** Magic Number **

hutchead

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riddle me this. Both ESPN and MLB Network are proudly proclaiming the Angels as the first team to clinch the playoffs. Tell me how this is possible

ALW

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

ALWC

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

KCR 82-67

If LA loses every game and KC runs the table, then KC beats out LAA. Sure they're inevitable, but so are the O's. We could be the first team to clinch, depending on the Nats game tonight, not LAA.

Riddle me this. Both ESPN and MLB Network are proudly proclaiming the Angels as the first team to clinch the playoffs. Tell me how this is possible

ALW

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

ALWC

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

KCR 82-67

If LA loses every game and KC runs the table, then KC beats out LAA. Sure they're inevitable, but so are the O's. We could be the first team to clinch, depending on the Nats game tonight, not LAA.

There are three spots available between the AL West champ, and two wild cards. Yes, both Oakland and Kansas City can overtake the Angels, but that still leaves one spot. And Seattle can only win 93 whereas the Angels have already won 94. Therefore, the Angels are in. However, the Orioles can become the first to actually clinch a division title tonight (depending on the Nats).

ALW

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

ALWC

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

KCR 82-67

LAA created too much space between themselves and the Mariners in the WC race. LAA at a minimum is the 2nd WC.

ALW

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

ALWC

LAA 94-56

OAK 83-66

KCR 82-67

If LA loses every game and KC runs the table, then KC beats out LAA. Sure they're inevitable, but are the O's. We could be the first team to clinch, depending on the Nats game tonight, not LAA.

If Oakland wins out and LAA loses out, LAA stands at 94-68 in a WC spot. Either Detroit or KC will be a division winner. So at worst, LAA is a WC and KCR or Det is a WC. Noone else can catch LAA.

Big night for MASN. Both their teams could become the first two teams to clinch division titles. And it could actually be done just seconds apart. Wouldn't that be neat! (as long as we were first!)

If that happens, will the Orioles actually own 80% of the NL East title?

There are three spots available between the AL West champ, and two wild cards. Yes, both Oakland and Kansas City can overtake the Angels, but that still leaves one spot. And Seattle can only win 93 whereas the Angels have already won 94. Therefore, the Angels are in. However, the Orioles can become the first to actually clinch a division title tonight (depending on the Nats).

Correct, but to add to that: KC and Detroit play three head-to-head. So at worst, LAA will be tied for the 1st & 2nd WC. Who cares what the tiebreaker for home field advantage for that is, until that scenario actually plays out... which it won't.

Correct, but to add to that: KC and Detroit play three head-to-head. So at worst, LAA will be tied for the 1st & 2nd WC. Who cares what the tiebreaker for home field advantage for that is, until that scenario actually plays out... which it won't.

Good thinking!

Archived