Orioles will be watching Ian Kennedy tonight.

Greg

Kennedy isn't worth it. He would be another good but not great starter. He would be a slight upgrade over whoever he replaced in the rotation but doubtful he would be worth what it cost to get him when you consider the difference between him and whoever he replaces.

Jorge De La Rosa makes zero sense to me. Sure he gives them another lefty starter but he just isn't very good. I hope they don't make a move for him just to make a move.

Realistically the Os aren't going to go after names much bigger than these guys unless there is a big shift and the organization considers moving Gausman, Hunter, Bundy.

Without knowing what the O's would have to give up to get him its kinda hard to say that is true.

His peripherals sure look better than several guys on the current staff but I always have reservations about a guy like him coming from the NL to the AL.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Among qualified MLB starters:

7th in k/9 (ahead of Sale, Greinke, Hernandez, Lester, Hamels, Kazmir and virtually everyone else!)

14th in xFIP (ahead of Zimmerman, Scherzer, Wainwright, Kazmir, Hamels, Gray, Shields, Sanchez...just behind Bumgarner and Darvish)

15th in FIP (ahead of Sanchez, Scherzer, Tanaka, Samardzija, Cueto, Price, Hamels, Gray, Teheran, Bailey, Shields...just behind Greinke and Bumgarner)

27th in WAR (ahead of Teheran, Hamels, Shields, Verlander, Bailey, Ventura...just behind Gray and Bumgarner).

Maybe not a top 10 starter in the MLB but he's definitely been a top 30 starter (ACE!) and arguably top 20 or top 15.

His 2 closest comparables seem to be Gray and Bumgarner from a statistical standpoint.

As for the concern of coming to the AL East, OPACY hasn't exactly been a band box this season if you know what I'm saying...

This guys good. Frontline ace? No. But he is an ace, at least for this season, and not a mediocre one.

How would these number rank Ubaldo's 2013?

Among qualified MLB starters:

7th in k/9 (ahead of Sale, Greinke, Hernandez, Lester, Hamels, Kazmir and virtually everyone else!)

14th in xFIP (ahead of Zimmerman, Scherzer, Wainwright, Kazmir, Hamels, Gray, Shields, Sanchez...just behind Bumgarner and Darvish)

15th in FIP (ahead of Sanchez, Scherzer, Tanaka, Samardzija, Cueto, Price, Hamels, Gray, Teheran, Bailey, Shields...just behind Greinke and Bumgarner)

27th in WAR (ahead of Teheran, Hamels, Shields, Verlander, Bailey, Ventura...just behind Gray and Bumgarner).

Maybe not a top 10 starter in the MLB but he's definitely been a top 30 starter (ACE!) and arguably top 20 or top 15.

His 2 closest comparables seem to be Gray and Bumgarner from a statistical standpoint.

As for the concern of coming to the AL East, OPACY hasn't exactly been a band box this season if you know what I'm saying...

This guys good. Frontline ace? No. But he is an ace, at least for this season, and not a mediocre one.

Like I said before, nice work bringing the stats.

I'm one of those types that differentiate between a #1 and an Ace and I don't think Kennedy fits on the "climb on my back boys, I got this" group.

As you have shown, he has had a fine year so far.

2.94 FIP

3.09 xFIP

3.12 SIERA

3.49 ERA, 3.09 FIP, 3.25 xFIP on the road

3.92 ERA, 2.80 FIP, 3.00 xFIP at home

9.67 k/9

2.32 bb/9

Sure looks like an ace to me.

Kennedy, Gausman, Tillman, Chen, Jimenez/Gonzalez/Norris

Sure looks mighty fine to me.

Sounds great! But you have to think somebody goes back to San Diego. Gonzalez? Norris? Tillman even? I can't imagine all seven staying in the bigs; Gonzalez or Norris could go to the pen as a long reliever but I don't see both doing that. Chen has to be kept because he's left handed.

BTW, Rosenthal mentioned something after his Orioles bit about Asdrubal Cabrera. He could if necessary play 2B. THAT could be an interesting option. Switch hitter with fairly even splits... career 106 OPS+ with a bat that is heating up this season... he could allow Schoop to be sent down while Flaherty keeps his reserve IF role. What do you all think Cleveland would want for him? They have a top prospect waiting in the wings to replace Cabrera.

Sounds great! But you have to think somebody goes back to San Diego. Gonzalez? Norris? Tillman even? I can't imagine all seven staying in the bigs; Gonzalez or Norris could go to the pen as a long reliever but I don't see both doing that. Chen has to be kept because he's left handed.

Not sure what it would take but he'd be a great second tier option behind Price/Lee/Hamels...

2.94 FIP

3.09 xFIP

3.12 SIERA

3.49 ERA, 3.09 FIP, 3.25 xFIP on the road

3.92 ERA, 2.80 FIP, 3.00 xFIP at home

9.67 k/9

2.32 bb/9

Sure looks like an ace to me.

Kennedy, Gausman, Tillman, Chen, Jimenez/Gonzalez/Norris

Sure looks mighty fine to me.

And here folks is why we should get him

FIP of O's starters compared to era FIP/ERA

Tillman 4.56/4.11

Gonzo 5.22/4.04

Ublado 4.69/4.52

Chen 4.41/4.15

Norris 4.73/3.96

Gausman 3.33/3.51

Our defense keeps are starters ERA down by alot. Kennedy would be around 3.00 ERA for us. Also that's why Schoop and Joseph get so much playing time. On the surface Kennedy looks like an above average NL pitcher but he has been a top 30 starter in all of MLB this year.

Hasn't that been Kennedy over the years as well?

Yes. But not this season. His strikeouts and ground balls are up and his walks are down. In the last 5 seasons he's pitched like a 1 or 2 twice, high end 3 or 4 twice, and a 5 starter once. Also, this team has a chance at the division. Don't you think its worth it to acquire him, even if he may pitch like a 3 or 4 next season, but pitch like a TOR starter the rest of this season?

Archived