(Almost) All Things Manny Machado....

EagleOriole

Just now, Aglets said:

is it better to have a good chance at re-signing a star player.........and have him spurn you and go to your most hated rival?

Or is it better to know ahead of time that you have no chance of re-signing him and try to get a decent return?

I think the former is worse.........although obviously as long as Manny's trade value keeps decreasing it hurts more and more.

But I think I would be much more angry if I really thought we would re-sign Manny in the offseason and then he left leaving us with nothing.   I'm mad enough about how much we're paying Chris Davis and how that might hurt our ability to sign others.

I dont think Davis has a damn thing to do with paying Manny. They have never once acted like they wanted to try and sign Manny.

DD did say, when asked about the high dollar Davis contract that the team was fiscally sound and it would not impact their ability to broker a deal with Manny in the future. True, he may be just blowing smoke.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I get so damn discourage about even thinking of trading Manny.

I get this is a business, but dangit, it sucked seeing Moose leave, and this will rank right up there, if not worse.

It won’t feel as bad to me, because it’s been obvious this was going to happen for several years.    Moose was a more avoidable situation.   He had made his desire to stay pretty clear so long as the O’s met his price, which was reasonable.

Also, there’s something about having a great starting pitcher.   Every fifth day, you look forward to the game knowing you have a good chance to win.   Right now,  I certainly don’t go into games thinking we’ll win because Manny is playing SS.

Just now, Frobby said:

It won’t feel as bad to me, because it’s been obvious this was going to happen for several years.    Moose was a more avoidable situation.   He had made his desire to stay pretty clear so long as the O’s met his price, which was reasonable.

Also, there’s something about having a great starting pitcher.   Every fifth day, you look forward to the game knowing you have a good chance to win.   Right now,  I certainly don’t go into games thinking we’ll win because Manny is playing SS.

Good point, but, would you still feel that way, if it was Brooks or Cal, they were talking about trading?

I also think, Peter breaking his promise to Mussina, played a large part of my opinion of the team at the time.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't care where he goes.

Brewers or Yankees it is all the same to me.

I think this is wrong for a few reasons.

They do have similar colors I guess tho so I suppose I can understand a little confusion.    ;)

I keep hoping that Manny is dealt to the Braves.  I'd love to see us target 19-year old outfielder Drew Waters (Advanced A), and 21-year old RH starter Touki Toussaint (AA).  Kolby Allard (AAA LHSP) or Ian Anderson (Advanced A RHSP) could potentially headline the deal. There are other teams' packages that could certainly suffice, but I prefer the Braves potential return over the others.  I'm not expecting the Braves to pull the trigger on Manny, but a guy can dream, right? ?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I keep hoping that Manny is dealt to the Braves.  I'd love to see us target 19-year old outfielder Drew Waters (Advanced A), and 21-year old RH starter Touki Toussaint (AA).  Kolby Allard (AAA LHSP) or Ian Anderson (Advanced A RHSP) could potentially headline the deal. There are other teams' packages that could certainly suffice, but I prefer the Braves potential return over the others.  I'm not expecting the Braves to pull the trigger on Manny, but a guy can dream, right? ?

If they throw in Ryan Flaherty I think Duquette pulls the trigger.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good point, but, would you still feel that way, if it was Brooks or Cal, they were talking about trading?

Well, they traded Frank and Eddie, my two favorite players.    I was 14 when they traded Frank, who was my idol.  The O’s had been to the World Series four times in six years, including the previous three in a row.    That trade was incomprehensible to me at the time, even though the O’s had Don Baylor waiting in the wings.    The Eddie trade, on the other hand, was inevitable but still made me sad.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, they traded Frank and Eddie, my two favorite players.    I was 14 when they traded Frank, who was my idol.  The O’s had been to the World Series four times in six years, including the previous three in a row.    That trade was incomprehensible to me at the time, even though the O’s had Don Baylor waiting in the wings.    The Eddie trade, on the other hand, was inevitable but still made me sad.  

Weaver always said had they known the DH was coming Frank never gets dealt. 

Eddie was always my favorite. Shame it played out the way it did. At least he came back in 1996.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Frank was before my time as an Oriole fan.

I hated to see Eddie go, but he asked to be traded, so I didnt get too worked up about it, other then I thought it was stupid.

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Devers is 21 years old and a former top 5 prospect.  The O's would be lucky to get a player that good back for Manny.  He's been struggling, but look at his age.  

For sure.  That was my point, it's ridiculous to laugh at the potential of getting Devers.  I'd be thrilled in a vacuum, but this team needs a lot of good young players, not one really ground young players imo.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Especially if they package Britton with Manny, there could be a match.  Waters, Toussaint, Allard, Fried, Riley (choose 4).  Who says no?

54 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Especially if they package Britton with Manny, there could be a match.  Waters, Toussaint, Allard, Fried, Riley (choose 4).  Who says no?

Braves say no, not because of value, but because they're ahead of schedule in their rebuild. I don't see them mortgaging the future for a present that's already been a success based on preseason expectations. Of course, we all know Alex Anthopolis is a gunslinger so anything is possible, but I seem them going for more controllable guys rather than rentals. The only way I can see them doing a rental is at 3B if they can keep Riley for next year and don't completely drain the farm. If the Orioles would do Allard and Waters plus a throw-in for Manny, I could see Atlanta possibly doing it, but I think adding in a Britton would cost too much talent for the Braves given where they are in their rebuild. They're not half way through their window, they're just at the beginning.

That said, I'd do Allard and Riley plus one of the other three listed (and a lower level lottery ticket type) for Manny and Britton myself, but don't see it happening.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Braves say no, not because of value, but because they're ahead of schedule in their rebuild. I don't see them mortgaging the future for a present that's already been a success based on preseason expectations. Of course, we all know Alex Anthopolis is a gunslinger so anything is possible, but I seem them going for more controllable guys rather than rentals. The only way I can see them doing a rental is at 3B if they can keep Riley for next year and don't completely drain the farm. If the Orioles would do Allard and Waters plus a throw-in for Manny, I could see Atlanta possibly doing it, but I think adding in a Britton would cost too much talent for the Braves given where they are in their rebuild. They're not half way through their window, they're just at the beginning.

That said, I'd do Allard and Riley plus one of the other three listed (and a lower level lottery ticket type) for Manny and Britton myself, but don't see it happening.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Good post and I agree.  Though I would love to raid the Braves system if at all possible.