Change to HoF Voting

Can_of_corn

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hall of Fame announces changes in voting for recently retired players, reducing length of stay on ballot from maximum of 15 to 10 years.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Three candidates currently on ballot in years 10-15 will be grandfathered in and be considered full 15 years: Mattingly, Trammell, Lee Smith</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now is this an attempt to unclutter the ballot?

Or is it an attempt to make it more difficult for those with a PED tainted past to get in?

One thing is for sure, there are going to a number of folks (Edgar Martinez) that have strong cases that won't get in.

I would also say this hurts Mussina's chances.

In addition, the Hall will now require an Internet registration of the approximately 625 eligible members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America and those voters will be notified about a specific code of conduct regarding the handling of that ballot. Voters will be asked to formally agree to a stipulation that their ballot is non-transferable with a penalty of permanently losing that vote.

So no more selling your vote to Deadspin but it is fine to turn in a blank ballot or only name Jim Morris.

Typical. I expected to see a change of that nature to the voting.

Terrible decision, doesn't make any sense. Raines' and Trammell's chances just dropped to zero. Blyleven never would've stood a chance. What problem is this supposed to solve?

It is going to be interesting to watch the SABR-community's Tim Raines lobbying in view of this news (I count myself part of this). After the eventual success of Blyleven, I felt confident Raines would eventually get the enshrinement he so well deserves, but this muddies the water considerably. I would expect the intensity of the tone of Raines proponent appeals to spike now.

It is going to be interesting to watch the SABR-community's Tim Raines lobbying in view of this news (I count myself part of this). After the eventual success of Blyleven, I felt confident Raines would eventually get the enshrinement he so well deserves, but this muddies the water considerably. I would expect the intensity of the tone of Raines proponent appeals to spike now.

Maybe some year in the future, the Veterans committee will be lead by advanced statistically minded folks. Not. TWTW!

Darnit, I was hoping you were a big hall guy weams.

I don't think this will have all that much of an effect, really, except for a few names already on the ballot. The BBWAA body is gradually getting better and moreso the Veteran's Committee will get fresher names to consider for their modern-era vote. Sooner or later the guys that we think have a decent HOF case will get in. I just hope they're alive to accept their plaque.

Darnit, I was hoping you were a big hall guy weams.

I don't think this will have all that much of an effect, really, except for a few names already on the ballot. The BBWAA body is gradually getting better and moreso the Veteran's Committee will get fresher names to consider for their modern-era vote. Sooner or later the guys that we think have a decent HOF case will get in. I just hope they're alive to accept their plaque.

It kills Martinez and Raines and hurts Mussina.

Has the revamped vet committee put in any modern players yet? I don't think they have.

Edit- I see they did add Santo in 2011.

Archived