Orioles - Phillies trade proposal ESPN Insider

Roll Tide

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the O's best plan would be to wait until the last minute to make a deal with any team. Right now teams that are selling have all the leverage and are using it. They are asking for top notch prospects and hoping some team will panic and pull the trigger. Wait until the last day of FA and place a call and the price will be much more reasonable.

I think this is generally correct and fairly characterizes Duquette's and, before that, MacPhail's negotiating approach.

The Orioles don't need Paplebon. Their BP could be improved just as well by getting a solid 7th or 8th inning guy.

And that guy might be Bundy...btw.

As for a better starter? I'm not trading Harvey unless that starter is top of the rotation, game changer type stuff. Burnett is not that. In fact Burnett was skipped the second time around in the playoffs last year by the Pirates.

The Orioles don't need Paplebon. Their BP could be improved just as well by getting a solid 7th or 8th inning guy.

And that guy might be Bundy...btw.

As for a better starter? I'm not trading Harvey unless that starter is top of the rotation, game changer type stuff. Burnett is not that. In fact Burnett was skipped the second time around in the playoffs last year by the Pirates.

Bundy does not look close to ready to help the MLB team this year.

If I'm giving up Hunter Harvey I'm getting something better in return than a 33 year old closer and a 37 year old starter who isn't much better, if any better at all, than our current 5 starters.

And we're giving up Berry and Bridwell too? No thanks.

+1,000,000. I don't mind a win now trade, but that's giving up far too much for old highly paid players.

I think even the Phillies have gotten the memo at this point.

The same FO that got the Phillies into their present mess is still running the show. It has no ability to start over radically--something it would be incompetent at doing--but only incrementally (hesitantly), with pangs of regret all along the way. With the proper financial incentive, I can see them viewing Ubaldo as a good transitional element. He's a lot younger than what they're trying to unload and is much more of a known entity than prospects they might get--and about whom they probably don't trust their own judgment.

That said, I'm not compelled to unload Ubaldo. I'm fine with giving him lots of chances to achieve his best form. But if the right package comes along, you have to give it a look.

I think even the Phillies have gotten the memo at this point.

I can easily see them losing it under a pile of cheesesteak wrappers or sending back nothing but emoticons in response.

Guest rochester
I think this is generally correct and fairly characterizes Duquette's and, before that, MacPhail's negotiating approach.

Which, of course, is the definition for "percolating".

I don't want any of the Phillies old cast-offs and, especially, their payroll. The insane payroll is what got them here in the first place. And worse, what they would want in return is not worth even discussing IMO. I am in the camp that believes we do not need a Chase Utley-type to some in and play second - the return of good prospect(s) and added payroll is not worth it - I would look elsewhere for someone more cost-effective and doesn't cost (in prospects) as much in return, if we believe a 2B is an essential need to get to and win in the playoffs.

Cliff Lee is a different story - if we wish to go further than the first round we need a boost in the starting pitching, but the only way Lee ends up here without sacrificing serious talent is if we eat his entire cost.

The gist of the trade idea is awful IMO. Britton has been fine as closer. We could always use another quality bp arm and it is not the worst idea to get an experienced closer and push Britton to the setup role, but not at the expense of Harvey.

Outside of getting a TOR starter, I think the type of offensive upgrade at 2B to Utley is exactly the type of move we should consider. On paper, that is a pretty large improvement. Not sure of the appropriate cost to acquire Utley, but I doubt it would require one of our top five minor leaguers.

Nine teams to which Cliff Lee cannot block trades are the Braves, Indians, Astros, Marlins, Twins, Mets, Padres, Rays and Nationals

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/' rel="external nofollow">

AL Scout report

“His fastball command was off and he wasn’t nearly as precise as usual. He threw too many hittable pitches, and his overall stuff was flatter than normal. Give him another start before rushing to judgment. He threw strikes, but not with the level of precision he typically does.”

"Lee is owed $9.43MM through season’s end (that number drops to $8.2MM from July 31 through season’s end), and he’s guaranteed $25MM in 2015. His $27.5MM vesting option triggers with 200 innings pitched next season, but even if he doesn’t hit that mark, it remains a club option with an incredible $12.5MM buyout."

Which, of course, is the definition for "percolating".

I don't want any of the Phillies old cast-offs and, especially, their payroll. The insane payroll is what got them here in the first place. And worse, what they would want in return is not worth even discussing IMO. I am in the camp that believes we do not need a Chase Utley-type to some in and play second - the return of good prospect(s) and added payroll is not worth it - I would look elsewhere for someone more cost-effective and doesn't cost (in prospects) as much in return, if we believe a 2B is an essential need to get to and win in the playoffs.

Cliff Lee is a different story - if we wish to go further than the first round we need a boost in the starting pitching, but the only way Lee ends up here without sacrificing serious talent is if we eat his entire cost.

If Utley falls into our laps in a moment of Amaro Despair (no loss of top prospects, help with the salary), I'm all for picking up a rejuvenated LH-bat (we sorely lack LH hitters) who has often been a terror in the post-season at a position that hasn't stabilized for now *five* years running. But his contract is a killer and I think it's unlikely a way can be found for the O's to carry it.

Archived