Bud Norris drawing trade interest

fearthenoodle

Link

Norris is drawing trade interest from a couple of National League teams, according to sources. If the Orioles actually sign another starter - and executive vice president Dan Duquette hasn't closed shop - Norris could be squeezed out of the rotation.

Rival executives know it and are monitoring what's happening in Sarasota - home of the spring training press conference.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder if we could trade and get our competitive balance pick back, that would be a boost in the draft.

Can't trade those picks until the season starts, FYI.

Also (And I've been meaning to ask someone about this), I am not sure what would happen if we traded for a competitive balance pick early on in April. My suspicion is that if the pick is higher than our original 2nd rounder, we would LOSE that pick due to signing Cruz but would regain our 2nd round pick.

Wonder if we could trade and get our competitive balance pick back, that would be a boost in the draft.

I have a feeling that is what Dan is trying to do. We traded 2 players + a pick for Norris. I think if Dan can get 1 good player/prospect + a pick he will make that trade (obviously depending on who the player is). Gausman will be in the rotation at some point this year, and while I would rather have Norris in the bullpen for better depth, it is more of a luxury at this point with the signing of Yoon and Jimenez (plus ERod, Bundy, Berry, etc. hopefully knocking on the door.

I think it wOuld be a mistake to trade him prior to seeing him pitch while healthy at the beginning of the season. He's got a great chance to improve his value and we can move him AFTER Gausman forces his way into the rotation.

Great post, completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The O's need the starter depth. I can't see them trading Norris even if Gausman wins the 5th starter role. One injury and the O's are in trouble. Yoon is a complete unknown at this point.

The only way I see a Norris trade is if the O's acquire another starter.

The O's need the starter depth. I can't see them trading Norris even if Gausman wins the 5th starter role. One injury and the O's are in trouble. Yoon is a complete unknown at this point.

The only way I see a Norris trade is if the O's acquire another starter.

They could sign Joe Saunders with the idea that he takes Patton's place for the first 25 days of the season and then moves into the rotation when/if Norris is traded. What happens when Gausman comes up would be up for grabs.

The neat thing from a GM's perspective is, it gives Dan insight on which players other teams would be willing to move and at what value they would likely move them for. Other than that, I agree with an above post in thinking we wait to trade Norris until we know what we have or know that we have a surplus at the position.

They could sign Joe Saunders with the idea that he takes Patton's place for the first 25 days of the season and then moves into the rotation when/if Norris is traded. What happens when Gausman comes up would be up for grabs.

Saunders is a step backwards at this point. He would be minor league depth on a cheap contract.

Archived