Why did Buck give that game away?

MrOrange82

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This moment has no impact on how people will remember the 2014 Orioles outstanding season nor affect how they play in the postseason. It's understandable to be upset about how this game was lost but it was meaningless for the Orioles. It was the Yankees most important game of the season, the O's had 3 errors, a BABIP way below .100, pitched their worst 5 relievers and still most likely should have won. It is disappointing but I think we can all agree that it is comforting to know that we will be playing postseason ball and thanks to us, the Yankees and Jeter will not.

When Jonesy10 is the voice of reason in a thread, you know some people have really gone off the rails :)

I'm hoping now that it's the next morning, some posters will realize that their comments last night were an emotional reaction and not based on any common sense.

I can't believe people seriously advocated intentionally walking Jeter in the 9th. Intentionally walking a guy with a .614 OPS -- with a righty-righty matchup, no less -- to bring up Brian McCann and Mark Teixeira, who are both far superior hitters (and bat lefty). That's awful, awful strategy, and no manager in his right mind would have done it.

Despite what some have said, that's not a situation where you absolutely have to set up a double play. The right strategy is to get the weak hitter out and then take your chances with McCann (or walk McCann and face Teixeira, if you prefer that matchup).

I'm also baffled by the people who are acting as if the game was a must-win for the Orioles. Why? I don't know if you realize this, but the O's clinched the AL East and an ALDS spot over a week ago. They're in the playoffs, and that doesn't get retracted if they lose a game to the Yankees.

Seems like a lot of people are tired of the Jeter hype and thus think the O's should've burned every good reliever to win the game at all costs. That's fine if you're a fan watching a game, but in the real world, the O's have more important things to worry about as they get ready for the playoffs. Like keeping pitchers healthy and fresh.

I may have to leave the board for good!!! the team is 95-64 and AL East Champs and 2nd seed. Have respect for the game!!! I hate the NYY just like everybody else but Jeez! So a great player who had a great career in his final home game had a walkoff! its a great moment!!! Enjoy it!

The O's are playing Serious October baseball in the words of Steve Somers! Jeter is all class and the O's players were very classy by taking in the postgame moment. Jeter acknowledged them and was classy! Some of you guys need to step away and realize sports is great theater. The O's may have this in the coming weeks!

REMEMBER: ITS JUST A GAME! I too need to realize this on occasion.

I was upset about it especially since the Yankees looked like they won the World Series. I had to turn it off.

Kind of like the 2011 Orioles team with a 69-93 record that ended the Red Sox playoff hopes with a come from behind win. How did they act?

[video=youtube;eryO9p4i_2c]

Guest rochester
When Jonesy10 is the voice of reason in a thread, you know some people have really gone off the rails :)

I'm hoping now that it's the next morning, some posters will realize that their comments last night were an emotional reaction and not based on any common sense.

I can't believe people seriously advocated intentionally walking Jeter in the 9th. Intentionally walking a guy with a .614 OPS -- with a righty-righty matchup, no less -- to bring up Brian McCann and Mark Teixeira, who are both far superior hitters (and bat lefty). That's awful, awful strategy, and no manager in his right mind would have done it.

Despite what some have said, that's not a situation where you absolutely have to set up a double play. The right strategy is to get the weak hitter out and then take your chances with McCann (or walk McCann and face Teixeira, if you prefer that matchup).

I'm also baffled by the people who are acting as if the game was a must-win for the Orioles. Why? I don't know if you realize this, but the O's clinched the AL East and an ALDS spot over a week ago. They're in the playoffs, and that doesn't get retracted if they lose a game to the Yankees.

Seems like a lot of people are tired of the Jeter hype and thus think the O's should've burned every good reliever to win the game at all costs. That's fine if you're a fan watching a game, but in the real world, the O's have more important things to worry about as they get ready for the playoffs. Like keeping pitchers healthy and fresh.

