And that's why Joseph catches most games

Tony-OH

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That one straightened out on him. Maybe he did throw a four-seamer there, but it was most likely a sinker that just didn't sink. I couldn't stomach a replay and left the room as soon as I saw Beltran hit the ball. I honestly never saw where it landed. That's how fast I left the room before I had to break something. :D

Roch just reported it was a 96 mph fastball on the Beltran HR.

Roch just reported it was a 96 mph fastball on the Beltran HR.

Um, that still doesn't mean it wasn't a sinker that didn't sink. It really comes down to grip. Very few pitchers can throw a 96 mph sinker, Britton can. When they don't sink they are classified as fastballs.

The next person that complains about Joseph catching because he's hitting .141, I give you the exact reason why he's the everyday catcher. With his closer overthrowing and struggling to command his sinker, he calls 26 straight sinkers until Beltran deposits one over the fence. That was Wieter-esque game calling with no feel for the game or the pitcher by Hundley.

Absolutely. Caleb has a feel for pitch calling and for the game in general. Hundley needs to be on the bench or in Norfolk.

Bob Melvin would've pulled him! Was Hunter or anyone even warming up?

This is flat out ridiculous. Britton has almost been unhittable. It's not going to happen every night, but as Tony suggests you can mitigate downside by having the right guy behind the plate.

Nick Hundley looks like Billy Brubacher and plays worse than Paul Bako.

The bottom line is unless we get a major league catcher WE ARE EFFED!

Then we're EFFED. Teams don't just give away legit Major League catchers.

Also, I will never forgive you for reminding me of Paul Bako. I'd totally blacked him out.

Um, that still doesn't mean it wasn't a sinker that didn't sink. It really comes down to grip. Very few pitchers can throw a 96 mph sinker, Britton can. When they don't sink they are classified as fastballs.

It was a two-seamer that Hundley set up very low and Britton threw very high. Was probably out of the strike zone. Beltran said in the post-game that he was looking for a high fastball and he got it.

Before the Beltran bomb, the O's pitchers had given up 7 walks and 10 hits. Only great D and the pitchers' grittiness had kept the Y's down. And if people are going to pile on Hundley about this, you also have to do away with his no-hitter spoiling double (run scored) and perfect sac bunt (setting up the third run)--Odds are not good that Joseph would have supplied those. I give him credit for just handling Ubaldo and his endless deep counts and 6 walks. Surprised he could hit and handle the next few pitchers after that!

Bob Melvin would've pulled him! Was Hunter or anyone even warming up?

No he would not have. Britton blew it. He was over amped. Hundley did not help things. It was a poor outing from Zach. The three one pitch with a base to give needed to better quality.

The next person that complains about Joseph catching because he's hitting .141, I give you the exact reason why he's the everyday catcher. With his closer overthrowing and struggling to command his sinker, he calls 26 straight sinkers until Beltran deposits one over the fence. That was Wieter-esque game calling with no feel for the game or the pitcher by Hundley.

I agree...I could not believe CJ wasn't brought in the game in the ninth for both his pitch calling and his defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That happened a lot more often when he was starting. The pitch is very hittable when he gets it up a bit and it straightens out.

Archived