vs. YANKEES, 7/11

OFFNY

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch 39s

Gonzalez: 7 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts, 2 HRs, HBP. 101 pitches, 65 strikes. Comes back out for 8th

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Ken Singleton and David Cone on YES were insinuating that Gonzalez hit Kelly Johnson intentionally, as retaliation for Oriole batters that were previously hit.

Singleton in particular has made similar claims in the past, which is why I find him particularly annoying when he announce Oriole-Yankee Games.

Here is a thread that I started 2 years ago about the matter:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/119818-Singleton-Pitch-over-Nick-Johnson-s-Head-was-a-Purpose-Pitch

(FROM 2012:)

In the bottom of the first inning tonight, right after Freddy Garcia's pitch sailed over Nick Johnson's head, Ken Singleton chimed in. When he first started to say something, I was sure that he was going to say that that was NOT a purpose pitch with 2 runners on base in a 1-1 game. But he said the opposite. Even Michael Kay questioned Singleton, saying "You really think it was a purpose pitch?" Singleton said, "Yes. In light of Russell Martin claiming that Andino was stealing signs last night, followed by Andino's rant, Freddy Garcia isn't going to take that. Garcia just isn't going to take that."

Garcia wasn't going to take that? And with 2 runners on base, early in a 1-1 game?

I've already made my feelings known about Singleton showing a particular dislike for the Orioles when he announces Oriole-Yankee games on YES. This is an example of my perception of this.

As a Yankee announcer, I would expect him to favor the home team, regardless of the fact that he played for the Orioles, the Expos and the Mets when he was a player. Almost all team announcers are homers to varying degrees. I just think that he does it a little more so when the Yankees play the Orioles.

Get Miguel out of there while we're still in it. Keep him in the bullpen
Buck you got a nice break coming up get Gonzo out of here before it gets ugly.

These posts were made in the 4th inning. Gonzo went 3+ more innings after this and allowed no runs. It's impossible for the bullpen to have done any better, and probably they would have done worse.

Yet I'm willing to bet that if we have a starter struggling in the 3rd or 4th inning tomorrow, the same voices will be leading the parade to "get him out of there".

I'm glad Buck has more patience than a lot of game thread posters, that's for sure.

I am generally opposed but if you are going to do it, that was a pretty good time to do it.

Just aim center mass so no one gets injured.

For a very long time I was completely opposed, no reason to ever hurt another player....but over time I have become to accept it as part of the game and also realize these pitchers are so good, they can do it right and hit another player safely if they want too....

The more the one of them plays, the better the other looks in comparison.

Flaherty could go to bat 25 times against Kuroda and he will never get a hit. Unless the pitcher makes a ridiculously bad mistake, Ryan cannot hit pitches low in the zone. He either misses them or rolls over them weakly. His upper cut swing is just not a major league swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These posts were made in the 4th inning. Gonzo went 3+ more innings after this and allowed no runs. It's impossible for the bullpen to have done any better, and probably they would have done worse.

Yet I'm willing to bet that if we have a starter struggling in the 3rd or 4th inning tomorrow, the same voices will be leading the parade to "get him out of there".

I'm glad Buck has more patience than a lot of game thread posters, that's for sure.

He still threw a ton of fat pitches that just weren't hit, and probably should have given up at least another run except for the injured McCann running. But all in all you cant complain about this performance.

Archived