100% agree... This whole pull out all the stops for the best record (albeit with home advantage) is crazy IMO. Do you pull out all the stops and play like there is no tomorrow if you lose? I tend to believe that Buck is resting as many and as often the folks that may give us just a little advantage in the playoffs.. or better, if Pearce didn't rest, would his wrist gotten better trying to play through it? Or is it better to give him those days off, play him when he's ready so the rust doesn't accumulate and have him as close to 100% as you can when the real season begins.

I cannot believe anybody seriously thinks Showalter gave the game away as a way to reward Jeter. That is insane. And if it were ever to be revealed that he did in fact throw the game he should be fired.

Yes.

In fact, the day before, when it was a very real possibility that it might be Jeter's final home game (with the threat of rain for the next day) AND his final home plate appearance, Showalter changed pitchers in the bottom of the 8th inning, so that a right-hander could face Jeter ........ and the Orioles were winning by a score of 9-3 !!!

For this move, Showalter was booed incessantly by the Yankee crowd ...... but Buck did what was important for the Orioles, NOT what was important for Derek Jeter and/or Yankee fans. :cool:

ORIOLES - 9 OOO YANKEES - 3

Brian Matusz pitching.

Brett Gardner: Flyout to Centerfield.

Brad Brach replaces Brian Matusz pitching.

Derek Jeter: Groundout (1B to Pitcher.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA201409240.shtml

Obviously. Until he starts getting tired, then you pitch Paredes. Or the ball girl.

Obviously, this is sarcasm. So answer the question seriously: I want to know who you'd pitch for the unknown number of innings you might now have to get through....whether Meek was the ninth inning pitcher, or someone else, like who you apparently wanted (Britton?). You now have to get thru an undetermined number of innings, completely blow your plan for your BP, and wind up losing the game, still, to boot.

You anti Buck guys act like walking Jeter GUARANTEED a DP, which would have then WON THE DAMN GAME (everyone keeps saying "gave the game away" which implies it otherwise was somehow in the bag). No. Even IF that DP was guaranteed, which it certainly wasn't, it doesn't win the game, it guarantees you now might have to pitch a whole lot of guys you need to have rested....all your plans were to have them rested.

You see, this was the whole point of clinching...it means the rest of the games aren't quite as important as otherwise would have been. Buck has the luxury of not having to do stuff he otherwise would have had to have done. This was not about Derek Jeter!

Sorry folks but that just jinxed the hell out of us. Whether the Mariners sweep this weekend or not I'd like Buck to go. Sorry folks but we need a manager where winning is the most important thing at all times. Buck just warmed the seat at his next job. Flame on ***** I don't care. If you don't think that changed our season you didn't watch 152 games this year like I did. What a letdown. Why even go to the playoffs. Zero momentum. Zero.

out of a thread full of overly-emotional, whacko, ultraexaggerated off-base hyperbole-filled comments, you just took the Grand Prize with yours. Fire Buck Showalter? Oooooo-kay there.

Yes, and you're right, this loss is certainly going to change everything, just like all the other bad losses they've had all year long (and they've had them, for sure, sprinkled thru their schedule) have each sent the team into a death spiral! It really is a shame that this team is so prone to those darn long losing streaks.

Jeter ended up getting the best gift from the Orioles. We laughed about the crab mallet and hat, but this is one he'll truly remember.

I think he'd trade it all for a better average against the O's this year. He really struggled against us all year and was a big part of why the Yankees went 6-13 against us. Sure he gets the sentimental prize but he's still never playing meaningful baseball in Yankee Stadium again and it's because of in part how he hit against us in the previous 18 games we played them.

I cannot believe anybody seriously thinks Showalter gave the game away as a way to reward Jeter. That is insane. And if it were ever to be revealed that he did in fact throw the game he should be fired.

That is exactly what happened. You're naive and gullible (just like Yankee fans) if you think it just kind of worked out for Jeter in his last home game ever. Buck doesn't let anything past him, it's not like he just messed up and the result was Jeter winning the game.

Archived