In house 2B options

LookitsPuck

Ivan De Jesus

.300/.381/.420 - .801 OPS w/ Tides. Playing mostly SS and 2B.

His last 10 games: .366/.409/.585 - .994 OPS

Steve Lombardozzi

.286/.323/.324 - .647 OPS w/ Tides.

His last 10 games: .400/.455/.467 - .921 OPS

Jemile Weeks

7 day DL

Cord Phelps

.253/.349/.383 - .732 OPS w/ Tides.

His last 10 games: .314/.415/.371 - .786 OPS

Alexi Casilla

7 day DL

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Flaherty needs to be given the starting job, or at least play against RHP's. He was pretty good last season and has shown the ability to be a decent hitter. Anything is better than watching Schoop go up flailing and have terrible AB after terrible AB. Flaherty needs to start.

The Problem is only Dejesus has credible defense. The others don't and Scope is rated by the Fielding Bible as 4th best in MLB in RS among 2B, behind Pedroia, Kinsler, and D.J. LeMahieu. His DP % is the best of all of them. Those 3 have DP % ranging from .650 to .730. Schoop is .797. He is truly exceptional at turning DP and I am sure that's why Buck puts up with his terrible bat. I would go with a platoon a Flash and Dejesus myself, but I don't think Buck will.

Not sure why some people want to continue to see Flaherty get AB's. In 3 seasons with the Orioles he has "hit" .213' date=' 224, and .209. Id like to see another option,[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. Flaherty is useful as a sub because of his ability to play a very good 3rd and SS. Schoop needs at bats at triple A. I would take either DeJesus or Lombardozi on the next road trip and say the following to Schoop...

"You have a future as a major league 2nd baseman. You need to work on your plate discipline. Go down to triple A, feast on some easier pitching and we'll see you in September."

Not sure why some people want to continue to see Flaherty get AB's. In 3 seasons with the Orioles he has "hit" .213' date=' 224, and .209. Id like to see another option,[/quote']

He has a career OPS of .635. He is at .591 this season but had a .683 OPS last season while having more defensive value than Schoop has had this season, in less playing time. Schoop is at a pathetic .567 OPS right now and dropping steadily. At this rate he will be around .525 by the end of the year.

Flaherty has shown the ability to be a quality 2B and go on offensive tears (1.4 WAR last season in about a half season worth of playing time). Schoop hasn't shown anything in the majors or minors to suggest he's capable of starting in the bigs.

Right now Flaherty is the better option.

The Problem is only Dejesus has credible defense. The others don't and Scope is rated by the Fielding Bible as 4th best in MLB in RS among 2B, behind Pedroia, Kinsler, and D.J. LeMahieu. His DP % is the best of all of them. Those 3 have DP % ranging from .650 to .730. Schoop is .797. He is truly exceptional at turning DP and I am sure that's why Buck puts up with his terrible bat. I would go with a platoon a Flash and Dejesus myself, but I don't think Buck will.

Accept the O hole for his D. In Buck and DD I trust.

Flaherty is the much better option. Schoop has hit well below a .550 OPS the last 3 months while Flaherty has been over .600. Schoop is also has an OPS of .400 at home, which is somewhat irrelevant but ridiculous nonetheless.

Nice post.

J Paeredes will be the first guy called but when....

Paredes appears to be DD and Bucks shiny new toy. But when I looked at his record the only thing he seem to do well is steal bases. He plays a lot of positions but not well. He doesn't hit for OBP or power. I think they promote him in September and use him as a pinch runner. He is on his last option so he will have to make the 25 man roster next year or be waived. I don't see how he sticks around. Maybe I will understand more when he is called up.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Good grief. This infatuation with Flaherty is mind boggling.

Archived