Bud Norris drawing trade interest

fearthenoodle

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They could sign Joe Saunders with the idea that he takes Patton's place for the first 25 days of the season and then moves into the rotation when/if Norris is traded. What happens when Gausman comes up would be up for grabs.

Big question is would you rather have Joe Saunders than Bud Norris? The thing people seem to forget about Bus is that he pitched in some important games as a starter for us last year in the 2nd half and as a starter went 4-1 and I can remember a game vs the Red Sox in particular where he held his own quite well. I think keep the guy and just have SP depth as opposed to trying to squeeze 5-6 starters out the entire season. Odds are, the rotation will change at some point throughout the season as it always does why not keep the guys you have and go with it? I realize that getting a pick back would be valuable but not at the extent of downgrading what you have.

Norris will have much more value as a SP or a RP this year than anyone we get back in a trade for him, IMO.

And anyone we replace him with in the rotation is likely going to be a downgrade unless it's E. Santana.

Exactly! I am a big fan of Ervin Santana too because I think he's a competitor and goes out there and honestly wants to dominate every time but I don't even know that in OPACY he's an upgrade over Norris. We have to remember with Santana in mind that we lose yet another pick (so you're essentially trading Norris for a player and a pick ideally, and giving up a pick all over again) and Norris has proven, even if it is just the second half last year, that as a starter he can hold his own in the AL East. I like our guys as buck says and don't know that we are going to get a return worth giving him up for. Just my opinion.

Roch says NL teams are scouting Norris, but Seattle is a good match. They were looking to add another SP, but Santana looks too expensive, and they aren't going to go through the Joe Saunders experience again.

You better throw EdRod in there or SEA is hanging up

quick.

I think trading Bud Norris has a lot more to do with Kevin Gausman than Joe Saunders or Ervin Santana.

I agree. I definitely think the idea there is more geared towards having Gausman in the rotation which I don't see as anything but valuable but at the same time while it was limited work, Norris wasn't phenomenal out of the Pen last year (if we went the route of moving him to the pen and keeping him with Gaus in the rotation) and Miggy has already seen some issues with health, while minor, in spring training which should be a red flag for the fact that we could lose a rotation guy at any point in the season and having the depth weather it be Gausman in waiting, or a guy like Norris/Yoon out of the pen to put in the rotation, is a good problem to have.

I don't think Seattle has anything to do with Joe Saunders anymore, they declined his option I'm pretty sure he is just a free agent that we could sign if we decided we wanted to.

He was talking about trading them Norris for Franklin. That doesn't come close to getting it done.

Bud Norris for Drew Storen. Sign Ervin Santana. We add about $5 million in payroll. We get a better starter and a closer.

The Nats have Strasburg/Gio/Zimmerman/Fister/Detwiler as their rotation. The first 4 are unquestionably leagues ahead of Norris. I don't think the very minor upgrade, if it's an upgrade at all, from Detwiler to Norris is going to land you a reliever who dominated in 2012 and 2011 before having a fairly unlucky 2013.

Archived