as they have always done. Previously, if a team was willing to spend a total of $80 million for 4 years, and they won the bidding with a posting fee of $33 million, they would max out their offer to the player at $47 million for 4 years. Now, they would still have the same max total in mind, but since the Japanese team can only receive $20 million, the player can be offered $60 million for the 4 years.

Tanaka's team is not interested in posting him, because they don't see the benefit in only $20M. They would prefer to just keep him.

The owner is supposed to be stupid wealthy.

If they don't post him this year they will next, 20 million is a lot better then the nothing he will bring as a FA.

There is certainly some moral and ethical reasons for not paying a "posting fee" as there is in the drafting system and the FA system. I know this might be for the good of the game and create some sort of international baseball harmony.

How long does a team "own" or "own rights" to a player in Japan, and why is it okay for an owner to sell a human for monetary gain?

Trades and cash considerations are a norm in the American system. I don't think MLB or the Players' Association would allow, for example, PA to sell, let's say Adam Jones to another team in MLB or elsewhere for cash.

I understand there is freedom of choice to an extent for the player, but lining an owner's pocket in a system that players initially (drafted) have no choice other than not play just doesn't seem right.

There is certainly some moral and ethical reasons for not paying a "posting fee" as there is in the drafting system and the FA system. I know this might be for the good of the game and create some sort of international baseball harmony.

How long does a team "own" or "own rights" to a player in Japan, and why is it okay for an owner to sell a human for monetary gain?

Trades and cash considerations are a norm in the American system. I don't think MLB or the Players' Association would allow, for example, PA to sell, let's say Adam Jones to another team in MLB or elsewhere for cash.

I understand there is freedom of choice to an extent for the player, but lining an owner's pocket in a system that players initially (drafted) have no choice other than not play just doesn't seem right.

In every case that I am aware of, the Japanese player involved wanted to come to the major leagues. Has any player ever been "sold" and forced to move half-way around the world against their will? I think not. I think you are painting an inaccurate picture here. The posting system enables players that want to come and play in the majors to do so earlier than they could otherwise, since they are under contract to the Japanese team.

In every case that I am aware of, the Japanese player involved wanted to come to the major leagues. Has any player ever been "sold" and forced to move half-way around the world against their will? I think not. I think you are painting an inaccurate picture here. The posting system enables players that want to come and play in the majors to do so earlier than they could otherwise, since they are under contract to the Japanese team.

If the player wanted to stay in Japan then he would just refuse to come to terms with the MLB team. That would cause his rights to revert back to his Japanese team.

The point is, MLB would never allow a player to be sold to another team for 20 million dollars. MLB can do without players from Japan. They should be included in the draft when they are free from their Japanese team. I agree with PA's position on this. As I have said before, I cannot believe the owners agree with ANY posting system and even more so now that most of the hyped players have not panned out.

Archived