Cards @ Baltimore in August -- What Should I Know about Camden, Baltimore, etc?

CardsFanBob

Federal Hill is bustling with 25-35 year old demographic and walking distance to the stadium. Everything near Cross Street Market sounds like what you want. Adam Jones has a burger named by him at Abbey Burger Bistro, I highly recommend that place.

Much closer to the stadium then Fell's Point, but you can take a harbor taxi over there.

Science Center and Aquarium are always fun if it rains one day.

I don't have any more specific ideas, but a room at a smaller Inn around there would be a fun weekend.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wanted to throw a second nod to Harbor East as an option for this nice St. Louis guy. There are a number of hotels over there, the food is better, there is more going on at night, it feels safer you're way closer to the fells point nightlife scene (easily walkable), and it only adds about 10 min to the walk to the stadium from staying in the "old" inner-harbor. IMO, it's a way better base of operations from which to experience baltimore for a weekend. If your only objective was baseball, obviously, it doesn't make as much sense as the inner harbor, or if you were old and the walk bothered you, again, i would say stay closer, but to me, it's the best option. Just my two cents. There are nice, relatively new hotels there for every budget, as well (from the Courtyard up to the Four Seasons, with the hilton places and Marriott in between).

Hope you have a great trip to our city Bob.

Yup, this seals the deal. Inner Harbor east. Thanks so much -- and thank you for the kind words!

I like to think most of us here in St. Louis try to accommodate opposing fans as much as possible. Baseball is a gentleman's sport, after all... Unless you're a Cubs fan... or a Red Sox fan. Ha.

I believe bars close at 2 am. I feel your pain, we have a 30 month old, and we're usually just thrilled to get a solid night of sleep.

Cabs are generally pretty plentiful in the downtown area. It shouldn't be too hard to find one. The hotels often have cab stands that you can grab on from as well.

Oh, you definitely know our pain! My wife has taken the brunt of the getting up, with her still on leave. It's going to be rough when we're both working. But well worth it!

Outstanding. Thank you!

It's sounding like Inner Harbor is the way to go, with a cab ride to Fells Point for an evening. By the way, how are cabs in Baltimore? Plentiful -- or a pain in the a$$ to find? St. Louis is SLOWLY catching up with the times and it can be a huge hassle to find cabs at times.... That's why I ask.

How late do bars stay open in Inner Harbor? 1 a.m.? 3 a.m.?

Then again, I may not need to know -- we just had our first child. And this will probably be our first get away without him. Watch us be in bed by 10:30 p.m. Haha.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm very impressed by your online community here.

Good Afternoon!

I hope you have a great time while staying here in Baltimore.

To add to the cab situation, a relatively new popular way to get around is Uber. Here is the link: https://www.uber.com/cities/baltimore

It is cheaper than cabs, you don't have to pay a tip, no cash is exchanged, and the cars are usually better than a cab (I've been a BMW and Mercedes). Additionally, you can place an order on your phone for an Uber ride, see who your driver is beforehand, and track them as they come to get you. You use your mobile device, your first signup you get a $20 credit (Should be plenty to get to Fells).

Enjoy!

Yup, this seals the deal. Inner Harbor east. Thanks so much -- and thank you for the kind words!

I like to think most of us here in St. Louis try to accommodate opposing fans as much as possible. Baseball is a gentleman's sport, after all... Unless you're a Cubs fan... or a Red Sox fan. Ha.

Oh, you definitely know our pain! My wife has taken the brunt of the getting up, with her still on leave. It's going to be rough when we're both working. But well worth it!

Harbor East is a very new area, well located, and nice hotels, but its not ole'Balmer if you know what I mean.

You can access Fells Point from the Harbor via water taxi. They shut down "early" (before bars close, or at least they did in my previous life when I used to go to Fells Point bars. :beerchug1:)

My brother lives in Federal Hill -- walking distance to Camden Yards and Ravens Stadium. Very much a similar "bar vibe" as Fells Point. Or you could take Uber between a Harbor-based hotel and Fells Point if the walk is too far.

Baltimore's "iconic" beer is National Bohemian (Natty Boh). I don't drink it, but my hubs likes it. There are some craft beer stands in the ballpark on Eutaw St (down near LF), and inside the ballpark (RF lower). Might be one behind home plate area also. And I forget what they serve. Flying Dog?

I visited St. Louis the final year of Busch II and had a blast. I hope you have a good time in B'more.

Great to hear you had a good time in St. Louis! If you have a chance to come back, you should! When Busch III opened, a bunch of new bars and restaurants opened up around it. Ownership just opened "Ball Park Village" across the street from Busch this year. Definitely much more going on these days.

And thank you for the recommendations! Federal Hill. I'll look into the area.

Staying in the Inner Harbor is fine, but it is definitely a tourist trap. The good thing about Baltimore is that it's so small, that everything is a short cab ride away. It may be a good idea to stay in the Inner Harbor since it's a central location, and then you'll be able to walk to Camden Yards, grab a cab to Fells Point or Harbor East and then back to your hotel afterwards.

As far as game day experiences go, a trip to Pickles Pub before the game is always a good time, but it can get pretty crowded, especially on Fridays and Saturdays.

If you're into craft beers, I highly recommend heading down to Fells Point at some point and checking out Max's Taphouse. They have 102 beers on tap and 1200 bottles there. I live in Fells Point so I am at Max's often.

