Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

That's an opinion.

Personally I was GOD DAMN glad to be rid of Jake! Ed Rod less so but no big deal. Fodder.

Arrieta was horrible in 2013. He was 27 and out of options. He started 5 games and was horrible in all 5 of them. He had a 4.41 ERA in his last tour at Norfolk. He was DFA material. Somehow we got something back for him. I'd wait on proclaiming Ed Rod Curt Schilling for a bit. We all saw what happened to Parades once the advanced scouts got a hold of him.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eduardo Rodriguez and Jake Arrieta are the two best pitchers to come through the Orioles system since Mike Mussina....and the Orioles traded them for two rental players.
Wow!! That is quite an accomplishment for 20.2 innings of MLB. And I agree completely, why I was just thinking about when you warned everyone that the best the Orioles pitcher developed in nearly 2 decades should not be traded...and then Eric Bedard walked by and I just can't stop laughing.

Seriously.

Brad Bergesen was worth 3.1 rWAR and 2.0 fWAR in his rookie campaign. A short bout of success is a bit light to make that statement. As foxfield alluded to above, 20.2 innings is a bit early to be putting EdRod anywhere close to that status.

Also, it's funny to compare Bedard's numbers with the Orioles to those of Arrieta when considering the statement. It's very clear who had done more and who was more valued by others around the league at the time.

One of the issues for me with the EdRod trade (and the Jake trade) is that either our front office knew it was paying a steep price in trade or it did not have an appropriate evaluation of EdRod at the time of the trade and did not realize how good he was/would become. I do not like to paint folks into corners where I think they are wrong no matter the option chosen, but both players started performing like all-stars as soon as they left the organization compared with mediocre stats when they were traded.

Keith Law put it right - the BoSox had the most value in the trade - they received the most relative to what they gave up. Not a pleasant description to hear about an Orioles trade.

Eduardo Rodriguez and Jake Arrieta are the two best pitchers to come through the Orioles system since Mike Mussina....and the Orioles traded them for two rental players.

So E-Rod is his own item on MLB Network's Quick Pitch show's scrolling bar as a topic leading into the Os-Sox highlights. Any chance that would be the case if he were not a member of the Red Sox at this point? Said differently, were he still an Oriole, would he be receiving the same attention (I think I know the answer)?

Wow... that's quite a reach!!

Obviously from a results standpoint nothing will compare to the Glenn Davis trade.

Yes. By some measures that's the worst trade in MLB history. By fWAR from the point of the trade until the end of the various players' careers the O's lost that one 137.9 to 0.4. That's kind of like trading the entire career of Hank Aaron for Ryan Lavarnway.

So E-Rod is his own item on MLB Network's Quick Pitch show's scrolling bar as a topic leading into the Os-Sox highlights. Any chance that would be the case if he were not a member of the Red Sox at this point? Said differently, were he still an Oriole, would he be receiving the same attention (I think I know the answer)?

Mike Wright's first two MLB starts he didn't allow a run, and gave up three in his first 19.1 innings. How many times did he get featured on SportsCenter? (I'm really asking, I very rarely watch national sports media.)

Mike Wright's first two MLB starts he didn't allow a run, and gave up three in his first 19.1 innings. How many times did he get featured on SportsCenter? (I'm really asking, I very rarely watch national sports media.)

Given that ESPN headquarters is a mere 2 hour drive to Boston, might explain some of this.

I find it funny that people are using the Arietta trade to bolster their argument that the Os shouldn't have traded EdRod. If anything, not trading Arietta when he was a prospect with a lot of value and letting him languish before finally giving up on him is support FOR trading EdRod. And, of course, there is Exhibit B--Matusz.

I find it funny that people are using the Arietta trade to bolster their argument that the Os shouldn't have traded EdRod. If anything, not trading Arietta when he was a prospect with a lot of value and letting him languish before finally giving up on him is support FOR trading EdRod. And, of course, there is Exhibit B--Matusz.

There's going to be some level of complaining no matter what they do. But the Orioles have to err on the side of usually giving their prospects the chance to succeed. That's the primary way they're going to get value out of the pre-arb players they need to compete with teams that have more resources. If you make a habit of trading prospects for established talent the payroll quickly becomes unsustainable.

I loved Andrew Miller and don't really question that trade. It was worth it to go for it last season. But that doesn't mean it won't be painful to watch EdRod in a Red Sox uniform for several years to come, if he's anything close to as good as he'd been the first few starts.

I had gotten out of my dentist appointment and was watching it at a restaurant. Everybody went crazy went Delmon hit that double. One of the best O's moments I've ever had!
I was actually at the game. It was an incredible moment. I went crazy and so did everyone else around me.

Oh, I completely agree. I guess that's my point, actually. If this was a theme (i.e., trading prospects for rentals) then I'd better understand a lot of the hostility towards it and I'd agree. But the theme has been the opposite and it has at times burned us, so I don't mind going for it every once in a while and trading a prospect.

The front office took a shot at a piece that could have helped win a WS by trading a prospect who could be a stud or could've turned into Matusz or much worse. I can maybe question their talent eval of EdRod but I don't hate the concept (again, as long as it is used sparingly).

EDIT: Reply fail--supposed to be in response to Drungo's comment number 312.

Apparently I voted Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod, which certainly is looking like the right choice now. However, I gotta say that as last season went on, if you'd polled me again, around playoff time, I probably would've changed my tune. And if we'd won a WS I'd definitely be singing a different tune right now. This trade was one of those gambles, you don't know EdRod is gonna be a hit and you don't know how far the Orioles will go. Was it too much to give up? Oh yes, it looks like it, but it's the type of move you can debate about forever.

Worse than the Glenn Davis trade? Seriously?

As Drungo pointed out, the guys the O's gave up in the Davis trade combined for a career fWAR of 137.9.

So if Eduardo Rodriguez single-handedly compiles a career WAR of 138 or more, we'll talk. Until then, nothing will top the horribleness of the Glenn Davis trade anytime soon.

Wow!! That is quite an accomplishment for 20.2 innings of MLB. And I agree completely, why I was just thinking about when you warned everyone that the best the Orioles pitcher developed in nearly 2 decades should not be traded...and then Eric Bedard walked by and I just can't stop laughing.

Seriously.

20.2 innings is more than Hunter Harvey and Dylan Bundy will probably pitch combined this year. The point is, the Orioles don't develop pitchers yet they still traded their only healthy prospect who also happens to to a lefty to a division rival. Cheap organizations need cheap talent.

The funniest part is that it's the same people who always complain about both things.
With all due respect if you deserve any.... Arrieta was a 5-6 era pitcher here that got tons of chances. I'm glad for him he's doing well in the NL. Jake needed a change of scenery and had very little value when he left. Everyone knew he had talent, but he could've easily faded away.

E Rod has a lot to prove to make the other half of your statement close to true.

Please see my post above. You're right, Arrieta did need a change of scenery. Why do you think that is?

But who thought that was likely to happen? The guy was given every chance in the world and failed. I'm not going to begrudge the Orioles for that. As for E-Rod' date=' he looks like he's going to be good and I can understand criticism for the trade, but let's wait more than 3 starts before putting him past someone like Bedard or Tillman.[/quote']

The Andrew Miller trade only makes a little bit of sense if the Orioles win the World Series and they resign him. The Orioles are a cheap organization that needs cheap talent to win and Rodriguez would have been cheap talent. Trading Rodriguez to a team in the division for a rental pitcher who is about to cost a lot of money was stupid. It's worse when you consider that he is a lefty and Bundy and Harvey are hurt.

Archived