Gonzo being offered as trade piece.

Redskins Rick

Ian Kennedy is a better pitcher than Gonzalez and this year he's in an entirely different league.

He IS in an entirely different league...the National one. That may not translate well, it often doesn't. I am a Migy fan, esp against the AL East.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The deal makes more sense if it's gonzo + for Kennedy and Benoit. Our bullpen would be lights out. And since we don't have a true ace, in the playoffs we could go to our pen in the 6th inning every game. Plus Benoit would provide us insurance in case we can't re sign O'day.

That's precisely what I was thinking.

Kennedy and Benoit for Gonzo, Berry (and Wright?)

Would that work?

That's precisely what I was thinking.

Kennedy and Benoit for Gonzo, Berry (and Wright?)

Would that work?

Have you seen Wright pitch this year? Or check his stats: 1-8 and can't get out of the 3rd inning. Why would anyone want him?

People often overvalue our guys, not only because of homerism but because they're pitching infront of the best defense in baseball. If you throw these guys onto a team with an average defense they're likely not going to be anywhere near the same guy, Miguel included. But if we get a pitcher like Kennedy who has already proven to be good with mediocre defenses, then thats a no brainer.

People often overvalue our guys, not only because of homerism but because they're pitching infront of the best defense in baseball. If you throw these guys onto a team with an average defense they're likely not going to be anywhere near the same guy, Miguel included. But if we get a pitcher like Kennedy who has already proven to be good with mediocre defenses, then thats a no brainer.

You just hit the nail on the head

Kennedy has proven nothing of the sort. His peripherals look good, but ERA+ adjusts for park factors and he is the beneficiary of pitching in PETCO among other spacious NL West parks. For career he's average (100) and this year 95. Kennedy is no ace.

Miguel Gonzalez has a career ERA+ of 111 and this year is at 97. Cole Hamels on the other hand is at 123 for his career. You want to package MiGo with prospects for someone who will make a difference, otherwise we keep him.

He IS in an entirely different league...the National one. That may not translate well, it often doesn't. I am a Migy fan, esp against the AL East.

Other than the Blue Jays and Orioles (which he wouldn't have to play against for obvious reasons) the other three AL East teams are not really offensive juggernauts. They are in the bottom-half in runs scored. This isn't the AL East of old. I think we all need to understand that.

I'm a huge Gonzo homer obviously, but what about the past east failures of a guy like Burnett and Kennedy (much SSS and younger, but still) suggests that they'll survive in the now resurgent AL BEast. The Yankee Slayer has proven that he can deal in the division.

Take a peak at what Phil McCracken Hughes is doing in MSP to see how successful pitchers are outside the division.

I think getting out of Yankee stadium was beneficial

The AL East is just not that good...

And, then there is this...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/phil-hughes-to-the-max/

Except that Jake and Hammel have done quite well without our stellar defense behind them. I think there are many reasons that MiGo would be an above average pitcher, under cost control for other teams.

Except that Jake and Hammel have done quite well without our stellar defense behind them. I think there are many reasons that MiGo would be an above average pitcher, under cost control for other teams.

Hammel was pretty good at times here. Consistency was lacking though. Lets see how he does in Oakland.

I would only trade MiGo if we are getting back a better pitcher and it allows us to keep KG, Bundy and Harvey. Ian Kennedy is better but I have concerns with how his game would translate here. He is a flyball type guy pitching in a pitcher friendly park. I would prefer a pitcher who keeps the ball on the ground more and thus our excellent defense would benefit them more. Not totally opposed but not exactly in love with the idea of Kennedy.

Archived