Chen vs Right-handed heavy Tigers lineup

Tony-OH

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont blame Buck. This is 100% on Chen. He pitched smart when the game had no score, and then pitched stupid once they gave him a slim lead. Everybody could see the ump was calling strikes 3-4 inches off the outside corner, so why throw a letter high dead fish change up to Cabrera when he represents the tying run? Funny thing is it would have been better for the Orioles if that one had gone out to center. Instead, we had to endure three more shots off of and over the wall before Chen was put out of our misery.

Unfortunately this kind of gutless choke job has become the new Oriole Way for too me of our starters.

100% on Buck. You play the high % move. That is the manager's job. If it doesn't work, you blame the player or tip your cap to the other guy. But at the very least the manager's job is to put his team in the best position. Starting Chen against this lineup didn't do that, and the results showed it.

How is it not on Buck?

Fact: you have five pretty identically performing starting pitchers.

Fact: one of them is left handed.

Fact: Tigers hit better versus left handed pitching.

Why would you throw the left handed pitcher?

It really is on Buck. And it's a shameless double standard at that. Matusz gets left off the roster in favor of a righty. This guy had the best ERA of our bullpen since the all-star break 1.42.

Chen has been pretty good, and I can see giving him a start, but no way in Camden Yards

It's going to be 50 degrees in Det on Sunday, no one is going to hit any HRs

Not hindsight I said that Chen should be held for Comerica a week ago.

Yeah, DET would have been a better choice. Shame it just went downhill so fast today. 5 runs on 10 pitches. 3 would have been more survivable.

It really is on Buck. And it's a shameless double standard at that. Matusz gets left off the roster in favor of a righty. This guy had the best ERA of our bullpen since the all-star break 1.42.

No reason for Matusz to be on the roster. I don't see a double standard at all with that.

Although starting Chen with his and the Tigers' splits seems counter-intuitive, I'm reluctant to just say that Buck knew this was a bad idea and did it anyway out of some kind of misplaced loyalty. Buck is not stupid, nor does he like losing. I have to think he had a reasonble justification for the decision, but I'm not sure what that might have been.

Gonna be a tough pill to swallow if we lose the series, knowing we stuck with the guy that got us there instead of picking the best pitcher to match the Tigers lineup in the here and now. The fact that it was so predictable and just about everyone mentioned it makes it really really tough to swallow.

No reason for Matusz to be on the roster. I don't see a double standard at all with that.

No reason for Chen to be on the roster.

Do you want Chen to start vs the Tigers? No.

Do you think Chen in the bullpen would be better then Matusz? No.

No reason for Chen to be on the roster for this round.

Although starting Chen with his and the Tigers' splits seems counter-intuitive, I'm reluctant to just say that Buck knew this was a bad idea and did it anyway out of some kind of misplaced loyalty. Buck is not stupid, nor does he like losing. I have to think he had a reasonble justification for the decision, but I'm not sure what that might have been.

And you know the media won't ask the right questions to find out.

Gonna be a tough pill to swallow if we lose the series, knowing we stuck with the guy that got us there instead of picking the best pitcher to match the Tigers lineup in the here and now. The fact that it was so predictable and just about everyone mentioned it makes it really really tough to swallow.

There was closer to a half dozen of us. Lots of folks didn't think Gausman was ready for prime time.

Archived