Yoon Suk-min pitches for O's and Giants

Can_of_corn

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a college student with connections that has been name dropped by both Rosenthal and Heyman. We may not like him, but if we're going to be posting the asinine tweets of "respected journalists" like those two, then we might as well lump him in there, too. They all have about the same chance of hitting on a scoop.
They have actual industry sources. Red Lobster Rickli has twitter and a high-speed internet connection.

Say what you want, man. Neither of us has tangible proof either way. But if Kenny Rosenthal wants to tweet Rickli's name out to the world, then by definition, we should be posting what the guy says. Period. It's really just that simple. Until proven otherwise.

I love that the OH wants to take time out of it collective day to pile on a guy that was banned when meanwhile the OH has its own issues to deal with. If he's banned, then the OH felt he should be banned and he was banned. Great, I support that. Now that he's banned, though, it doesn't mean we can't post about him. It just means he can't come here and post.

But, Ricki has had his picture taken with Rosenthal and was at the same winter meetings. Not many of us can claim the same.

Let me add a few boring linguistic notes here.

The actual pronunciation of his given name is "Song-min," if you pronounce the "o" as in "lost." Romanizing the first vowel as "u" is unusual and misleading. As for the romanization's "k," it is meant to represent the original Korean's "ㄱ," which is pronounced like a "k" in front of certain consonants, but like "ng" in front of "m" (ㅁ) or "n" (ㄴ), as in the present instance.

Pronouncing it like an unmodified "k" would be as ignorant as pronouncing the "ch" in Chris as in "cheesy," the "gh" in Lough as in "laugh," or the "j" in Pujols as in "jerk."

Bottom line, how do you pronounce his name phonetically, and in what order? I've seen several variations.

Say what you want, man. Neither of us has tangible proof either way. But if Kenny Rosenthal wants to tweet Rickli's name out to the world, then by definition, we should be posting what the guy says. Period. It's really just that simple. Until proven otherwise.

I love that the OH wants to take time out of it collective day to pile on a guy that was banned when meanwhile the OH has its own issues to deal with. If he's banned, then the OH felt he should be banned and he was banned. Great, I support that. Now that he's banned, though, it doesn't mean we can't post about him. It just means he can't come here and post.

Its much more than a guy who was banned and you know that. He made multiple accounts, completely made up stories like recording skype conversations with Jones, and throws whatever at the wall and hopes something sticks. Why are you defending this stunod?

Because maybe he got his act together since then. And maybe if Ken Rosenthal believes he's an up-and-coming mini-Ken Rosenthal, then we should take his word for it. And maybe that says something about the Ken Rosenthals of the world. I don't know. I just know he was banned and that's all that the OH can do about it. I still enjoy reading his tweets during the offseason, and people should be able to post about him if they want to.

Meanwhile, a Sun-board-worthy, blatantly-against-board-rules Roberts hate thread stays open all day, accumulating pages and pages of garbage before finally being locked. Why don't we start focusing on things that are breaking board rules rather than on people embedding a few tweets from a guy who was already banned (and rightly so, no disagreement there)?

You know what? I'm speaking for myself, and not presuming to do so for the other moderators. It stayed open for a while because I had hoped people would get tired of it and let it drop to the bottom. Moreover, I thought this board could moderate itself as it has done in the past. My bad.

If you feel the need to question how I'm doing in said role, feel free to PM me.

Bottom line, how do you pronounce his name phonetically, and in what order? I've seen several variations.

Hmm, the bottom line about the pronunciation is exactly what I gave--to repeat: Song-min, where the "o" is pronounced almost like it is in "lost." As for his family name, I haven't seen any confusion about how that is pronounced: "Yoon," rhyming with, for example, "platoon." Another normal romanization would be "Yun," pronounced identically, on the model of words like "tune."

As for the order, in E. Asian languages the family name comes first. So in the S. Korean media, his name would be given (in Korean) as "Yoon Song-min" (윤석민). But since the order is the opposite in English, E. Asian names are usually given over here in a sequence that in the original languages sounds rather bizarre. Thus, Wei-yin Chen (instead of Chen Wei-yin), Ichiro Suzuki (instead of Suzuki Ichiro), Chan-ho Park (instead of Park Chan-ho). If the pitcher formerly known as "Yoon Suk-min" actually makes it over here, he would thus be rechristened "Suk-min Yoon" and fans and broadcasters would have to learn to pronounce his first name as if it were spelled "Song-min [or Seong-min]." I guess in a U.S. ballclub environment, you want to hail players by their first names, which would encourage a given-name-first order, but it's not how it's done in China, Japan, Taiwan, or S. Korea.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just spoke with Scott Boras. He says he is "very close" to deals for Oliver Perez, Jeff Baker, K-Rod and Suk-min Yoon. <a href="https://twitter.com/FOXSports1">@FOXSports1</a></p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">February 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1ne2PNX_zVY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not to bad.

Its much more than a guy who was banned and you know that. He made multiple accounts, completely made up stories like recording skype conversations with Jones, and throws whatever at the wall and hopes something sticks. Why are you defending this stunod?

I would take this position on future use of his twitter account here. That's what I say. There is a reason he is not here. Please go along with me on this. I ask so little.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>According to source, Orioles have made an offer to Korean RHP Suk-min Yoon. He's received offers from multiple teams. <a href="http://t.co/qayEikdegw">http://t.co/qayEikdegw</a></p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">February 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived