Dan Connolly: Orioles Still Trying to Obtain a Lefthanded Hitting Infielder

weams

MDO (most disrespected Oriole), the award goes to Delmon Young. Hands down. This guy has been great for us all year long, and still everybody wants him out of the lineup? Really? I hope they resign Delmon Young. Professional hitter.

You've got that right. He's done the job time and time again and there's no respect for him as a player.

Same ol', same ol'.

Even Buck didn't seem high on him until we got into June and he was forced to adjust the lineups more often. Young has been a solid bench dude and I really hope he returns next season. We've got the support we need and it still isn't enough for some fans.

I don't get it.

MSK

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've got that right. He's done the job time and time again and there's no respect for him as a player.

Same ol', same ol'.

Even Buck didn't seem high on him until we got into June and he was forced to adjust the lineups more often. Young has been a solid bench dude and I really hope he returns next season. We've got the support we need and it still isn't enough for some fans.

I don't get it.

MSK

I'm glad he's playing over his head and contributing to a fun season. Hopefully it continues through the end of the year. But he's a DH with no baserunning value and a bunch of baggage who's playing better than expected. You bring him back if you need a DH against lefties, and he'll sign for $1M or so.

He's Benny Ayala without the ability to field and a lingering concern about his makeup.

I doubt it. But if he did, so be it. The facts the facts, whether or not folks accept them.
So you think Buck would see Delmon is swinging the bat real well lately, seeing the ball well, his numbers for the last 28 days show he his hitting RHP well, and they show him to be a good match up with tonight's SP, but he would follow your advice anyway, and not start him, because Delmon's career numbers indicate he won't hit RHP well?

I'm glad he's playing over his head and contributing to a fun season. Hopefully it continues through the end of the year. But he's a DH with no baserunning value and a bunch of baggage who's playing better than expected. You bring him back if you need a DH against lefties, and he'll sign for $1M or so.

He's Benny Ayala without the ability to field and a lingering concern about his makeup.

I don't understand what you mean about baserunning value. Every commentator I've heard this year has made a comment along the lines of: "Delmon runs amazingly well for a big guy."

How many DHs out there are known to be speedsters on the basepaths?

In terms of baggage, are you referring to the mistakes he's made in the past regarding racial slurs and throwing the bat at the ump in the minors?

Since he's been on the Orioles I haven't heard a single negative thing about Young's demeanor in the clubhouse. Is he secretly operating as a clubhouse cancer?

Again, during the dark times, we wished we had solid guys like Young on the TEAM, not just on the bench. Why are we looking a gift horse in the mouth?

MSK

So you think Buck would see Delmon is swinging the bat real well lately, seeing the ball well, his numbers for the last 28 days show he his hitting RHP well, and they show him to be a good match up with tonight's SP, but he would follow your advice anyway, and not start him, because Delmon's career numbers indicate he won't hit RHP well?

I'm not saying Buck would follow anything I said. The conversation would either be kindly dismissing what I say, maybe flatly telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, or if I caught him in the right mood maybe he'd admit I'm right but say he wouldn't use that information because the players wouldn't buy into it.

Edit: But it's still true. The information is still valid, whether or not Buck acts on it.

I don't understand what you mean about baserunning value. Every commentator I've heard this year has made a comment along the lines of: "Delmon runs amazingly well for a big guy."

How many DHs out there are known to be speedsters on the basepaths?

Not many, I'm just saying that he brings no value on baserunning or fielding. All of his value is in hitting, primarily lefties.

In terms of baggage, are you referring to the mistakes he's made in the past regarding racial slurs and throwing the bat at the ump in the minors?

Since he's been on the Orioles I haven't heard a single negative thing about Young's demeanor in the clubhouse. Is he secretly operating as a clubhouse cancer?

Yes, exactly that. And it's nice that he hasn't done anything noteworthy so far with the O's. Maybe he's turned a corner, maybe he's matured.

Again, during the dark times, we wished we had solid guys like Young on the TEAM, not just on the bench. Why are we looking a gift horse in the mouth?

MSK

Because the Orioles are now a good enough organization that they don't have to place unwarranted value on a platoon DH. They have options, they know that guys whose only positive attribute is a .800 OPS against lefties are not rare, nor expensive, nor especially coveted.

I not saying Buck would follow anything I said. The conversation would either be kindly dismissing what I say, maybe flatly telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, or if I caught him in the right mood maybe he'd admit I'm right but say he wouldn't use that information because the players wouldn't buy into it.
You didn't really answer my question.

Because the Orioles are now a good enough organization that they don't have to place unwarranted value on a platoon DH. They have options, they know that guys whose only positive attribute is a .800 OPS against lefties are not rare, nor expensive, nor especially coveted.

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all. I just feel that Young is ignored and disrespected for his contributions. I don't believe he's the greatest DH of all time or anything - but he deserves some kudos for his performance and attitude thus far.

The most important thing at this time is that the Orioles are well on the way to clinching the AL East for the first time in what feels like a lifetime! :)

MSK

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all. I just feel that Young is ignored and disrespected for his contributions. I don't believe he's the greatest DH of all time or anything - but he deserves some kudos for his performance and attitude thus far.

The most important thing at this time is that the Orioles are well on the way to clinching the AL East for the first time in what feels like a lifetime! :)

MSK

Danny Valencia had a nice performance for us last season.

Archived