Yeah, it sounds like Harbor is a good spot to set up, due to proximity. Then, we'll either walk or cab it.

Pickles is a must! I'm thinking we'll go before both games...

Federal Hill is bustling with 25-35 year old demographic and walking distance to the stadium. Everything near Cross Street Market sounds like what you want. Adam Jones has a burger named by him at Abbey Burger Bistro, I highly recommend that place.

Much closer to the stadium then Fell's Point, but you can take a harbor taxi over there.

Science Center and Aquarium are always fun if it rains one day.

I don't have any more specific ideas, but a room at a smaller Inn around there would be a fun weekend.

Another vote for Federal Hill. Now, my interest is peaked. Maybe we need to stay a few more days? haha.

Harbor East is a very new area, well located, and nice hotels, but its not ole'Balmer if you know what I mean.

Yeah, my wife works in Harbor East and I think of it as farely sedate, mostly office buildings, high rise apartments, a handful of upscale shops, and some mediocre restaurants with a few good ones mixed in.

This past weekend, I stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn & had some friends stay at the Marriott next door, both ran over $300 per night. After the extra innings game on Saturday, we walked to Power Plant Live!. It's indeed a good place for a night to let just let go.

Good Afternoon!

I hope you have a great time while staying here in Baltimore.

To add to the cab situation, a relatively new popular way to get around is Uber. Here is the link: https://www.uber.com/cities/baltimore

It is cheaper than cabs, you don't have to pay a tip, no cash is exchanged, and the cars are usually better than a cab (I've been a BMW and Mercedes). Additionally, you can place an order on your phone for an Uber ride, see who your driver is beforehand, and track them as they come to get you. You use your mobile device, your first signup you get a $20 credit (Should be plenty to get to Fells).

Enjoy!

Nice! Yes, I used uber when in Chicago last year. It was very helpful! Thank you for this info! We'll probably go this avenue.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Yeah, my wife works in Harbor East and I think of it as farely sedate, mostly office buildings, high rise apartments, a handful of upscale shops, and some mediocre restaurants with a few good ones mixed in.

The Charleston is over there and probably the best restaurant in town. $150 a person and worth it if your in to that kind of thing.

But for fun at the bars close to the stadium, I'll take Fed Hill.

This past weekend, I stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn & had some friends stay at the Marriott next door, both ran over $300 per night. After the extra innings game on Saturday, we walked to Power Plant Live!. It's indeed a good place for a night to let just let go.

That looks a lot like our Ballpark Village... Sure enough, same developer -- Cordish. With it being so close to where we'll probably be, we'll very likely check it out. Thank you!

The Charleston is over there and probably the best restaurant in town. $150 a person and worth it if your in to that kind of thing.

Yes, I've been there and Chingale, both very good, but take way too long to dine at around a baseball game. Bagby Pizza is pretty good at what it does as is Fleet Street Kitchen. A few kind of mediocre restaurants around there too. It's just kind of sedate.

Hmmm. Well, that's not as a resounding recommendation. I like to think of us as foodies. But then again, this is a baseball trip, so we may not be overly particular... I mean, if you've been drinking beer all day at the park, it's a bit silly to drop $300 or $400 on dinner.

The night we get in will probably be Thursday. We may try and find a nice restaurant. We're very much into wine -- we go to Napa every year -- are there any superb wine bars/restaurants in the area anyone would recommend?

Come on, really? A few blocks? It's not like he'd be stepping out of the DMZ or something. This is not The Wire, despite how many actual Baltimoreans seem to believe that.

If the man wants to cut loose and have some drinks, get OUT of the harbor. Go to Fells, go to Canton, go to Fed Hill (watch out for d-bags, though), go to Hampden, go to Station North. Go experience some interesting Baltimore places.

The problem with Baltimore is its hard to tell when the neighborhood shifts from safe to trouble and it can happen fast. If you don't know the city, it can all look kind of scary. Makes it harder for tourists to just wander around town.

I agree your good within a few blocks of the inner harbor, but a few blocks the wrong direction from Lexington Market and maybe not.

Generally a good idea to know where you are and how to get home as it gets later in the evening.

Honestly, its not a good idea to wander the streets of any city at 3 am especially unfamiliar streets.

Hmmm. Well, that's not as a resounding recommendation. I like to think of us as foodies. But then again, this is a baseball trip, so we may not be overly particular... I mean, if you've been drinking beer all day at the park, it's a bit silly to drop $300 or $400 on dinner.

The night we get in will probably be Thursday. We may try and find a nice restaurant. We're very much into wine -- we go to Napa every year -- are there any superb wine bars/restaurants in the area anyone would recommend?

I'd recommend Woodberry Kitchen. You'll need a car to get there, but worth the trip. Great food with a nice wine list and far less expensive than Chinghiale and Charleston.

The problem with Baltimore is its hard to tell when the neighborhood shifts from safe to trouble and it can happen fast. If you don't know the city, it can all look kind of scary. Makes it harder for tourists to just wander around town.

I agree your good within a few blocks of the inner harbor, but a few blocks the wrong direction from Lexington Market and maybe not.

Generally a good idea to know where you are and how to get home as it gets later in the evening.

Honestly, its not a good idea to wander the streets of any city at 3 am especially unfamiliar streets.

This. It's not that it's the DMZ, but there's no reason to put yourself at risk and I didn't say don't GO to those areas, I said I wouldn't walk to them. Those areas are all fine once you're there.

Archived