vs. ROYALS, 4/25

OFFNY

I always get stuck having time to watch full games when Jimenez is pitching. So damn frustrating.

Then I look at gamecast and see Ervin Santana with a .72 ERA this year and already thru 4ip tonight with...zero walks

Hopefully Jimenez can turn it around...like last year after April.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Machado triples in his second at bat at Frederick.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">April 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I always get stuck having time to watch full games when Jimenez is pitching. So damn frustrating.

Then I look at gamecast and see Ervin Santana with a .72 ERA this year and already thru 4ip tonight with...zero walks

Hopefully Jimenez can turn it around...like last year after April.

Yeah. Ervin has been very good. He could never have passed an Orioles physical for a four year deal and he was not signing a one year make good in the AL East. When Ubaldo signed or even when he decided to take a one year. I guess that was a situation that we could not win on. I hope we get the good Ubaldo at some point. I am encouraged by seeing the 93 on the gun tonight though.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I wonder if -12.4 feet is a typo.  The worst outfielder in MLB averages -5.3 feet on his jump.  Now, that’s an average, not one play.  But still, -12.4 seems outrageously bad for a relatively fast OF like McKenna.  He averaged +1.2 feet each of the last two years.  
    • For some levity… The radio broadcast had a HS kid on with them in the booth during an inning. They let him do play by play for a batter and it just so happened to be the Mullins HR.  It was a pretty cool moment. 
    • It was a very poor defensive play by Cowser. He took a bad angle to the ball that made him late getting to the ball. But the biggest issue is that he totally "panicked" and airmailed a throw that basically overthrew both Cowser and Westberg, eventually weakly one-hopping to Urias who had no chance at the runner at that point. Cowser has never been known for taking great routes and last night it ended up hurting the team. Obviously Cowser had a game he'd like to forget last night and yes, he's cooled off at the plate as the opposition is working breaking balls away from him right now and he's not made any adjustments.  Can't get too upset with him over his at bat against Miller last night as he did foul off several 101-102 MPH fastballs and Miller is that good. Sure, we all wanted him to get that runner over, but if it were easy, he would have done so. Most batters nowadays are taught about doing damage, and not about having "quality at bats" like moving runners over. If he did just try to move him over, it's not like its very easy to do against Miller's stuff.  
    • We were -265 favorites last night. I think we were only that big of favorite for a handful of games that year. Before last year, you’d probably have to go all the way back to 2016 or possibly even 2014 to find a game where we were favored by that much.  So I can understand the let down, but it happens over 162. We need to score some runs. We already blew out the elbow of the AL All Star closer from last year.  We’re working on Kimbrel the NL All Star game’s closer.  The offense is to blame. Big time. Can’t just shut down and give away ABs. 
    • More from the Sun Statcast gave Toro’s batted ball an expected batting average of .740, but the tracking data also projected right fielder Ryan McKenna’s probability of making the catch at 85%. However, McKenna, who joined the Orioles on Friday in replace of demoted prospect Jackson Holliday, got a bad jump on the liner directly over his head, with Statcast measuring his jump at negative-12.4  Looks like he got a bad jump though to be fair that can happen with that type of hit.  Guy put on for defensive purposes need to make that play though. 
    • I honestly want to know this, but how old are you? How long have you've been watching baseball. I mean, sure, last night's game was not fun, but to say you won't watch much the next week over one game of a 162-game schedule just seems like you are putting too much emotion into one game and letting it affect the rest of your life. I mean, the Orioles are a better team than the A's, no one would argue otherwise, but even the best teams get beat 60 times a year and yes, sometimes the "inferior" team is going to win. I mean, the A's get paid too. Those guys are professionals that a trying their best for many reasons. Do you think they go into the game with the Orioles and think, "There's no way we can win this game?" No, they go into the game thinking anything can happen because what baseball history tells us that anything can happen, particularly in one baseball game no matter who is starting or what the records of the teams are. Sure, we can point to the things that went wrong last night and there are valid things to discuss like the fact that the bullpen is short at least one impact reliever (a guy that doesn't need to be taken out for platoon advantages and can pitch in high leverage situations effectively), Kimbrel has been used a ton already, and two defensive miscues in the outfield by outfielders with good defensive chops cost the team.  But they are nothing more than talking points. A loss is a loss. They are not fun. Ninth inning blown saves and losing in extras is not fun for the team or the fans. But, what we do know is the Orioles will be back tonight and they have a better chance of winning than losing due to the team's records. Does that mean they SHOULD win?  Statistically speaking they should, but that certainly does not mean they will. It's baseball and it's a long season. It's ok to vent in the game threads, but don't let it spill over into the main forum. 
  • Popular Contributors