What is the "right offer"?

Sports Guy

Could be but I am basing everything on AM asking for too much and I think he is, based on what i have heard privately and what has been said nationally.

I go back to what Tim K said around a month ago...He said he didn't think the Orioles really wanted to deal bedard based on what they are asking for.

I also don't think AM was willing to do a Dodgers deal with Kemp and/or Kershaw in it....That is a mistake as well.

I think a lot of things could have been done by now but he wants too much.

If he wasn't willing to do a deal with Kemp or Kershaw in it how can you say he was asking too much? What was more value from the Dodgers than those two?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, a poster in the MLBTradeRumors forum had this to say...

"According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago, the Cubs and Orioles are set to continue talks this week. He didn't go in to any detail, just said the talks are NOT DEAD and they will be talking again this week."

Looks like the proposal might not be as dead as some people think it is...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/01/wittenmyer-on-b.html#comments

Could be but I am basing everything on AM asking for too much and I think he is, based on what i have heard privately and what has been said nationally.

I go back to what Tim K said around a month ago...He said he didn't think the Orioles really wanted to deal bedard based on what they are asking for.

I also don't think AM was willing to do a Dodgers deal with Kemp and/or Kershaw in it....That is a mistake as well.

I think a lot of things could have been done by now but he wants too much.

This is so vague and genaral, as to be meaningless. One could just as well say that few things coud have been gotten done because other teams were offering too little. As best as I know MacP has asked for Bruce or Cuetto/Votto from the Reds, Jones from the M's. and Kershaw/Kemp from the LAD's. You really think that is asking for too much?

This is so vague and genaral, as to be meaningless. One could just as well say that few things coud have been gotten done because other teams were offering too little. As best as I know MacP has asked for Bruce or Cuetto/Votto from the Reds, Jones from the M's. and Kershaw/Kemp from the LAD's. You really think that is asking for too much?

I think expecting Kemp and Kershaw may have been too much.

And now, the other deals i don't think is asking for too much at all, at least not to start.

I think we should be getting 2 blue chip level guys + one or 2 other solid players from these teams.

The question is, what ELSE is he asking for? Demanding a 4th player or requesting 3-4 blue chip guys may be too much.

The market sets Erik Bedard's value, not an internal decision at The Warehouse.

Perhaps the Baltimore Orioles have not received the "right" offer, but I'm confident the Orioles have received a "reasonable" offer.

Twenty-nine MLB teams could improve their starting rotations with the addition of Erik Bedard if Bedard is among baseball's best starters (and I acknowledge that Bedard was among baseball's best until September 9 last season).

Of those 29 teams, probably some undervalued Bedard, some accurately valued Bedard and some overvalued Bedard.

I am surprised the Orioles have not had more serious suitors for Bedard's services. I suspect that Baltimore scared off many teams with high initial demands.

However, a "reasonable" offer most likely emerged from that market of 29 teams.

I respect the right of Andy MacPhail and the Orioles to reject an offer for any reason or for no reason at all, even if that offer is "reasonable." I understand that an offer must be "right" from Baltimore's perspective.

I think expecting Kemp and Kershaw may have been too much.

And now, the other deals i don't think is asking for too much at all, at least not to start.

I think we should be getting 2 blue chip level guys + one or 2 other solid players from these teams.

The question is, what ELSE is he asking for? Demanding a 4th player or requesting 3-4 blue chip guys may be too much.

What do you base this on? I think he was insisting on one or the other but I don't recall it ever be a Matter of both or nothing. Frankly I don't see how your position on these trades is much different form his would appear to be. You would hold out for more in most cases as would he and yet you criticise him for asking too much. And really this is all silly because we have no idea what has been offered and what has been rejected. Until we do we are all just basically blowing it out of out respective servants entrances.:D

Just an FYI, im done posting on this site, and will likely keep things with the insiders to a PM. Sorry if I haven't been right, but it's called a source. I had about 10 PM's telling me how good I am the day Tony had it on his front page, and Belkast made a thread, and th eother sources agreed.

Sorry to see you go. I liked the insight your posts gave us and I valued that information every bit as much as I valued the other insiders. I think that many of these posters are immature and narrow minded and unfortunately can type their moronic opinions far too easily.

If you think getting Kemp and Kershaw was reasonable you have either overvalued Bedard or undervalued the other 2. Kershaw is the top lefty prospect in baseball and one of the top 3 pitching prospects in general. Kemp is not only their everyday starting right fielder but also is batting 3rd thru 5th in many projected lineups. They want to win now but relinquish one of their cleanup hitters in an already powerless offense?

Kershaw + non ML Ready prospects seems more reasonable, as subtracting from a point of weakness does not.

"According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago, the Cubs and Orioles are set to continue talks this week. He didn't go in to any detail, just said the talks are NOT DEAD and they will be talking again this week."

This is the reason you don't start a thread saying that talks are dead. You start the post saying you've heard they are dead.

Ok, im sorry! Don't be a ****ing jackass about it.

Didn't mean for it to sound like that, I'm sorry also... I didn't see anything wrong with your post other than how it was worded. I don't want you to stop posting, I value your information, just want you to word it in such a way as to insulate you from critisism. I was trying to help... I'll try harder next time... :)

Levine has been doing better the last couple years, but before that he was considered an absolute joke. And he's still slow on the take.

Give it a 50% chance that report is accurate as of the time he aired it.

Just an FYI, im done posting on this site, and will likely keep things with the insiders to a PM. Sorry if I haven't been right, but it's called a source. I had about 10 PM's telling me how good I am the day Tony had it on his front page, and Belkast made a thread, and th eother sources agreed.

Please, by all means, keep you inside information to yourself and private messages. Thanks!

Archived