Orioles Draft

It would be great, but if the kid is hoping to go higher than 90, the Orioles don't have much money to pry him away from college.

Does it take much money? Very few actually turn down their slot. Very few.

Does it take much money? Very few actually turn down their slot. Very few.

If he's a 3rd round talent, then it won't. If he falls for whatever reason and the Orioles get a chance to pick a back-end 1st round/early 2nd round talent in the 3rd, it might. With the money the O's have available, they might have to punt rounds 4-10.

I'm not draft guru by any means, but have the O's basically punted this draft? They don't get a pick until 90, but I don't know how deep this draft is.

They expect to get pieces that will help the organization in the future. 2.3 million dollars worth of talent in rounds 3 through 10. Probably another million after that.

The OP says our total pool money is 2.2M. If the Orioles spend another million after round 10, after spending 2.3 before that, I think they'd be in for some serious penalties. Doesn't sound like the O's.

I think they may give any round after ten 100,000 per. And I know that they can exceed the first ten pool by up to 5 percent without real penalty.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/6/5/5781090/2014-mlb-draft-rules-regulations-guide-basics

Beyond the first 10 rounds, any signing bonus that surpasses $100,000 goes towards the cap in place for the first 10 rounds. As a hypothetical, if a team signs an 11th round pick for $200,000, $100,000 of that bonus goes towards the allotted budget for the first 10 rounds.

The OP says our total pool money is 2.2M. If the Orioles spend another million after round 10, after spending 2.3 before that, I think they'd be in for some serious penalties. Doesn't sound like the O's.

What the heck are you talking about?

The pool money is for the first ten rounds. Any player selected after the first ten rounds may receive a contract for up to 100K without effecting the pool money.

Calm down. Haven't been keeping up with the draft like in the past because of no picks in the top rounds. So sorry! I thought we had recently talked about saving money in early rounds and that's how we signed Keller and Ayers last year.

Rules haven't changed since they added the competitive balance picks.

Sorry if I was brusque but that was a serious brain cramp on your part if you didn't think the O's could spend a million total for the entire draft after round ten. They can go 100K each all day long.

O's have, on average, 275K each for players selected in rounds 3-10 and up to 100K for each pick after. You can save money from the first group to go over on the second group.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/big-names-remain-available-for-third-and-final-round-of-mlb-first-year-player-draft?ymd=20140606&content_id=78568162&vkey=news_mlb

1 PM today for the final round.

J.B. Bukauskas (No. 38) informed teams last month he intended to attend North Carolina

Keith Weisenberg (No. 65) and Mac Marshall (No. 66) have been firm in their commitments to Stanford and LSU.

• No. 73 Bryce Montes de Oca, a right-hander from Lawrence (Kan.) High School

• No. 77 Cobi Johnson, a right-hander from J.W. Mitchell High School in Florida

• No. 89 Keaton McKinney, a right-hander from Ankeny Centennial High School in Iowa

• No. 90 Jeren Kendall, an outfielder from Holmen (Wis.) High School

• No. 97 J.J. Schwarz, a catcher from Palm Beach Gardens High School in Florida

• No. 98 Evan Skoug, a catcher from Libertyville (Ill.) High School

I've never seen the Orioles have a draft quite like this one. So far, 10 of our first 11 picks are college guys. 8 are pitchers, and 5 of those are left-handed.

You think they might be fast-tacking some of them to be relievers?

Apparently "grow the arms, buy the bats" is in full force. This is the most pitcher heavy drafting strategy I can ever recall.

All pitchers, All the time. And if all else is equal, make them a lefthander.

Archived