And that's why Joseph catches most games

Tony-OH

I agree...I could not believe CJ wasn't brought in the game in the ninth for both his pitch calling and his defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck won't do something like that to a catcher, would seem like disrespect.

And of course there is the whole what if Caleb gets hurt and they have no one to catch business that managers worry about too much.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seemed Hundley and all the pitchers had a tough time adapting to the high strike zone all night. It was a recipe for disaster when you keep asking your sinkerballer to throw the ball up because low strikes are not getting called. I don't know how much Joseph could of helped in that situation. The worst call of the night was having O'Dea throw a fastball over the plate to Soriano in the 8th on a 1-2 count instead of getting him to chase.

How is this on Hundley..

How many times are we going to watch Buck sit on his hands as his designated closer gets rocked on a night he doesn't have it.

Last year they use to show stats of how the league had an OPS > 1.0 after Jim Johnson exceeded 20 pitches.

Tonite Britton was wild high and Buck let him give up a walk off HR on his 27th pitch, with a rested Tommy Hunter in the bullpen.

Inexcusable managing

What!? You are dogging Buck for not bringing in Tommy Hunter to face the Yankees in a critical situation!??? That is mind blowing. If Buck brings in Hunter and Hunter blows the game, then you would have been going ape *!#@ on the board.

What!? You are dogging Buck for not bringing in Tommy Hunter to face the Yankees in a critical situation!??? That is mind blowing. If Buck brings in Hunter and Hunter blows the game, then you would have been going ape *!#@ on the board.[/quote

He sure would have.

That one straightened out on him. Maybe he did throw a four-seamer there, but it was most likely a sinker that just didn't sink. I couldn't stomach a replay and left the room as soon as I saw Beltran hit the ball. I honestly never saw where it landed. That's how fast I left the room before I had to break something. :D

Me too...the last thing I wanted to see last night was Roberts out there celebrating.

I think you misread. I was never a fan of Wieter's game calling and felt Hundley called it like Wieters would have.

Wow, I always felt Wieters was overrated. Just had no ideas others felt this way.

Joseph needs to hit better than .140 though, sorry to break it to you though. That's pathetic and on no other team would he still be starting. It DOES matter.

But point taken about last night. Buck could have brought Joseph in though if he felt there was an impact, correct? Any thoughts if that was a main contributing factor why he didn't?

Me too...the last thing I wanted to see last night was Roberts out there celebrating.

After giving pitchers advice on how to get out Manny. Ugh.

Me too ... the last thing I wanted to see last night was Roberts out there celebrating.

If it makes you feel any better, he wasn't out there celebrating today ......... unless it's one of his family member's birthdays.

It was a two-seamer that Hundley set up very low and Britton threw very high. Was probably out of the strike zone. Beltran said in the post-game that he was looking for a high fastball and he got it.

Before the Beltran bomb, the O's pitchers had given up 7 walks and 10 hits. Only great D and the pitchers' grittiness had kept the Y's down. And if people are going to pile on Hundley about this, you also have to do away with his no-hitter spoiling double (run scored) and perfect sac bunt (setting up the third run)--Odds are not good that Joseph would have supplied those. I give him credit for just handling Ubaldo and his endless deep counts and 6 walks. Surprised he could hit and handle the next few pitchers after that!

Best post of this thread IMO.

Hundley is taking some unnecessary criticism here IMO. It's obviously not an easy job catching MLB pitching. Also, I think it's kind of amusing when people blame the catcher when a pitcher gives up a game winning hit or a home run. It's up to Britton to have a feel for what is working for him as well. Further, he can always shake off Hundley. Also, sometimes you get beaten and you have to give credit to the other team. ( Yes, even begrudgingly to a hated team like the Yankees.) . That's what happened the other night. Tomorrow Britton may come in and throw 16 straight sinkers and have a clean 1-2-3 inning and a save.

Buck won't do something like that to a catcher, would seem like disrespect.

And of course there is the whole what if Caleb gets hurt and they have no one to catch business that managers worry about too much.

Caleb wins the games he catches against the Yankees.

Archived